• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

So how much money should we offer Aaron Judge?

Skinsfan21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Austin Powers Doctor Evil GIF
So how much money should we offer Aaron Judge?

This is the one that moves the needle.

He's a perfect fit: grew up a Giants fan, RHH, RF (decent fielder, btw).

He'll be 31 on April 26, 2023.

Currently Max Scherzer has the biggest annual salary at $43mm.

This guy says the offers should start at $300mm plus.

We have at least $100mm a year of cap room.

I'm thinking something like 7/315 or 8/360 ($45mm/yr), at least. I know it's a lot, but that is the market. We are competing against both NY teams, and I'm sure several others.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is laughable. To like it is even more laughable (sorry Cal). You say his best years are behind him, when he just had the best year of his career.

And I already addressed whether being 31 (and that doesn't happen for another 6 months) is a factor.

And what difference does it make that it was for another team? Absolutely none whatsoever.
Let’s make a bet right now…

I say he will never have a year as good as he had in ‘22…

you say he will have a year better than he had in ‘22…

name the terms.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let’s make a bet right now…

I say he will never have a year as good as he had in ‘22…

you say he will have a year better than he had in ‘22…

name the terms.
I'd rather make a bet on whether the Giants will win the bidding war for him. It has an immediate, yes/no, objective resolution. Either we sign him or we don't. Your proposed bet might take years to resolve.

But it would have to be an odds-driven bet, not just 50-50. I'm guessing right now that we have a 25-30% chance of signing him, more than any other team, but not near 50% or more.

Also, if he had two or three 45-50 HR years, with 110-120 RBI, that would hardly be a decline from his "best years". Your bet is too subjective.

Last edited:

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like any other big moves, it's a risk. Maybe it's Pujols again, maybe it's Barry Bonds again. Some people are risk averse. So much of success for teams is luck...

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd rather make a bet on whether the Giants will win the bidding war for him. It has an immediate, yes/no, objective resolution. Either we sign him or we don't. Your proposed bet might take years to resolve.

But it would have to be an odds-driven bet, not just 50-50. I'm guessing right now that we have a 25-30% chance of signing him, more than any other team, but not near 50% or more.

Also, if he had two or three 45-50 HR years, with 110-120 RBI, that would hardly be a decline from his "best years". Your bet is too subjective.
Dodgers are already trying to drive up his price.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His contract couldn’t sink a small country, though. The money being talked about for Judge can cause recessions. And pre-juice Bonds was a smallish player who could envision aging with some kind of grace. You don’t look at very large men and extrapolate them to staying athletics-healthy well into their 30s.

And dropping Bonds as an example of a long contract paying off is akin to dropping a stink bomb in a crowded theater…
I was pondering, during Judge's run at the AL home run record for a single season, about physique and suspicions of performing enhancing drugs. Remember when any baseball player got as hulking as Judge and there was an automatic assumption that there was usage? When Judge hit number 62, people were saying that he was the real home run king, not Sosa, McGwire and Bonds because all of them obviously used. Exhibit A was often Bonds' bulked up physique. The assumption was that he could only get that big with steroids. Why is it that Judge has never been accused (at least, I've never heard an accusation)? Did you know one thing both Bonds and Judge have in common? Neither tested positive for a PED . . . that we know of.
Sorry to go on a tangent on this thread. Personally, I am a fan of Judge. He played college ball at my favorite DI college (Fresno State). My rant is over.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was pondering, during Judge's run at the AL home run record for a single season, about physique and suspicions of performing enhancing drugs. Remember when any baseball player got as hulking as Judge and there was an automatic assumption that there was usage? When Judge hit number 62, people were saying that he was the real home run king, not Sosa, McGwire and Bonds because all of them obviously used. Exhibit A was often Bonds' bulked up physique. The assumption was that he could only get that big with steroids. Why is it that Judge has never been accused (at least, I've never heard an accusation)? Did you know one thing both Bonds and Judge have in common? Neither tested positive for a PED . . . that we know of.
Sorry to go on a tangent on this thread. Personally, I am a fan of Judge. He played college ball at my favorite DI college (Fresno State). My rant is over.
Same with Jim Thome and Junior. They were “swell guys”, so of course they were clean. I have no idea if they were clean. But they both played in the era where EVERYONE used, and they put up ridiculous numbers. It is harder to believe they were clean than it is to believe they were like everyone else.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Isn't there a provision for PED testing in the CBA?

EDIT: Answered my own question:

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Giants once spent nearly a quarter of a billion dollars on Cueto and Samardzija one offseason, I’m fine with giving Judge $300M

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thank you for your statement, Senator Johnson.
How the officer responding to that kept a straight face, I will never know. I hope he got a medal for surviving the torture of Johnson's ignorance.

At least he gets to tell the story of a lifetime for it.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How the officer responding to that kept a straight face, I will never know. I hope he got a medal for surviving the torture of Johnson's ignorance.

At least he gets to tell the story of a lifetime for it.
And how that story isn’t more well known is baffling as well. Perfect example, on video, of the absolute ignorance and stupidity of some of the senators of this country.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And how that story isn’t more well known is baffling as well. Perfect example, on video, of the absolute ignorance and stupidity of some of the senators of this country.
You're not implying that the media are protective of certain members of Congress, are you?

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyway, my gut tells me he wants to play in SF, and that we would win anything close to a tie in the bidding war.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyway, my gut tells me he wants to play in SF, and that we would win anything close to a tie in the bidding war.
He seems unhappy as a Yankee. I think he is done with the fan base. If he is, in fact, not married to the concept of remaining a Yank, than maybe we do have the inside track.

One of the Spank beat writers write yesterday that he believes the Giants are the front runners, and that he has herd from someone high up with the Giants that they will not be outbid for Judge.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He seems unhappy as a Yankee. I think he is done with the fan base. If he is, in fact, not married to the concept of remaining a Yank, than maybe we do have the inside track.

One of the Spank beat writers write yesterday that he believes the Giants are the front runners, and that he has herd from someone high up with the Giants that they will not be outbid for Judge.
Yeah my first take on this was just plain wrong. I thought all the Giants talk was to drive up the price for the Yankees but that relationship clearly has issues so the Giants are right in there with the Mets and Dodgers. How much does Judge value winning? Might feel he's closer signing as a Met or Dodger...

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The big advantage we have is that he is from Northern California (Linden, CA, just west of Stockton), as is his wife who he met in high school, and grew up being a Giants fan. He and his wife attended Fresno State.

So, presumably their families are in the area as well. That is a huge plus that they clearly can't get anywhere else. At the risk of being Captain Obvious, the A's won't be in the running.

Having been born and raised in Upstate NY, and having gone to college there, I can personally vouch that the NYC area is a TERRIBLE place to raise a family, which I presume the Judges want to do. Dangerous, dirty, crowded, frustrating, and getting worse every year. The same can be said for LA, where I also lived for 4 years.

Again, if we are anywhere close with the money, I believe he will sign with us.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The big advantage we have is that he is from Northern California (Linden, CA, just west of Stockton)
Meant to say that Linden is just east of Stockton.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The big advantage we have is that he is from Northern California (Linden, CA, just west of Stockton), as is his wife who he met in high school, and grew up being a Giants fan. He and his wife attended Fresno State.

So, presumably their families are in the area as well. That is a huge plus that they clearly can't get anywhere else. At the risk of being Captain Obvious, the A's won't be in the running.

Having been born and raised in Upstate NY, and having gone to college there, I can personally vouch that the NYC area is a TERRIBLE place to raise a family, which I presume the Judges want to do. Dangerous, dirty, crowded, frustrating, and getting worse every year. The same can be said for LA, where I also lived for 4 years.

Again, if we are anywhere close with the money, I believe he will sign with us.
Some people would say the same about San Francisco as well. And Stockton is no gem either. It has a reputation as being one of the most crime ridden cities in the Central Valley of California (stretching from just south of Bakersfield up to Redding and including Sacramento). If a safe place to raise his family is big on his mind, I have to wonder if he stays away from California teams. This from a lifelong California resident. Don't get me wrong, there are safe spots but I'm going off of what I've seen and heard about different places around the state.