• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Should the Bears be interested in Cam Newton?

JohnShadows

Bayesian
Hoopla Cash
$ 706.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just me looking from afar, but CAR has one quality win imo. (HOU week 4). This back half of the season I think is going to reveal that Allen is decent backup, stop gap starter.
This includes two games against the Saints, and have Packers this week. We're def gonna find out some things about Allen.
CAR will be in position to target Bridgewater...I wonder if they will.
Meh
IMO Cam is done as the player we came to know...just too many injuries, mentally I don't think he will be the same. The question is can he adjust his game to being a distributor and still be effective....Randall Cunningham changed his game.
CAR managed to move Kelvin Benjamin, and let Devin Funchess go to free agency. They've drafted Curtis Samuel, CMC, and DJ Moore. So they've moved away from the big possession receiver to the small burner. Norv's idea is to distribute and let them play in space, it's worked ok. I think Cam could adjust to that if the shoulder is 100%, he was doing ok before the injury last year.

As far as mentally, I don't agree at all. He's a competitor and wants to be out there. In fact, I think that's played a big role in him playing when he shouldn't have.

If they did decide to move him, it would be interesting to see what (draft/trade) they could get.

Last edited:

JohnShadows

Bayesian
Hoopla Cash
$ 706.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am a Dak skeptic, I think he is average, but he looks like Joe Montana compared to Trubisky.
Would you say he's somewhere below Foles, and above Wentz? :)

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As far as mentally, I don't agree at all. He's a competitor and wants to be out there. In fact, I think that's played a big role in him playing when he shouldn't have.

If they did decide to move him, it would be interesting to see what (draft/trade) they could get.

Mentally...we've all seen what kind of competitor Cam is, and I'm sure he wants to be out there, but after so many injuries it's human nature to have different mental approach to the game as he played it. If he comes back taking on LBs as he's done in the past, I would say he's nuts.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am a Dak skeptic, I think he is average, but he looks like Joe Montana compared to Trubisky.

I think he's above avg if we're looking at all 32. Somewhere 10th to 12th ranking imo. The real issue here is the contract...the minute he signs for $25 mil-30 mil per he's going to be way over paid, but that's the NFL these days.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he's above avg if we're looking at all 32. Somewhere 10th to 12th ranking imo. The real issue here is the contract...the minute he signs for $25 mil-30 mil per he's going to be way over paid, but that's the NFL these days.
If Dak signs for 25M I'm doing back flips, bad back and all, if he signs for 30M in dancing in the streets.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cam gets hurt more in the pocket than when running. CAR hasn't been the same at LT since Jordan Gross retired (Oher was playing ok, then got concussed out of the league). But whatever, the shoulder injury is the most troubling -> he had to change his mechanics, looks to have lost significant arm strength even after the surgery. He may well be on the way out, physically.

I just think you give the former MVP who took you to a super bowl another shot. $17m ain't that much in today's QB market.

17M may not be much on the free agent market, but if you can win with Allen, that $17M can buy you upgrades elsewhere to further support Allen.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone seems to think "Kyle Allen is the future of the Panthers" is legit (especially the media). Fact is, he's been turning the ball over too much, his mistakes are being covered over by CMC's insane production. Panthers should just be patient, let Cam get healthy, and see if he can return to form.
I agree with you on Allen not being the future. I do think for as cheap as he is, he is worth keeping as a reliable back-up though. He now has some experience and can play well enough, I honestly think Cam is finished. Maybe I'm wrong but it just hasn't looked good for a long time. The shoulder issue seems to be ongoing and causes real accuracy problems, it seems. And he was never a great passer anyway but could make just enough throws, especially deep. Now, he couldn't even do that. Now it seems to be just one injury after another. Like I said earlier, a lot like Andrew Luck.