• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Should the Bears be interested in Cam Newton?

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,296.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What teams should be interested in a healthy Cam? Bears, Dolphins, Bengals, Tampa Bay, Tennessee, Minnesota, Denver, Chargers, Steelers, and I've missed some...but the real question is what do you think they should give up to get him.

I get it that he's a polarizing figure, but when he's healthy he's better than the options the teams above have...I added Chargers and Steelers only because I don't know how much longer Ben or Rivers play after this year...but still, what do you think it would take for the Panthers to trade him.

The Panthers may just cut him after the season with the ay Allen is playing.

Moab

Hoopla Cash
$ 260.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Quite possible no trade is necessary. Cam can be cut by the Panthers this offseason with minimal cap penalty.

Of course they could, but wouldn't it make sense for them to try to get something for him? If another team believes he could be their answer for the short term, wouldn't it make sense to get him and not allow him to enter the open market? It would makes sense to me.

Pure Steel

Hoopla Cash
$ 402.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I’ll be shocked if he’s not released....

Nelly

Respectin' hoes, nationwide
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would much prefer Bridgewater of those 3 you mentioned.

But that said, Cam is more than slightly better than Trubisky...assuming he's healthy enough to play, I would take Cam over Mitch no question.
I would as well, assuming he's healthy, which is a big assumption at this point. He's ended the last 2 years on IR, won't have played a game this year. What athletic ability he had is quickly dwindling with his age and injuries. Cam was never going to tear you apart from the pocket, so if he's not a danger running the ball, then why are you bothering? ...just like Trubisky.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cam's New Job

200.gif

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course they could, but wouldn't it make sense for them to try to get something for him? If another team believes he could be their answer for the short term, wouldn't it make sense to get him and not allow him to enter the open market? It would makes sense to me.

His 2020 cap hit is $21.1M - which is what you would inherit by trading for him. Would you want to lock that much of your cap into a definitively-damaged "maybe"?

Moab

Hoopla Cash
$ 260.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His 2020 cap hit is $21.1M - which is what you would inherit by trading for him. Would you want to lock that much of your cap into a definitively-damaged "maybe"?

You're saying he can't recover from his current injuries? I think he can and I also believe he's at worst a reliable QB and at best a very good one...IE better than Cousins when he's healthy...much better

Myles

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What teams should be interested in a healthy Cam? Bears, Dolphins, Bengals, Tampa Bay, Tennessee, Minnesota, Denver, Chargers, Steelers, and I've missed some...but the real question is what do you think they should give up to get him.
The bolded ones would not and should not be interested in Cam.

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I get it that he's a polarizing figure, but when he's healthy he's better than the options the teams above have...I added Chargers and Steelers only because I don't know how much longer Ben or Rivers play after this year...but still, what do you think it would take for the Panthers to trade him.

you can go ahead and scratch the Steelers off your little list there. not a chance in hell.

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're saying he can't recover from his current injuries? I think he can and I also believe he's at worst a reliable QB and at best a very good one...IE better than Cousins when he's healthy...much better
I'm not saying he can't recover, I'm saying banking >$20M that he will is a risk I wouldn't be willing to take if I was a GM. I'd want him to hit the free agent market and offer him maybe half of that on a heavily-incentive-laden deal.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would as well, assuming he's healthy, which is a big assumption at this point. He's ended the last 2 years on IR, won't have played a game this year. What athletic ability he had is quickly dwindling with his age and injuries. Cam was never going to tear you apart from the pocket, so if he's not a danger running the ball, then why are you bothering? ...just like Trubisky.

I prefaced it on health...and I agree that's a big assumption.

Why bother? He a better player. Cam's MVP season...he did pass for just under 4000 yds, 35 TDs/10 INTs.

As a stopgap player...while the DEF is still good (and reasonably young) I wouldn't want to waste too many more yrs trying to develop Trubisky.

There are other QBs I would prefer over Cam as mentioned but Cam or Mitch for 2020...again I would take a healthy Cam.

Cam's game...obviously the hits and age have started to catch up to him. He's 30 I think...I agree he's not going to turn into Dan Marino from the pocket all of a sudden, but if he's going to have many more years in the NFL as a starter, he's going to have to adapt his game to something more like RW.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ben was extended to 2021...maybe they look at a stop gap after that, but unless Ben steps away sooner given his own injury I don't see that happening.

TN...yes

CIN...doubtful, they should, but I see them going the draft route along with MIA

TB...maybe, Arians prefers passers over dual threat guys, but I can see that happening.

Assuming health, there is probably a 4 team market out there. Give up? Maybe a 2nd or 3rd at this point.

Moab

Hoopla Cash
$ 260.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ben was extended to 2021...maybe they look at a stop gap after that, but unless Ben steps away sooner given his own injury I don't see that happening.

TN...yes

CIN...doubtful, they should, but I see them going the draft route along with MIA

TB...maybe, Arians prefers passers over dual threat guys, but I can see that happening.

Assuming health, there is probably a 4 team market out there. Give up? Maybe a 2nd or 3rd at this point.

I'm thinking that's too much. Everyone here is talking about just releasing him and yes his 20mil is a big risk...so probably a 4th or so would get it done... at this point he's less of a dual threat... more of a run when the other team is playing man and you can get the 6 or 8 yards you need for a 1st down...he needs to change to that type of QB or it's a waste

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,296.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’ll be shocked if he’s not released....

I think he will be.....doubt anybody gives up anything for the contract he's got.....they could get him cheaper after he's released.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

But they wouldn't get any takers.

Everybody knows he's messed up, nobody would trade much of value for him, knowing they might have to pay 20MM for him to ride pine. They'd just wait for him to be released and then deal with him directly rather than give up anything of value.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not saying he can't recover, I'm saying banking >$20M that he will is a risk I wouldn't be willing to take if I was a GM. I'd want him to hit the free agent market and offer him maybe half of that on a heavily-incentive-laden deal.

I bin Ninja'd...

Exactly, nobody would a) give up something to b) get a guy that might not be able to play again and c) have to pay him 20MM. Just wait, take your chances when he's released, and then see who else is interested before you get into a bidding war with yourself.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm thinking that's too much. Everyone here is talking about just releasing him and yes his 20mil is a big risk...so probably a 4th or so would get it done... at this point he's less of a dual threat... more of a run when the other team is playing man and you can get the 6 or 8 yards you need for a 1st down...he needs to change to that type of QB or it's a waste

You could be right but it’s not likely you can trade for a starter at QB and only give up a 4th rounder.

IMO CAR would be foolish to just release him. If BAL could get something for Flacco which I didn’t think they would...if healthy they should be able to get something for Newton.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You could be right but it’s not likely you can trade for a starter at QB and only give up a 4th rounder.

IMO CAR would be foolish to just release him. If BAL could get something for Flacco which I didn’t think they would...if healthy they should be able to get something for Newton.
Your new Denver broncos starting web. Cam newton.