• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Should the Bears be interested in Cam Newton?

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed, but there's a long list of QBs that would be upgrades over Trubisky at this point. Some of the guys that COULD be available this winter:

Tom Brady
Dak Prescott
Philip Rivers
Teddy Bridgewater
Cam Newton
Jameis Winston
Marcus Mariota
Eli Manning
Case Keenum
Ryan Tannehill
Kyle Allen
Brandon Allen
I think you can take the top 3 off that list and Kyle Allen is on a cheap rookie deal. Even if the Panthers stick with Cam, they aren't letting Allen go anywhere after what he's shown this year, imo. Yeah, it's mostly CMC but they are 5-1 with Allen. Just imo, mind you.

MizzouFalcon

Let’s Fuck Some Shit Up is my legal middle name
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you can take the top 3 off that list and Kyle Allen is on a cheap rookie deal. Even if the Panthers stick with Cam, they aren't letting Allen go anywhere after what he's shown this year, imo. Yeah, it's mostly CMC but they are 5-1 with Allen. Just imo, mind you.
I tend to agree with this. It won’t be Brady, Prescott or Rivers.

You have to hang onto Kyle Allen if you keep Cam. He’s injury prone and KA has shown he can manage the offense well enough to be successful.

Eli has been done for 5 years now.

Winston and Mariota are not really upgrades.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yep, that's why I emphasized COULD. Some of those guys may have earned a roster spot with their unexpected experience this year.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed, but there's a long list of QBs that would be upgrades over Trubisky at this point. Some of the guys that COULD be available this winter:

Tom Brady
Dak Prescott
Philip Rivers
Teddy Bridgewater
Cam Newton
Jameis Winston
Marcus Mariota
Eli Manning
Case Keenum
Ryan Tannehill
Kyle Allen
Brandon Allen

You think there is any way Dak is available this winter? :crazy:

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Winston and Mariota are not really upgrades.

Winston and Mariota may not be great choices, but they are still upgrades over what Trubisky is doing this year unfortunately. If they keep their offensive coaching staff intact, they need a QB that can run that offense. Trubisky is NOT it. Unless they get Bridgewater or somewhat else at that level, they are likely looking for a bridge to their next drafted QB without keeping their offense at this current inept level. Winston may make mistakes, but he will get the ball down the field (look at the production of Evans and Godwin). Mariota is a direct opposite, being too careful, but will minimize the mistakes to help the defense.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He will be a free agent. I don't expect him to go anywhere, but stranger things have happened.
What? He will not be a free agent. At the very least he will be tagged before free agency opens.

JohnShadows

Bayesian
Hoopla Cash
$ 706.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dak isn't any better than Trubisky.

JohnShadows

Bayesian
Hoopla Cash
$ 706.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone seems to think "Kyle Allen is the future of the Panthers" is legit (especially the media). Fact is, he's been turning the ball over too much, his mistakes are being covered over by CMC's insane production. Panthers should just be patient, let Cam get healthy, and see if he can return to form.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Tom Brady - NE
Dak Prescott - DAL
Philip Rivers - LAC
Teddy Bridgewater - ?
Cam Newton - ?
Jameis Winston - ?
Marcus Mariota - ?
Eli Manning - RETIRE ?
Case Keenum - ?
Ryan Tannehill - ?
Kyle Allen - CAR
Brandon Allen - ?

No Dalton? under-contract for '20 but he's a sitting duck, benched mid season, no dead money.

QB needy teams.

MIA and CIN are probably going the draft route...that leaves TN, CHI, and DEN as the probable market for a vet QB looking for a starting job.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone seems to think "Kyle Allen is the future of the Panthers" is legit (especially the media). Fact is, he's been turning the ball over too much, his mistakes are being covered over by CMC's insane production. Panthers should just be patient, let Cam get healthy, and see if he can return to form.

That's a lot of money to spend next year to take a chance on a reversal of fortune now several years in decline. It has been largely due to injury, but if he plays how he prefers, another injury is right around the corner. They could save $17M+ by moving on. I'm not sure I would bank on Allen being the future, but Cam is a very tough option to continue with at this point.

The mobile QBs may be a trend again after Jackson's emergence this year, but career longevity for QBs will take a big hit. Brady and Brees aren't still playing because they could take a hit, they actually avoided the majority of those hits.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No Dalton? under-contract for '20 but he's a sitting duck, benched mid season, no dead money.

QB needy teams.

MIA and CIN are probably going the draft route...that leaves TN, CHI, and DEN as the probable market for a vet QB looking for a starting job.

Yeah, I didn't look at guys that could be dumped/traded (other than Cam).

Denver still has Drew Lock waiting to get healthy for his shot, so they may not be buyers (other than for a different vet bridge/backup).

JohnShadows

Bayesian
Hoopla Cash
$ 706.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a lot of money to spend next year to take a chance on a reversal of fortune now several years in decline. It has been largely due to injury, but if he plays how he prefers, another injury is right around the corner. They could save $17M+ by moving on. I'm not sure I would bank on Allen being the future, but Cam is a very tough option to continue with at this point.

The mobile QBs may be a trend again after Jackson's emergence this year, but career longevity for QBs will take a big hit. Brady and Brees aren't still playing because they could take a hit, they actually avoided the majority of those hits.
Cam gets hurt more in the pocket than when running. CAR hasn't been the same at LT since Jordan Gross retired (Oher was playing ok, then got concussed out of the league). But whatever, the shoulder injury is the most troubling -> he had to change his mechanics, looks to have lost significant arm strength even after the surgery. He may well be on the way out, physically.

I just think you give the former MVP who took you to a super bowl another shot. $17m ain't that much in today's QB market.

JohnShadows

Bayesian
Hoopla Cash
$ 706.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seriously you're kidding...right?

Think what you will of Dak, but Trubisky is on pace to pass for about 2500 yds/10 TDs/6 INTs...that's piss poor.
I *may* have been trolling the cowgirl fans a little. But I have a sneaking suspicion that if another team chose to pay DP $30, then extracted him from the DAL system, with the excellent OL and best RB in the NFL, and put him in CHI, they might be calling him Dak Osweiler halfway through the season.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Just me looking from afar, but CAR has one quality win imo. (HOU week 4). This back half of the season I think is going to reveal that Allen is decent backup, stop gap starter. CAR will be in position to target Bridgewater...I wonder if they will. IMO Cam is done as the player we came to know...just too many injuries, mentally I don't think he will be the same. The question is can he adjust his game to being a distributor and still be effective....Randall Cunningham changed his game.

Nelly

Respectin' hoes, nationwide
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Tom Brady
Dak Prescott
Philip Rivers
Teddy Bridgewater
Cam Newton
Jameis Winston
Marcus Mariota
Eli Manning
Case Keenum
Ryan Tannehill
Kyle Allen
Brandon Allen
I'd take any one of them over Trubisky right now, not that Nagy, the O line and our putrid tight ends aren't problems as well.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I *may* have been trolling the cowgirl fans a little. But I have a sneaking suspicion that if another team chose to pay DP $30, then extracted him from the DAL system, with the excellent OL and best RB in the NFL, and put him in CHI, they might be calling him Dak Osweiler halfway through the season.

LOL...I've seen more growth from Dak this yr as a QB. No Jackson, but mobile enough without being a "runner". But a lot of his progress I've always felt was stunted because of how DAL called games. Sure, it makes sense to give the ball to #21...he's making a ton of money and a very good player, but too often it led to 3rd and obvious.

Trubisky/CHI...the bears have scored less than 20 points in 5 of the 8 games and less than 200 yds passing in 4 of those games.

This is your top 5 1st round pick here...think about that for a second.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am a Dak skeptic, I think he is average, but he looks like Joe Montana compared to Trubisky.