• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Should the 2020 season be cancelled?

IronJaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would say that the best team in baseball rarely wins. The playoffs are basically who gets hot at the right time. 5 and 7 gm series are a crapshoot
i agree. Just about any team in the leagues can win a short series if they get hot. A 5 or 7 game playoff is not a 162-game marathon. The team that wins the 162-game marathon has to utilize every player on the team along with players called up from the system. I never liked divisions in baseball. I still remember the first season with divisions in each league that began in 1969. Luckily that year the teams with the best record went to the World Series, and the same thing happened in 1970 and 1971. 1972 featured the first non-best record in the WS (Cincinnati - but one never knows how the real finish would have been due to the fact that 8-9 games were lost to the first MLB baseball strike). In 1973, the Mets won only 82 games but were able to beat the Reds in the playoffs who won 99 games. That same season, the Orioles had the most wins in the AL but lost to the A's in the playoffs. Probably due to the first three seasons, people got used to the new playoff system. Then, later on, they added playoff teams with a third division in each league in 1994, making the chance for an overall weaker team to win. Speaking of 1994, the strike/lockout season that was a disgrace to the game, one team, the Texas Rangers, were leading the AL West division with a dismal record of 52-62. No team with a sub .500 record should even be considered for a playoff. Now whether they would have rallied in the remaining 48 games, no one knows for certain.

I also don't like to see interleague play that counts in each league standing. Play exhibitions with the local rivals, but don't count them in the individual league standings. I love the game of baseball...but I don't like to see such changes. My dad always said the last real season was 1968, when the top winning teams from each league went right to the World Series.

IronJaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For this "60" game season, they should just go to two straight leagues and let the teams that win the most games go straight to the series. I could get behind that.