• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Should the 2020 season be cancelled?

DefCONNOne

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been mostly on the owners side which is not the norm for me...that was a mistake.

While I still don't think players should have any say in how many games are played less than 162+ playoffs, the owners continue to BS around with the prorated salaries so you can't really blame players much at this point. Okay owners...you're going to lose some money this season...millions of business owners are going to lose money this year....what the hell did you do with all the profits from the last decade or so?

The diehard baseball fans will come back and the owners realize that, but I've never seen a sport care less about the paying fans than MLB.

No it wasn't. But you seem to be easily swayed by public opinion, which is pro-player. Facts be damned.

DefCONNOne

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Stakesarehigh One final offering as to your contention that all wins are equal. Could you with a straight face compare the cache of a championship produced after a 60 game gimmick season with the Cubs winning after more than a century....the Red Sox breaking the curse by going through the Yankees after trailing 3-0 in the alcs.....and the Nationals beating down the Houston A-holes by winning every game in their park? Really?

Looks like the new guy is unfamiliar with the quote feature here. I knew a guy at CSNbbs who also had trouble with the quote feature. I wonder....:think:

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Stakesarehigh One final offering as to your contention that all wins are equal. Could you with a straight face compare the cache of a championship produced after a 60 game gimmick season with the Cubs winning after more than a century....the Red Sox breaking the curse by going through the Yankees after trailing 3-0 in the alcs.....and the Nationals beating down the Houston A-holes by winning every game in their park? Really?
It will be kind of weird if they do a 50 game season and one of these teams with the long streak of no World Series wins it. But I'm sure if you're fans of the Indians,Rangers,Mariners, you'll take it.

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It will be kind of weird if they do a 50 game season and one of these teams with the long streak of no World Series wins it. But I'm sure if you're fans of the Indians,Rangers,Mariners, you'll take it.
seattle has never been so they are due:suds:

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would say that the best team in baseball rarely wins. The playoffs are basically who gets hot at the right time. 5 and 7 gm series are a crapshoot

Yeah...that might be more accurate if we're saying the highest payroll means best talent.

But my point being...in MLB you rarely see that wildcard team or the FL Marlin type payroll win the WS...it happens, but typically the team that wins has at least 3 strong starters, decent bullpen and a closer....then as you mentioned got hot or timely hitting.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No it wasn't. But you seem to be easily swayed by public opinion, which is pro-player. Facts be damned.

Maybe I've certainly swayed back and forth on this...my underlying thought here is the players shouldn't be dictating the number of games and the owners should hold to full prorated salaries. The rest (facts you may want to call them) are just fluff to me.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
seattle has never been so they are due:suds:
Yeah they are due. But I was just wondering if a team like that finally broke their streak in a 60 game season if it would somehow take something away from it. Like if the Red Sox or Cubs had broken their long streak of not winning in a 60 game season if it would have been as big a deal.

But whoever wins (if there is a season), if another strain of coronavirus is around this fall it is hard to imagine that there will be hundreds of thousands of people all standing in one place to watch a parade.

SU Nittany Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,096.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@ATL96Steeler Never thought i would ever say this....but...yes...i think it would be better than a "gimmick"WORLD SERIES champion who ends up with the title because some contenders who would ultimately win it by earning it.....fail to qualify by the happenstance of their "slow start" out of the gate.
That is why the 162 games season is so great as it gives a team a chance to overcome a slump to even force a 163'rd game......not so in a "gimmick" season of just 60 games. I was on board with 75 or 89 games.....not with 60.
If you can't make the top 16 then you don't deserve it.

BIGBLUE 49

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@podsox In keeping with my fear that only by the happenstance of bonafide contender teams coming out the 60 game gate slow...and lesser teams happening to come out "hot" ....we could end up with a world series match-up of say.....the Pittsburgh Pirates vs. Baltimore Orioles....would that be a "juicy" match-up for you......rather than say....Yankees VS. Dodgers?

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@podsox In keeping with my fear that only by the happenstance of bonafide contender teams coming out the 60 game gate slow...and lesser teams happening to come out "hot" ....we could end up with a world series match-up of say.....the Pittsburgh Pirates vs. Baltimore Orioles....would that be a "juicy" match-up for you......rather than say....Yankees VS. Dodgers?
. I’ll watch. I watch the wbc and the college World Series every yr. besides the nba, how often does the best team win in any sport? Put an asterisk on it, I don’t really care. It’s sports. It will be fun. People take the history way too seriously.

BIGBLUE 49

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@podsox Yes...you are right...some will watch a PITTSBURGH -BALTIMORE series brought about via my scenario as to how they would end up together at the end......and that some(sum)of people who would watch....would set the new modern era record for a lowest rated series .

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@podsox Yes...you are right...some will watch a PITTSBURGH -BALTIMORE series brought about via my scenario as to how they would end up together at the end......and that some(sum)of people who would watch....would set the new modern era record for a lowest rated series .
And baseball fans should care what the tv ratings are? White Sox had one of the lowest ever when they won it in 05. I didn’t effect Sox fan at all

BIGBLUE 49

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@podsox It's not that fans CARE what the tv ratings are....they MAKE them what they are....and the networks shelling out the money for the tv contracts care a lot.

Myles

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@podsox we could end up with a world series match-up of say.....the Pittsburgh Pirates vs. Baltimore Orioles....would that be a "juicy" match-up for you......rather than say....Yankees VS. Dodgers?

I would prefer that over a Yankees vs Dodgers matchup.

To the thread question:
I think all sports should cancel their seasons. Money is the only driving force.

Pure Steel

Hoopla Cash
$ 402.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could care less if there is a season at this point......Feel bad for the minor league players, that’s about it.....

nynasty

nynasty
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,181.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could care less if there is a season at this point......Feel bad for the minor league players, that’s about it.....

Eh. The way I'm looking at it is every season has been exactly the same (save '81 and '94-'95), so this would be unique.

Fuck, I just want baseball, and I don't care how or when.

But this bullshit about starting a designated runner on 2nd in extras needs to go.

That's actually NOT baseball.

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@podsox It's not that fans CARE what the tv ratings are....they MAKE them what they are....and the networks shelling out the money for the tv contracts care a lot.
So what is your argument? The networks don’t want a season because bad teams have A better chance of advancing. Once again, who gives a fuck?

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eh. The way I'm looking at it is every season has been exactly the same (save '81 and '94-'95), so this would be unique.

Fuck, I just want baseball, and I don't care how or when.

But this bullshit about starting a designated runner on 2nd in extras needs to go.

That's actually NOT baseball.
So does a reliever being required to finish an inning if he starts it. That solution is worse than the problem.

RubinRock

Has a Well-Known Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So does a reliever being required to finish an inning if he starts it. That solution is worse than the problem.
He doesn't have to finish the inning. Just three batters