• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Should teams be penalized for losing their conference title games??

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And it probably helped that the game was at the end of the year as opposed to early October in the case of the RRSO. Which I also think is dumb about when the loss occurs.

I think conferences should get rid of divisions. For the same reasons I'm not a fan of putting in conference champions no matter what, I dislike conference division champs for conference championship.

For the Big12 that year, if they took the 2 best teams to the conference championship, it would have been a rematch of Texas and Oklahoma, rather than Texas having to watch from the sideline as an undeserving Missouri played instead. And for the SEC in 2011, it would have been Alabama vs LSU in a rematch.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, so while on the topic of 2008.

In the Big12 you had 3 teams in 1 division that all had 1 loss to each other. On the other side of the conference you had Missouri(who Texas beat in the season). Missouri had 3 losses in the regular season, but went to the conference championship game.

Are you to tell me that if Missouri had beaten Oklahoma in that championship game, been crowned conference champions they should have went to the national championship game or playoffs in the current case, over the other teams?

Because if you ask me, had Missouri beaten Oklahoma in your conference championship that green lights Texas, who wouldn't have played in the conference championship game, much less been conference champion for the spot in the playoffs/national championship.

And yes I would still have picked Texas over Texas Tech as well, even though Texas Tech had beaten Texas, because IMO Texas was the better team.

It happens. It also is very rare. Is that any worse than taking the "best team" when Colorado or KSU blows them out? We can always pt to outliers on either side that seems to argue for our desired conclusion. I would rather reward teams that took advantage of their opportunities, than to give the benefit of the doubt to teams that could not fulfill their original goal. I am actually agnostic on the approach, as I think both sides have a legitimate pt. Again that is why I believe a larger format is preferred.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think conferences should get rid of divisions. For the same reasons I'm not a fan of putting in conference champions no matter what, I dislike conference division champs for conference championship.

For the Big12 that year, if they took the 2 best teams to the conference championship, it would have been a rematch of Texas and Oklahoma, rather than Texas having to watch from the sideline as an undeserving Missouri played instead. And for the SEC in 2011, it would have been Alabama vs LSU in a rematch.

Totally agree, take out divisions period and let the two best teams in conference play for it all, even if it means a rematch in conference. Too many times the weak as fuck Big 12 North champ had no business playing for the conference b/c that division was just terrible for so many years.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they should be penalized but I'm not sure they should be downgraded a position below a team who doesn't play one.

occupant

Resident Inhabitant and nerve striker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,345.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes.

Every team should be punished for a loss.

It's kinda how this whole thing is setup. No participation trophies. Fuck you.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It depends IMO.

If a teams gets blown out in the conference championship, then they should be penalized.
But if it's a deal like a couple of years ago where UGA falls 5 yards short of beating Bama, but finished the regular season with the same record as Florida, and beat Florida head to head, but Florida got to go to the Sugar bowl, then no.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At the end of the day one of the BIGGEST problems with CFB is that when you lose matters at all. It shouldnt. In 2008 if Florida had played Ole Miss last game of the regular season and lost and then beat Bama in the title game we would have probably had a OU-UT rematch. Every single other ounce of data would have been the same except for timing of the loss. Losing to FSU in the last game is NOT any different than losing to them in the 4th game. It just isnt. Also another reason that polls of any kind are ridiculous until at LEAST week 8 or 9.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or in 2011 imagine 3-0 OK State going to Ames and losing a double OT game to ISU. Then the Cowboys proceed to get 5 top 18 wins the next 8 weeks culminating in a 28 point blowout win over 4th ranked Oklahoma. Does anyone really think Bama would still have gone to the title game in that scenario?? Hell no. CFB is the purest of sports because every game is so monsterous but they need to find a way where when you lose isnt as relevant as it is.