• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Seahawks could/should be Super Bowl contenders for real when?

When will the Seahawks be Superbowl contenders for real again?

• Total voters

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m skeptical Geno is that leader, although he did show some good stuff last year so if he can improve even more, and our D improves dramatically through the draft, maybe we can make a run next year …
It's possible. The NFC is wide open this year with Philly leading as the top team going into the season.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm normally the skeptic/cynical one here, but I actually think this has been the best free agency the Seahawks have had in years and we have a ton of draft capital.

The Seahawks have already improved at the following positions:
ILB x2: I find Devin Bush to be an upgrade over Barton, and Wagner to be an upgrade over Brooks. Once Brooks is healthy he'll slide into Bush's spot.
DE x2: You can argue that Reed over Harris is a wash, or a net loss, but I'll be optimistic for once.
C: Evan Brown I believe is an upgrade over Blythe.
S: It'll be interesting to see how the Seahawks use their safeties and what happens with Jamal Adams. But now they have two true safeties in Julian Love + Quandre Diggs. I think this gives them more flexibility in what they can run defensively allowing Adams to stay exclusively in the box with minimal coverage responsibilities.

That's 6 positional upgrades with 5 selections in the first 90 picks which could net them an additional 4-5 players who would be likely upgrades over what is currently on the roster.

Even if they shit the bed in the draft, I believe this team is already substantially better than last year.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As to the topic of the thread... That's tough. On paper I think we're at least two wins better. Is that enough for us to surpass the 49ers in the NFC West? Tbh, I don't think so, which means getting that first week Bye will be a lot more difficult.

I'll pick 2024 as by then our 2023 draft class will have a year under their belts, and the 2022 draft class should be hitting it's prime.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm normally the skeptic/cynical one here, but I actually think this has been the best free agency the Seahawks have had in years and we have a ton of draft capital.

The Seahawks have already improved at the following positions:
ILB x2: I find Devin Bush to be an upgrade over Barton, and Wagner to be an upgrade over Brooks. Once Brooks is healthy he'll slide into Bush's spot.
DE x2: You can argue that Reed over Harris is a wash, or a net loss, but I'll be optimistic for once.
C: Evan Brown I believe is an upgrade over Blythe.
S: It'll be interesting to see how the Seahawks use their safeties and what happens with Jamal Adams. But now they have two true safeties in Julian Love + Quandre Diggs. I think this gives them more flexibility in what they can run defensively allowing Adams to stay exclusively in the box with minimal coverage responsibilities.

That's 6 positional upgrades with 5 selections in the first 90 picks which could net them an additional 4-5 players who would be likely upgrades over what is currently on the roster.

Even if they shit the bed in the draft, I believe this team is already substantially better than last year.

Let's be clear about one thing. Anything was an upgrade over Blythe.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hawks offense was good enough to win the superbowl ... Hell there are 20+ teams in the NFL who could win a superbowl ... If they had a freaking DEFENSE!

We have all seen some middle of the pack offense win superbowls before with mediocre QB's but they need a defense and the Hawks defense was bottom 5 in the NFL they were BAD BAD BAD. They have to be top 5 to win because Geno wont carry them and asking him to do so will just lead to turnovers.

Just like in 2013 the Hawks need a defense to win a superbowl and if they can build one they could win it with Drew Lock as the QB.

Wolverine830872

2018 DCFFL Champion!
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't remember the last time I was this excited for the seahawks. If we hit in this draft as well as we did last year, then this could be a very tough team to beat.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m skeptical Geno is that leader, although he did show some good stuff last year so if he can improve even more, and our D improves dramatically through the draft, maybe we can make a run next year …

I think Geno is a pretty good leader. But he has limited skills as a QB. We need a great overall team to compete for a Super Bowl.

I think all the moves they have made this offseason have been really good. If they can follow up with another strong draft and we might have a chance.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's be clear about one thing. Anything was an upgrade over Blythe.
I'm just hoping they keep Evan Brown at center and don't try to slide him to guard. He is a better center than guard, which is what he primarily played in 2022. The versatility is definitely nice though.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm just hoping they keep Evan Brown at center and don't try to slide him to guard. He is a better center than guard, which is what he primarily played in 2022. The versatility is definitely nice though.

Correct, although he played well at guard. I would very much like to see Seattle draft Avila or Wypler in the 3rd in addition to Brown. Avila very much fits Brown's mold but both have flexibility across the line which is great for the injury prone Lewis and if Haynes busts. Course to your point Brown can start at Center but I wouldn't mind Wypler as a contingency factor - and focus on front 7 D and a 3rd WR with an earlier pick. RB is a weak class outside of Robinson, I can't imagine any are major takes outside of the late 3rd/4th.

I have been drafting Avila in basically every mock draft I've done in the last 6+ months. Rest of the picks we can spend on WR/DL/LBer/NT in any order.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah Philly is the top team right now in the NFC until dethroned …
I actually think this year the 49ers could be the team to beat in the NFC. They went 13-4 in the regular season after starting with Trey Lance as their QB, then back to Jimmy G, then to Brock Purdy. Not to mention the fact that they'll get a full season with Christian McCaffrey.

You can point to Brock Purdy being a mere game manager, but when you have the weapons the 49ers have on offense all you need to do is not make mistakes and get your guys the ball.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Correct, although he played well at guard. I would very much like to see Seattle draft Avila or Wypler in the 3rd in addition to Brown. Avila very much fits Brown's mold but both have flexibility across the line which is great for the injury prone Lewis and if Haynes busts. Course to your point Brown can start at Center but I wouldn't mind Wypler as a contingency factor - and focus on front 7 D and a 3rd WR with an earlier pick. RB is a weak class outside of Robinson, I can't imagine any are major takes outside of the late 3rd/4th.

I have been drafting Avila in basically every mock draft I've done in the last 6+ months. Rest of the picks we can spend on WR/DL/LBer/NT in any order.
One guy I could see the Seahawks looking at in the late first round could be O'Cyrus Torrence. Hawks have always liked those big guards and he certainly fits the mold. Absolute mauler. I've seen a number of mocks having us select Jaxon Smith-Njigba which I'd also be happy with even though WR isn't exactly a first round need for us at this point. He could eventually step up for Lockett as father time takes it's inevitable toll, although I do think Lockett will age well as he avoids hits to the extent of getting on my nerves.

I actually think that the HB class isn't too shallow. I think there are some guys in the later rounds who could be interesting. A guy I think the Seahawks could like - who could be a bit undervalued - is Roschon Johnson. I watch all of the Texas games and think if Roschon had an opportunity to get the snaps that Bijan did, he'd be in second round consideration.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One guy I could see the Seahawks looking at in the late first round could be O'Cyrus Torrence. Hawks have always liked those big guards and he certainly fits the mold. Absolute mauler. I've seen a number of mocks having us select Jaxon Smith-Njigba which I'd also be happy with even though WR isn't exactly a first round need for us at this point. He could eventually step up for Lockett as father time takes it's inevitable toll, although I do think Lockett will age well as he avoids hits to the extent of getting on my nerves.

I actually think that the HB class isn't too shallow. I think there are some guys in the later rounds who could be interesting. A guy I think the Seahawks could like - who could be a bit undervalued - is Roschon Johnson. I watch all of the Texas games and think if Roschon had an opportunity to get the snaps that Bijan did, he'd be in second round consideration.

Rather just have Avila. He can play center or guard... and he's almost the same size, and no reason to blow a 1st. Brown can also play both. It gives us versatility along the line in the event of an injury. And frankly I'm perfectly fine with Forsythe and Curhan as backups for OT. That position (in backups) is solved for. Interior OL is not.

I dunno 234... more and more I think about this draft - if Anderson is gone, should we just trade down? Carter as NOSE TACKLE (which some are going for because his fatass pro day)? Fuckin' kidding me? There's a lot of great front 7 D, interior OL (our weakness - actually smart Pete/John drafted OTs like they did last year because there's nothing in this draft), some WRs... all positions of need.

If Anderson is gone (which I'll argue is a guy you take especially a #5 overall risk on) I would be absolutely happy to trade down and acquire another 2nd... I actually think it needs to be IMMEDIATELY return this year. Because frankly I think every single guy we draft in the first 3 rounds is going to be getting snaps on the field let alone starting.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rather just have Avila. He can play center or guard... and he's almost the same size, and no reason to blow a 1st. Brown can also play both. It gives us versatility along the line in the event of an injury. And frankly I'm perfectly fine with Forsythe and Curhan as backups for OT. That position (in backups) is solved for. Interior OL is not.

I dunno 234... more and more I think about this draft - if Anderson is gone, should we just trade down? Carter as NOSE TACKLE (which some are going for because his fatass pro day)? Fuckin' kidding me? There's a lot of great front 7 D, interior OL (our weakness - actually smart Pete/John drafted OTs like they did last year because there's nothing in this draft), some WRs... all positions of need.

If Anderson is gone (which I'll argue is a guy you take especially a #5 overall risk on) I would be absolutely happy to trade down and acquire another 2nd... I actually think it needs to be IMMEDIATELY return this year. Because frankly I think every single guy we draft in the first 3 rounds is going to be getting snaps on the field let alone starting.
In Jalen Carter I trust.

I don't want to completely dismiss his pro day as irrelevant, but his tape is just so damn good. Based on tape alone he's the best player in this draft. I've been a draft nerd for years and the only interior defensive lineman I can remember who I thought was as good a prospect as Carter is Ndamukong Suh or maybe Gerald McCoy.

This will be a hot take, but I'd say my top-5 players in the draft would be:
1. Jalen Carter
2. Will Anderson Jr.
3. Bryce Young: I don't see his size as an issue as he's too damn good. Kyler Murray and Russell Wilson's height limitations showed up in not attacking the middle of the field, Bryce Young doesn't have that issue.
4. Bijan Robinson: We're past the days of drafting a HB in the top-10, but I believe that Bijan has the talent to be an All-Pro his rookie year. He's phenomenal at everything other than pass protection.
5. Tyree Wilson: I went back and forth between him and C.J. Stroud, but I had to defer to Wilson. Stroud would be my #6.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In Jalen Carter I trust.

I don't want to completely dismiss his pro day as irrelevant, but his tape is just so damn good. Based on tape alone he's the best player in this draft. I've been a draft nerd for years and the only interior defensive lineman I can remember who I thought was as good a prospect as Carter is Ndamukong Suh or maybe Gerald McCoy.

This will be a hot take, but I'd say my top-5 players in the draft would be:
1. Jalen Carter
2. Will Anderson Jr.
3. Bryce Young: I don't see his size as an issue as he's too damn good. Kyler Murray and Russell Wilson's height limitations showed up in not attacking the middle of the field, Bryce Young doesn't have that issue.
4. Bijan Robinson: We're past the days of drafting a HB in the top-10, but I believe that Bijan has the talent to be an All-Pro his rookie year. He's phenomenal at everything other than pass protection.
5. Tyree Wilson: I went back and forth between him and C.J. Stroud, but I had to defer to Wilson. Stroud would be my #6.

Suh and Donald were pass rush monsters though. Both were 7+ sacks higher than Carter for MULTIPLE seasons (well Donald at least every season basically - anyway). Their threat on the DL was far and away a bigger concern than Carter - especially in a passing league. Carter had 3 sacks each of his last two seasons. That's what we want with #5 overall? Meh.. I'd rather trade down, accumulate, and hedge our bets on a VERY deep DL/EDGE class instead.

And then given his work ethic and off field concerns... I dunno man, I have zero faith in that guy. Happy to eat crow (as I always say) if wrong. This is a DEEP DL draft class and it was originally supposed to be a DEEP QB draft class. The QB has tapered off a bit (although still a lot of hype) but outside of Anderson that is worth of staying at #5 overall, I have little faith Carter fits the bill.

"Oh well he gained weight because he was nervous and upset about his teammates/coach" WELL WHAT THE FUCK WERE YOU DOING OUT THERE IN THE FIRST PLACE YOU FUCKIN' MORON!?" Seriously? It's got Malik McDowell all over it.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've heard it said in the media ( many times) that Carter was the best player on the team. I often wonder what they base that on, apparently not stats. Here are the defensive stats for the Bulldogs:

1680050537735.png

He's 10th in tackles on the team and 4 players doubled him on tackles or nearly did. Sacks? 4 players had more sacks than he did on the team.

Last edited:

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've heard it said in the media ( many times) that Carter was the best player on the team. I often wonder what they base that on, apparently not stats. Here are the defensive stats for the Bulldogs:

View attachment 324485

He's 10th in tackles on the team and 4 players doubled him on tackles or nearly did. Sacks? 4 players had more sacks than he did on the team.
These are the kind of stats you don't see that makes him impactful... See below his games in the college playoffs last season..

Jalen Carter vs. Ohio State

• 36 pass-rushing snaps
  • 5 hurries, 1 hit, 5 pressures
  • 13.9% pressure rate, 0.019 Points Earned per rush, -0.020 Points Above Average per rush
  • 15 run snaps
  • 1 tackle, 3 yards average tackle depth

Jalen Carter vs. TCU

• 20 pass-rushing snaps
  • 2 hurries, 2 hits, 3 pressures
  • 15% pressure rate, 0.075 Points Earned per rush, 0.023 Points Above Average per rush
  • 11 run snaps
  • 2 tackles, 3.5 yards average tackle depth

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These are the kind of stats you don't see that makes him impactful... See below his games in the college playoffs last season..

Jalen Carter vs. Ohio State

• 36 pass-rushing snaps
  • 5 hurries, 1 hit, 5 pressures
  • 13.9% pressure rate, 0.019 Points Earned per rush, -0.020 Points Above Average per rush
  • 15 run snaps
  • 1 tackle, 3 yards average tackle depth

Jalen Carter vs. TCU

• 20 pass-rushing snaps
  • 2 hurries, 2 hits, 3 pressures
  • 15% pressure rate, 0.075 Points Earned per rush, 0.023 Points Above Average per rush
  • 11 run snaps
  • 2 tackles, 3.5 yards average tackle depth
So where did you find these stats and how do they compare to other DL? Isn't 5 hurries and 5 pressures the same thing?

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After the draft we will see what the landscape will look like. Luckily the NFC is not very deep it seems that all the more elite teams are in the AFC and of course there is the 49ers and having to deal with them. Luckily their QB situation isnt completely figured out.