• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Should teams be penalized for losing their conference title games??

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Say #2 Alabam sits at 11-1 and goes to the SEC title game to play #4 11-1 South Carolina. Clearly the winner is going to the playoff but lets say at the same time # 5 Wisconsin sits at 11-1 but doesnt make the B10 title game. In your opinion should the LOSER of the Bama/USCe game be penalized for actually making their league title game?? This is going to come up a lot now with the 4 team playoff. Whats the boards opinion??

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO CCGs are the prelude to the playoffs. In effect the 4 CCGs create a 8 team playoff. Lose there and you shouldn't be eligible for the playoffs.

TigerBait1971

Roll Tide? What? FUCK YOU! lolz
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some teams get to go to the NCG without even playing in their CCG.

:tsk:

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Say #2 Alabam sits at 11-1 and goes to the SEC title game to play #4 11-1 South Carolina. Clearly the winner is going to the playoff but lets say at the same time # 5 Wisconsin sits at 11-1 but doesnt make the B10 title game. In your opinion should the LOSER of the Bama/USCe game be penalized for actually making their league title game?? This is going to come up a lot now with the 4 team playoff. Whats the boards opinion??

Of course they should.
It's the last game of the year before the playoff.
If you don't win in the CCG, you aren't the best.
Like Charlie said, it's really part of the playoff.

If the loser was allowed to move into the playoffs, you would just get a rematch which nobody wants to see..

cwalke3408

Hoopla Cash
$ 8.57
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't believe in, you must win your conf. to be in the playoffs. I think playoffs should be about finding the best team and not about being fair. So I would put Wisconsin in and the loser of the SEC championship out because the regular season is like a playoff it self and we would know who the better team from the championship game.

GoBlueNavyNuke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't believe in, you must win your conf. to be in the playoffs. I think playoffs should be about finding the best team and not about being fair. So I would put Wisconsin in and the loser of the SEC championship out because the regular season is like a playoff it self and we would know who the better team from the championship game.

However, can you be considered one of the best teams if you cannot win your conference?

cwalke3408

Hoopla Cash
$ 8.57
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
However, can you be considered one of the best teams if you cannot win your conference?

Yes, teams can improve through out the season. So, if they lose a close game early in the season that keeps them from getting the the title game or winning their conf. but improves more than the team that beat them or get back key players that wasn't there earlier that season.

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In your opinion should the LOSER of the Bama/USCe game be penalized for actually making their league title game??
No. I think the loser of the title game should be penalized for losing the title game.

GoBlueNavyNuke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, teams can improve through out the season. So, if they lose a close game early in the season that keeps them from getting the the title game or winning their conf. but improves more than the team that beat them or get back key players that wasn't there earlier that season.

True, but remember, the conference title game is the last game of the season. Hard to improve for the next game, when there is no next game.

As for a lose that keeps one out of the title game, odds are that was to the team in that division who made it to the title game. Sorry, I don't buy the argument that a team is better than the team they lost to. Even if there were injured players that didn't play, because part of being one of the best teams is having depth. Besides, ever other team is also improving.

bigred472

theoldestidiotonthisboard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
-------
And yet if you win your conference are you not the best from your conference? So I wouldn't put in Wisky OR Ala.

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes they should, unless it is their first loss and it is a close game.

If you get blown out in the conference championship and it is your first loss, you are not in the playoff. If it is your second or more loss, you are not in the playoff.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes they should, unless it is their first loss and it is a close game.

If you get blown out in the conference championship and it is your first loss, you are not in the playoff. If it is your second or more loss, you are not in the playoff.

So in your opinion a 12-0 Ohio State that loses to a 11-1 Wisconsin in their league title game by a score of 35-31 should still go to the playoff ahead of an 11-1 Stanford that doesnt make their league title game?? Assuming SOS and the such are comparable?? Id tend to agree but I have a feeling it wouldnt work out that way. Its going to be interesting.

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've said for years that a title game for an AQ conference can only hurt the conference's chances of placing a team in the title game.

If a conference wants to complain about how their money-grab known as a title game hurts their conference in terms of the national champion hunt, then maybe they shouldn't have CHOSEN to go the route that created the title game. Choices have consequences - some are good, and some not so good.

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So in your opinion a 12-0 Ohio State that loses to a 11-1 Wisconsin in their league title game by a score of 35-31 should still go to the playoff ahead of an 11-1 Stanford that doesnt make their league title game?? Assuming SOS and the such are comparable?? Id tend to agree but I have a feeling it wouldnt work out that way. Its going to be interesting.

I am saying they should be considered, depending on what the records are of all the other teams.

Too many unknowns in your scenario. You are having a one team example, when there could be ten teams involved in the discussion.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you lose in your conference title game, then too bad so sad, you're out of the playoffs. You know why? B/C YOU FUCKING LOST! Yes, I know today where everybody is a winner, it's kind of unheard of that losing a game will hurt you. There is no such thing as a quality loss, or a good loss. You lost, end of story....

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some teams get to go to the NCG without even playing in their CCG.

:tsk:

Do_the_Ed_dance.gif

rolltide14_0

~V--I--P~
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,833.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you lose in your conference title game, then too bad so sad, you're out of the playoffs. You know why? B/C YOU FUCKING LOST! Yes, I know today where everybody is a winner, it's kind of unheard of that losing a game will hurt you. There is no such thing as a quality loss, or a good loss. You lost, end of story....

So you'd rather a team go that didn't have to play in their conference title game? Because in the OP's scenario, you'd be telling the SECCG loser that because they made their conference title game and lost, that they will now have to watch someone else that didn't even get to play in their conference title game go to the playoffs. Reminds me of 2012 with UGA and UF, I still think UGA deserved that Sugar Bowl spot.

I don't think it'll be a problem though, because this isn't the BCS anymore, they're not going off the top 4 teams in the rankings. With this playoff system in place, hopefully the committee can look at the overall body of work, instead of who lost last.

The Crimson King

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you'd rather a team go that didn't have to play in their conference title game? Because in the OP's scenario, you'd be telling the SECCG loser that because they made their conference title game and lost, that they will now have to watch someone else that didn't even get to play in their conference title game go to the playoffs. Reminds me of 2012 with UGA and UF, I still think UGA deserved that Sugar Bowl spot.

I don't think it'll be a problem though, because this isn't the BCS anymore, they're not going off the top 4 teams in the rankings. With this playoff system in place, hopefully the committee can look at the overall body of work, instead of who lost last.

are you not in favor of that?