• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Should Philadelpha Trade The Lakers Protected Pick

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems like to me that if you're Philly, the smart thing to would be to call up Mitch(if it's legal at this time of the year) and offer to trade back that protected pick to the Lakers for either a current player(except for Randle, Clarkson or Russell) and then have something guaranteed. Or they could trade the pick for a pick next year - they already have a ton of new players and it would be a win for both teams - unless both teams are stuck due to the rules or are greedy enough to wait to see what happens. If this would not be allowed, then this is a dead topic

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's a chance Philly gets it this year if LA slips a couple spots and if not it becomes unprotected the following year. Wouldn't make much sense for Philly to deal it.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I'd keep the pick if I got it if I was Philly.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems like to me that if you're Philly, the smart thing to would be to call up Mitch(if it's legal at this time of the year) and offer to trade back that protected pick to the Lakers for either a current player(except for Randle, Clarkson or Russell) and then have something guaranteed. Or they could trade the pick for a pick next year - they already have a ton of new players and it would be a win for both teams - unless both teams are stuck due to the rules or are greedy enough to wait to see what happens. If this would not be allowed, then this is a dead topic

That would make a lot of sense for the Lakers.

The Lakers are not likely to improve enough to get out of he top 6-8 picks next year. The only assets they have that would interest the 6ers are the 3 players you mentioned. No way the 6ers deal a pick with that type of expected value for a scrub from a 17 win team.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's a chance Philly gets it this year if LA slips a couple spots and if not it becomes unprotected the following year. Wouldn't make much sense for Philly to deal it.

Oh, Okay, then it makes more sense for Philly to keep it. I didn't know they get it next year if the Lakers get to keep it.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trade it for who what?

For a star, already on a long-term contract, that can't bolt in a year or two?

* by star I don't mean a player like Gordon Hayward*

Maybe.

Otherwise, no.....

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
when is the lotto?

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lakers keep the pick- trade it for Jimmy Butler....sign Durant...presto!!!

maybe then Lakers fans would be a little more happy and not such negative nancies all the time...

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hell no. That's a valuable pick for them. If they get it this year, that likely means they'll have two Top 5 picks (LA's and their own) so they could end up with Simmons or Ingram and get someone like Jamal Murray at #4 or 5, which would be a very nice haul. Even better is if they don't get this year, it'll still likely be a lottery pick next season in what should be a much stronger draft.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hell no. That's a valuable pick for them. If they get it this year, that likely means they'll have two Top 5 picks (LA's and their own) so they could end up with Simmons or Ingram and get someone like Jamal Murray at #4 or 5, which would be a very nice haul. Even better is if they don't get this year, it'll still likely be a lottery pick next season in what should be a much stronger draft.
hmmmmm....it might be a lotto pick next year but it wont be anywhere near the top 5 in my estimation.....it would be much more valuable to the Sixers this year---- but the odds favor the Lakers to keep it.

I think ideally the Lakers keep it and trade it for a vet to attract another vet--- but ya never know....itll be interesting.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hmmmmm....it might be a lotto pick next year but it wont be anywhere near the top 5 in my estimation.....it would be much more valuable to the Sixers this year---- but the odds favor the Lakers to keep it.

I think ideally the Lakers keep it and trade it for a vet to attract another vet--- but ya never know....itll be interesting.
That's was my point to begin with - To me if they don't trade it(which they won't) and they lose it. Then yes they get Lakers first round pick next year. But there is a huge risk that the Lakers get better. If the Lakers win 30 games or so, they wouldn't move up that much, but the pick could easily drop down to the 11th or 12th, so they might be better off to deal for something guaranteed. From what Kupchak is saying, however he is making plans as if the Lakers lose the pick, so if the Lakers end up getting it - that will be even better and honestly - I am not going to be upset if the Lakers don't get it. I think they have a good core of rookies that will eventually be a quality team that will attract elite players. That won't be this year and most likely won't be next year, but the Lakers worst times are behind them

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's was my point to begin with - To me if they don't trade it(which they won't) and they lose it. Then yes they get Lakers first round pick next year. But there is a huge risk that the Lakers get better. If the Lakers win 30 games or so, they wouldn't move up that much, but the pick could easily drop down to the 11th or 12th, so they might be better off to deal for something guaranteed. From what Kupchak is saying, however he is making plans as if the Lakers lose the pick, so if the Lakers end up getting it - that will be even better and honestly - I am not going to be upset if the Lakers don't get it. I think they have a good core of rookies that will eventually be a quality team that will attract elite players. That won't be this year and most likely won't be next year, but the Lakers worst times are behind them

Look at this year's odds. 29 to 30 wins teams are in the 5 to 6 range. That's still prime real estate in a loaded draft. 11 to 12 range you're getting teams close to 40 wins, which outside of Durant showing up, isn't happening for the Lakers. So in 2017 (provided LA keeps the pick this year), that pick Philly has will almost certainly be a top 10 pick.You know Philly is going to be bad enough to be at the top of the draft board again next season too so that would give them two Top 10 picks in 2017, a draft that should be very good. Having the rights to the Lakers pick is THE best asset Philly has. The Suns were completely stupid for giving it up.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look at this year's odds. 29 to 30 wins teams are in the 5 to 6 range. That's still prime real estate in a loaded draft. 11 to 12 range you're getting teams close to 40 wins, which outside of Durant showing up, isn't happening for the Lakers. So in 2017 (provided LA keeps the pick this year), that pick Philly has will almost certainly be a top 10 pick.You know Philly is going to be bad enough to be at the top of the draft board again next season too so that would give them two Top 10 picks in 2017, a draft that should be very good. Having the rights to the Lakers pick is THE best asset Philly has. The Suns were completely stupid for giving it up.
The only thing is if the Lakers get to keep the pick, then there is next year for Philly, but if the Lakers were to land a couple of free agents and win even 40 games, I know that's a reach, but that pick could drop considerably lower and remember if the Lakers were to drop to the tenth worst team, then they that pick could end up not being as bright, but Philly wins either way and they want the talent now. I think it's too late any way for those kind of deals

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only thing is if the Lakers get to keep the pick, then there is next year for Philly, but if the Lakers were to land a couple of free agents and win even 40 games, I know that's a reach, but that pick could drop considerably lower and remember if the Lakers were to drop to the tenth worst team, then they that pick could end up not being as bright, but Philly wins either way and they want the talent now. I think it's too late any way for those kind of deals

That scenario is possible, but the Lakers don't have anything with dealing for if they aren't trading Clarkson, Russell or Randle.

Even if the Lakers got the top 3 pick this year and made the playoffs next, the pick would have more value than any other player currently on the Lakers roster. The possibility that this pick could turn into either 4 or 5 this season, or top 3 next year would make the 6ers beyond stupid to trade it for a mediocre role player. The pick has a lot more value than you think. Unless they are willing to deal Russell or Clarkson, they don't have the ammunition to get this pick back.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty easy answer to this, and that's hell no. Even if the Lakers add Simmons/Ingram this year they still won't approach 30 wins next season, which will put them right back into the lottery and anywhere from 5-7 I'd guess. Next year's draft is going to be much better than this one, so getting a 5-8 pick next year is better than getting the #4 pick this year. Hell even if the Sixers don't get it next year(still top 3 protected) they'll get it in 2018, which unless the Lakers land somebody of significance in free agency over this summer or next it'll still be a lottery pick. And the Sixers get the Kings 1st round pick in 2018, which will be lottery. I'm going to assume the Sixers will still suck so at that point they'll have 3 lottery picks in 2018 if the Lakers keep the protection of the pick.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with most on here. As a Lakers fan, I would love for the 76ers to be that stupid, but I don't think they are.

The one and only way in which this trade would make any sense for the 76ers is if the Lakers were willing to part with Russell, Randle or Clarkson and thus far, it looks as if the only way that would happen would be if they were trading the pick (if they even get it) and one of those 3 for someone like Butler or Paul George.

Outside of that, best case scenario for the 76ers is that the Lakers land at 4 or 5 and they get 2 top 5 picks.

Worst case, they get it unprotected next year and likely end up with no worse than a 7-10 pick. Even if the Lakers land good enough FA's to make the playoffs next year, it's still an extra first round pick for the Sixers and better than trading for anyone on the Lakers roster not named Russell, Randle or Clarkson.