• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Should NFL Players "Strike" Over Pay??

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jerry has always said the cap is good for the league thus he's never tried to end it, yet your brain has somehow placed Jerry has the owner who would support ending the cap.
Let's be honest you let team hate influence your statement. You can admit it, we all know anyway.

Why do you think I hate the Cowboys? I don't.

If you don't like the facts I've put out, feel free to refute them, but don't play assassinate the messenger, that's weak as fuck.

Sir Robin Of Camelot

You seem angry. Miserable, even.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NFL Revenue Sharing: How it works

that article is awesome since it quotes guess whom?

The blog also goes into some of the lawsuit history between Jerry and the NFL over things like stadium revenue, and contracts signed with advertisers.

I can keep schooling you guys if you want...

(edit)

I can't obviously verify what this guy posted, so feel free to discredit him if your google-fu is up to it.

I'll stick with the Forbes article. They seem to be a bit more credible when it comes to money.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're correct. This Forbes article details the history around their merchandising history.

Jerry Jones' 1995 Risk Allows The Dallas Cowboys To Become Leaders In The Growing Women's Sports Apparel Market

copied and pasted from pdf on NFL revenue sharing:

The NFL salary cap is complex. So complex that there are people dubbed \"capologists\" who help teams and the league work within the system. Basically, the NFL\'s salary cap, which came into being in 1994, is based on league revenues.

The official term is Defined Gross Revenues (DGR). The DGR is based on ticket sales, merchandise sales, and revenue from broadcasts. Once that amount is determined then the salary cap for each team is announced.

Sir Robin Of Camelot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
copied and pasted from pdf on NFL revenue sharing:

The NFL salary cap is complex. So complex that there are people dubbed \"capologists\" who help teams and the league work within the system. Basically, the NFL\'s salary cap, which came into being in 1994, is based on league revenues.

The official term is Defined Gross Revenues (DGR). The DGR is based on ticket sales, merchandise sales, and revenue from broadcasts. Once that amount is determined then the salary cap for each team is announced.

As you clearly have no intent of reading the Forbes article, let me do your fucking homework for you...

At an owners meeting in Atlanta in 1995, Jones was served with a $300 million lawsuit filed by NFL Properties. The lawsuit raised claims including violations of the Lanham Act, breach of contract, breach of the implied covenant of good faith, unjust enrichment and tortious interference with contractual rights.

In response to the lawsuit, Jones and the Cowboys filed a motion to dismiss. This motion was granted in part. Then, Jones took a big risk: He filed a $750 million antitrust lawsuit against the league. It was this legal maneuver that put the Cowboys on the ground to becoming the most valuable NFL franchise. In 2013, Forbes valued the team at a league-wide high of $2,300 million.

With portions of its lawsuit dismissed, Jones' antitrust lawsuit motivated the NFL to do one thing: Settle. The settlement agreement Jones reached with the NFL allowed Texas Stadium Corporation to maintain its contracts with American Express, Pepsi and Nike. It also provided every other NFL team the opportunity to sign their own stadium sponsorship agreements. Arguably, though, Jones was the big winner of the settlement agreement, as he also retained the right for the Cowboys to enter into their own licensing agreements. It is this right that allows the Cowboys to create merchandise apart from the NFL's licensing agreements.

You're welcome.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heh, I just read your article.

It is this right that allows the Cowboys to create merchandise apart from the NFL's licensing agreements.

Again, that doesn't say that it REPLACES the team's NFL licensing agreements, just that it creates some apart.

Subtle distinction, I know, but a distinction.

What the fuck would I know though, since I didn't read the article, or do my homework (more assassinate the messenger shit)

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why do you think I hate the Cowboys? I don't.

If you don't like the facts I've put out, feel free to refute them, but don't play assassinate the messenger, that's weak as fuck.
Sure you don't.
Facts are Jerry is PRO CAP, yet your fact seem to state otherwise. I'm going to suggest if your going to use facts in a discussion get your facts straight.

Sir Robin Of Camelot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heh, I just read your article.

It is this right that allows the Cowboys to create merchandise apart from the NFL's licensing agreements.

Again, that doesn't say that it REPLACES the team's NFL licensing agreements, just that it creates some apart.

Subtle distinction, I know, but a distinction.

What the fuck would I know though, since I didn't read the article, or do my homework (more assassinate the messenger shit)

No one said anything about "replacing" licensing agreements until your comment.

Hope your ability to make money is more lucid than your ability to make a legitimate point in a discussion. Because you failed in a big way on the latter.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmm, strange the way this thread turned out. Sherman was asked a question. He answered liked most would. He never mentioned anything about most of what was posted here, just that if they wanted more as far as short contract deals they should be be ready to strike for it. He said nothing about the cap or certain owners.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmm, strange the way this thread turned out. Sherman was asked a question. He answered liked most would. He never mentioned anything about most of what was posted here, just that if they wanted more as far as short contract deals they should be be ready to strike for it. He said nothing about the cap or certain owners.
But to raise their money the cap MUST be at least altered. And in in case of injury I cant see the NFL guaranteing contracts

Sir Robin Of Camelot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would agree but I just see this as a comment from a player who has no clue about how anything is done in the NFL.

Agreed... whether it's how the cap is negotiated or managed how revenue sharing occurs or basic financials 101, Mr. Sherman seems to be very under-educated in his knowledge of the league business.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would agree but I just see this as a comment from a player who has no clue about how anything is done in the NFL.
Agreed, maybe I'm wrong, but I seem to recall a strong stance about how smart Sherman was.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed... whether it's how the cap is negotiated or managed how revenue sharing occurs or basic financials 101, Mr. Sherman seems to be very under-educated in his knowledge of the league business.
I would say most players are. This is why they all have agents to deal with those details.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For more money? No.

For guarenteed money? Yes.

The best of the best would need to stick their nose out for the nobodies. Which won't happen. Maybe 5% of its employees actually matter to the NFLs bottom line. It'd require all of them to get anywhere for the others.

The players need to ditch their union first and foremost. It's shit and essentially just an extension of the NFL. The NFL needs meat and that what they employ. Once American meat isn't willing to risk life and limb for week to week checks, it'll import its meat.
This.

But I also think that if the players are granted guaranteed money the owner may push for penalty systems when players decide to sit out in non contract year. ie Guys side six year deal for 65 Mil, two seasons in he is killing and opts to skip camps while holding out for more money.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This.

But I also think that if the players are granted guaranteed money the owner may push for penalty systems when players decide to sit out in non contract year. ie Guys side six year deal for 65 Mil, two seasons in he is killing and opts to skip camps while holding out for more money.
How do you account for annual change over of rosters?