• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Should NFL Players "Strike" Over Pay??

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your views are terribly marred on both of these....There is 1 owner to a team x 32.....There are 53 men on each team roster x 32 = 1,696 players and you think because 1 owner per team that foots all the bills for the team should pay them all as he gets paid !!!! Brilliant !
By the way the HOF is just bursting at the seams with those one in a million athletes you claim only come once in a lifetime....Are you speaking of God's lifetime ????? C'mon man....

And you obviously don't understand the importance of a strong military to draw business with other counties that include buying, selling and investing in the greatest country in the world and the most prosperous regardless of the terrible debt those lying greedy, communist ,take from the wealthy that worked for it and give it to the lazy and no account demoncrats accumulated for us.....

View attachment 163220

This is so stupid I don't want to answer this crap.... but I will in a little. So freaking stupid.

JOZ

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If your not getting the money you want work harder and get better at what you do. quit taking so many plays off. these guys want everything handed to them. if your good enough you will get the money. if you dont get the money maybe you were not as good as you thought you were. or you got a cheap ass owner!

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You need to read up on it I guess then....Why do you think the owners love him and give him the leave way he has ?......He's the one negotiating the tv and orchestrated the London and Mex expansion....
The guy is a dog, but he's the owners prize dog....That's all !!

Maybe I need a refresher...I've read that Goodell was more or less the pitch man on the TV deal.

London and Mexico are new revenue streams, but relative to the overall pie...they barely register.

Think about it...you have 32 billionaires. Most of them made their money running businesses that are not football. What most of those guys are really good at is setting an overview plan and delegating.

The reality is the NFL sells itself imo. Ratings drive the growth in TV money would've occurred without him at the helm. Goodell appears to be universally hated by the players and many of the fans based on fan reaction to him at the draft. The owners like him because he has broad shoulders, willing to take the heat and to be frank, yes, he's good at those things.

The concussion protocol, the owners had legal council handle the due diligence and once they came back and said, there is some exposure here...they immediately put Roger out there to offer a settlement. CBA, yeah it can be difficult to get 32 billionaires to all agree, but they figure out what they want and tell Roger this is where we stand...go get it.

Roger is the face of the league, I'm not saying he doesn't have a voice in the room, but he takes his marching orders from the 32.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only way a strike would work is if the players all agreed after the 16 game season to strike right before the playoffs. Then that means the players have all gotten paid and it actually hurts the owners considering the biggest money is in the playoff games for viewership and sponsors. So they would actually have some pressure put on them to get somethign done in a hurry.

Even that though because so many players live paycheck to paycheck would still be a challenge. You would also be asking 12 teams to give up a chance at a Super Bowl possibly after playing a grueling 16 game schedule. If they wanted to make this work though sacrifices would have to be made and they would have to be well organized in advance of the CBA being done. So they got a few years here they would need to tell players to start saving now. Which how do you convince a 21-year old kid who just became a millionaire that he needs to save his money. Instead of buying that mansion and fancy car they have been dreaming about for the past 10 years nope put it in the bank.

Sherman for the most part is a smart dude but this whole situation just screams somebody who doesn't understand what the bottom half of the roster is going through. He has gotten paid and paid well from many different avenues. He has income coming in whether the NFL season is happening or not. So a strike doesn't affect him a whole lot. That player who is making league minimum though and has some bills starting to pile up well strike doesn't exactly sound good to him when he has a family to feed.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But it won't happen.....As much as I despise him, he is the juggernaut that keeps the money coming in and the players from turning it into a neighborhood gang of thugs.....
Somebody has to keep these animals in check or they will destroy the cash cow....:whip:

I agree, but on that same note, if he gets to keep his power as strong as it is then they should just dissolve the players association.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I was talking about the likelyhood of the players winning a strike. I just doubt the players could/ would stay on strike long enough to win.

That's the whole thing about striking. Striking doesn't necessarily mean they get more money; sometimes, it could mean they end up with less overall.

When they renewed the CBA, the owners' best offer was good enough that the players decided they didn't want to strike. If they think they can get more next time around by striking, try it. More power to 'em. But I doubt they will because the current deal is pretty fair.