• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Should NFL Players "Strike" Over Pay??

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are clearly personalizing it to the owners and specifically Jerry Jones....He is a brilliant business mind as compared to athletes that many can't half speak a complete sentence and don't have enough sense to hire a driver when they want to get looped....Not to mention carrying guns in public places, shooting themselves, killing dogs, beating up women etc etc....When is the last time you heard of Jerry doing any of those stupid things ????
Other than Irsay, they are the brains behind the fortune and without them and their money coming in, there is no league or opportunity for these players to be millionaires over night.....
And as far as our soldiers, they are the foundation of the fortunes this country has because of their service to protect our freedom and investments from other countries...In short, without them, this is not the land of opportunity but could be a third world country....They generate it all my friend, don't sell them short !!!

Jerry doesn't fight dogs!

Priceless.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I'm glad you put a lot of thought into figuring it out.

There's nothing to figure out. You're talking about "generalizations" when we're talking about the CBA (which both parties signed). There's nothing more specific down to the finest point of detail than than f***ing CBA. Lawyers don't write contracts with generalities.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's nothing to figure out. You're talking about "generalizations" when we're talking about the CBA (which both parties signed). There's nothing more specific down to the finest point of detail than than f***ing CBA. Lawyers don't write contracts with generalities.

Uh, dude, go back and re-read your last post to me before I responded to you with that comment. It's not all that hard.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Uh, dude, go back and re-read your last post to me before I responded to you with that comment. It's not all that hard.

You could just admit that your position is NFL players are all victims :Cry:, and it'll save us a lot of time.

They all had guns to their heads when they signed those multi-million-dollar contracts. Poor guys.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You could just admit that your position is NFL players are all victims :Cry:, and it'll save us a lot of time.

They all had guns to their heads when they signed those multi-million-dollar contracts. Poor guys.

Oh ffs, you're WAAAAY overthinking it.

You brought up generalizations, thus I played off that in my not very fucking serious reply.

But now that you've wound yourself up, please keep going!

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think any labor would win negotiation if their their requests were reasonable and they SUSTAINED a strike.

But, the rich NFL players are not going to subsidize those that are not rich long enough for a strike to work.

That said, I think the players have a reasonable split of the revenue. How they divide that up among the 1696 is another topic I guess.

But if the top NFL players are looking at the salaries paid in other leagues, how can they solve the real problems the players have.

Just looking at the Seahawks on over the cap, there are 50 players making less then million, half which make .5 mil or less. Most won't make the roster, but they'll still be union members. I'm guessing it's about the same for every team. Those low paid players will simply swamp the rich players when the vote to strike happens, or shortly there after.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
"Hi, I'm @NinerSickness , whatever I say is right, no one is allowed to have an opinion"

giphy.gif

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are clearly personalizing it to the owners and specifically Jerry Jones....He is a brilliant business mind as compared to athletes that many can't half speak a complete sentence and don't have enough sense to hire a driver when they want to get looped....Not to mention carrying guns in public places, shooting themselves, killing dogs, beating up women etc etc....When is the last time you heard of Jerry doing any of those stupid things ????
Other than Irsay, they are the brains behind the fortune and without them and their money coming in, there is no league or opportunity for these players to be millionaires over night.....
And as far as our soldiers, they are the foundation of the fortunes this country has because of their service to protect our freedom and investments from other countries...In short, without them, this is not the land of opportunity but could be a third world country....They generate it all my friend, don't sell them short !!!

1. No, just bringing up Jerry as an example (Nothing personal). I dont think Jerry deserves the money because a few athletes do stupid things.
2. I dont think 1/2 of our athletes cant speak a complete sentence. But its irrelevant. They work tremendously hard on top of being blessed with one in a million talent. These talents rake in billions.
3. Yes the owners set up the business but the players do all the work. The deserve millions if the owners are raking in billions. They are making BILLIONS and people think the players deserve less and the owners should get even more. Huhh?
4. Soldiers are important but they dont generate one penny. They are funded via tax dollars. I'd be more than happy to pay more taxes to help pay public servants more... but most Americans wont. Particularly super Patriotic republicans. You know they wont want to pay more in taxes.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Commissioner powers...I think the players need a disciplinary system that's uniform across the board with little to no gray area. You do this, that happens to you...Not some arbitrary decision based on how the commissioner feels on that given day. If you go that route you don't need a committee with representatives from the players side, the owners side, etc....hammer it out now. If there is situation that somehow falls through the cracks, you have one person from the NFLPA, one from the league, and one independent person that is arbitrary and gets paid 50% by the league and 50% by the NFLPA.

53 eligible & dump the PS...Overall rosters do not have enough depth. Sure, not every player drafted is ready to play, but with no real developmental league, the practice squad is all they have and other teams have access to those players...do away with practice squad and make all 53 players eligible every week.

Max reg season game at 16...the owners have said for sometime they would like to see 18 games. The players need to hold the line at 16. It's already a war of attrition with 16 games, that will only get worse with 18 games. Player career average is less than 3 yrs now, it's not worth the physical wear and tear.

Guaranteed contracts...all players making under $1 mil per season. If you get hurt in yr 1 and it's career ending, at least 50% of your total contract should be guaranteed. Yr 2, 75%, Yr 3+, 100%. Once guys are on their 2nd contract, the same should apply if they are under a million per season. Most of the players making a million+ per season all have signing bonuses but I still think there should be a minimum gauranteed there. On the flip if a team is carrying the salary of a player with a career ending injury it should not count against the cap.

I had a conversation once with a former NFL player for the Falcons and he said, yeah there are some high profile players that blow through their money, but the biggest reason 70% of all NFL player end up broke are rank and file players...they don't make near enough money for the lifestyle that pro athletes want to live. He said it's extremely difficult to tell a young man that's worked all his life to reach the NFL and now makes $700k a yr that he really should be living the lifestyle of a person that makes about $55-60k a yr. After agent, after taxes, $700k gets whittled down a lot faster than one might think....then 3 yrs later you're no longer making NFL money even if he didn't squander it, if you have a $2,000-$3,000 mortgage, 2 or 3 car payments, insurance etc...within 7 yrs, they're broke.

Granted that's a tangent and it's still on the player to manage what they make, but there's such a disparity that it's not even funny.

Kelvin Beachum was like a 7th rd pick for the Steelers...the guy wound up beating out a 2nd rd pick for the starting LT job in his 2nd yr...he's making like $400k a season ($25k a gm) lining up next to players like Pouncey who was making like $8-9 mil per ($500k a gm!!!)...kept his mouth shut, played out his rookie did and blows out his knee in this 4th season....fortunately Kelvin got his leg right and got another deal with the Jags as a FA, but a lot of guys don't get yr 2, much less that 2nd contract.

Anyway...sorry about my rant, but Richard Sherman is doing quite fine.

Kind of nailed it IMO. There is more to a strike than just making more money and hopefully they realize it this time as they didn't last time. They got their rookie wage scale but all it did was hurt the union of "middle class members". If they don't strike fine but I truly am sick of players bitching about X,Y, and Z when they could solve all of it (except all getting outrageous contracts) if they put their foot down. Then it's on them not to come crying back to the table after 4 missed game paychecks.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's more to their job. Its not like they only have to report to work from 1 to 4 on gamedays.
So they practice a few hours a day and most of it is non contact.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where did I say they played more than one? Yes, it's one game... But the risk of injury is far greater than a lot of other sports.

why the fuck am I being jumped on here.. There is no reason for it... I said compared to other sports.. That's all I fucking said...
I'm just challenging you in the arena of ideas. No need to get upset.

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So they practice a few hours a day and most of it is non contact.

So? Actors make waaay more and don't do shit either. There's are tons of examples making millions without putting in a ton of effort. Kim Kardashian gets paid $35,000 for each tweet she makes on behalf of a company. But for some reason... and I don't want to go down that road, people only complain about athletes.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So? Actors make waaay more and don't do shit either. There's are tons of examples making millions without putting in a ton of effort. But for some reason people only complain about athletes.
AS long as folks are willing to pay the price of a ticket all is good.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just looking at the Seahawks on over the cap, there are 50 players making less then million, half which make .5 mil or less. Most won't make the roster, but they'll still be union members. I'm guessing it's about the same for every team. Those low paid players will simply swamp the rich players when the vote to strike happens, or shortly there after.
Oh those poor chaps making only half a million.

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AS long as folks are willing to pay the price of a ticket all is good.

It's the TV revenues that bring in the billions! Good for them. The put themselves in a position to make millions and take advantage. It's the American way and everyone is fine with it except if their athletes.

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A half million a year for 3 years is more than many folks make in a lifetime.

Yeah... but that doesn't even get you a sweet house. The average price of a home in San Fran just crossed a million dollars. They can't even buy a house there. 1.5 after taxes is faaaar from being rich.