• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Should Joe Burrow "Pull an Eli" on the Bengals?

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One former first overall pick, Steve Bartkowski, thinks so.

Speaking directly to Burrow and his family from the Davey O'Brien Legends Award ceremony in Fort Worth, Texas, the former two-time Pro Bowl quarterback didn't mince his words regarding how the Heisman winner should handle the Bengals -- if they come a'calling.

"They're Ohio guys [and] I might've offended them by telling them that, but if it's the Bengals, I think I'd pull an Eli Manning on that one," Bartowski said. "I said, 'You've got a chance to do that.' That's happened. [John] Elway kind of set the tone, then the Mannings delved into it after Eli was picked by San Diego."

The Bengals are coming off of a 2-14 campaign and haven't had a winning season in their last four attempts. They were four games worse in Zac Taylor's first year as head coach of the club, after the team sent longtime coach Marvin Lewis packing, and the jury is out on if they can get things turned around quickly. After all, Burrow likely wouldn't have three-time All Pro wide receiver A.J. Green to throw to this coming season, and the Bengals are an organization not known for success, no matter who's calling the shots in the front office and on the sideline.

2020 NFL Draft: Former No.1 overall draft pick advises Joe Burrow to 'pull an Eli Manning' on Bengals

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yes, and he will. "i have leverage" he says.

no one wants to play in the queen city and be forced to eat that dog food.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lions?

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
his options for qb needy teams arent really any teams with great success histories........

The top 3 most likely spots are cincy, detroit, miami........

carolina, and sandiego in play

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is too humble, too good a person to pull the shit Eli and Elway pulled. He will play for Cincinnati, because there is NO WAY the Bengals do not select him.

*Anything in italics is from the article, anything in regular print is my commentary. There is so much in this article, I just pulled out highlights I really enjoyed.

The Roots And Rising Of Joe Burrow

"Joe being Joe?" he is asked in his office among three generations of Athens helmets and a ball from the 2014 state championship game Joey nearly pulled out in the 56-52 loss to Toledo Central Catholic. "If we had 30 more seconds …"

Athens has never been known as an Ohio football power, but for the three years Burrow quarterbacked them the Bulldogs were. They're going to name the stadium after him this upcoming season and they're sure this sign that hangs in the end zone on the outside of a weight room wall is still going to be in fashion: "2014 Athens Bulldogs. 861 Points. Highest scoring team in OHSAA history."
- He also won 2014 Ohio's Mr. Football Award.

What does he do with LSU, oh yeah, went undefeated his final season, set damn near every single season QB record in the NCAA, won the Heisman, and the National Championship.

He missed out on the State Championship in High School by a slim margin, did it in college, now it is just time for him to win a Superbowl with THE BENGALS!

"As soon as people started saying, 'LSU isn't a good fit, not sure if he can go there and win, I was thinking, 'Well, that locks it down, he'll go to LSU,''' White says. "He certainly likes being the underdog, the chip on his shoulder type guy, but I think he also thrives on the big stage. I think he loves playing in big games.

"It goes all the way back to high school. We are historically not a great program. He took us to the state championship game. Then he went to LSU, a double-tight-end-pound-the-ball team and you can't win doing that anymore and Joe went down there and they won (in a new scheme.) It's funny. To hear people say he can't win in Cincinnati, I want to say, 'Wait a minute. People have been telling him that forever.' To me maybe it's the best situation."

"He can motivate with very few words," Adam says. "Just how he carries himself on and off the field. The facial expression and body language. You'll never see him freak out when things aren't going his way."

Adam says he was also one of those guys who knew what he had. The Saturday after football games the team made a practice of going to eat at a Bob Evans. Before they left one day, Adam noticed Burrow grab a to-go box, put some food in it and without saying anything drove it to a nearby homeless man.

"It's something he would talk about," Adam says. "He'd say how lucky we were."

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So...lets look at the options.

Washington: A team that gave up on RG3, Cousins, and now Haskins. Keenum did nothing here. Good luck.
Detroit: They manage to be bad even though they technically have a franchise QB. The Refs actively seem to hate them, too
NYG: Not happening
Miami: The team where everyone gets better when they leave
Chargers: Literally the team Eli Manning was afraid of
Carolina: Went to a Super Bowl with Cam, would expect more from Burrow with a much worse roster

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Washington: A team that gave up on RG3, Cousins, and now Haskins. Keenum did nothing here. Good luck.
Detroit: They manage to be bad even though they technically have a franchise QB. The Refs actively seem to hate them, too
Carolina: Went to a Super Bowl with Cam, would expect more from Burrow with a much worse roster

Good points. His only hope would be ending up in Carolina in some kind of massive trade. The rest of his options are super bleak. Poor kid. He should retire.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One former first overall pick, Steve Bartkowski, thinks so.

Speaking directly to Burrow and his family from the Davey O'Brien Legends Award ceremony in Fort Worth, Texas, the former two-time Pro Bowl quarterback didn't mince his words regarding how the Heisman winner should handle the Bengals -- if they come a'calling.

"They're Ohio guys [and] I might've offended them by telling them that, but if it's the Bengals, I think I'd pull an Eli Manning on that one," Bartowski said. "I said, 'You've got a chance to do that.' That's happened. [John] Elway kind of set the tone, then the Mannings delved into it after Eli was picked by San Diego."

The Bengals are coming off of a 2-14 campaign and haven't had a winning season in their last four attempts. They were four games worse in Zac Taylor's first year as head coach of the club, after the team sent longtime coach Marvin Lewis packing, and the jury is out on if they can get things turned around quickly. After all, Burrow likely wouldn't have three-time All Pro wide receiver A.J. Green to throw to this coming season, and the Bengals are an organization not known for success, no matter who's calling the shots in the front office and on the sideline.

2020 NFL Draft: Former No.1 overall draft pick advises Joe Burrow to 'pull an Eli Manning' on Bengals
think it is funny when they point out how bad a team is that has a #1 draft pick.

How do you think they got the #1 draft pick.
How good do you think a team with the #2 draft pick is?

but the answer to the question is...... No! he shouldnt pull an Eli. he should be a man & become an instant millionaire & quit complaining!!!

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good points. His only hope would be ending up in Carolina in some kind of massive trade. The rest of his options are super bleak. Poor kid. He should retire.
Yeah, Carolina would require a decent sized trade and that defense was 32nd against the run according to Footballoutsiders and that was with Kuechly.

Not only that, but there are still a lot of Cam defenders out there

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Carolina is probably the best spot for him. With that defense that carried Cam to the SB, any halfway decent QB could've done the job. If they can get there with a bad QB with a sub 60% career completion percentage, they have a path of less resistance to do it with someone like Burrow whose primary skill strength is being a talented passer.

megalodon30

Archduke of Crosstown Busses
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,967.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Carolina is probably the best spot for him. With that defense that carried Cam to the SB, any halfway decent QB could've done the job. If they can get there with a bad QB with a sub 60% career completion percentage, they have a path of less resistance to do it with someone like Burrow whose primary skill strength is being a talented passer.

Kuechly and Rivera are gone. That defense is destined to regress.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kuechly and Rivera are gone. That defense is destined to regress.
True, but it didn't take long to assemble that defense. If Joe is worth his salt, he'll be in the league 15+ years.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's pretty close to his home.

Either way, his other options are pretty bleak. Miami/Cincy are both shit shows, but he gets a great bang for his buck. F LA and California, that place is a shit show and you can kiss like 50% of your paycheck gone right out of the gates (state + fed taxes) with what he'll make.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Imo, The best spot with him would be the Giants if they traded Daniel Jones and Gettleman away to move up to #1.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They're even worse.

giphy.gif

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

i thought washington liked haskins?

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Imo, The best spot with him would be the Giants if they traded Daniel Jones and Gettleman away to move up to #1.
Do you think they could realistically get a lot for Jones? It’s too early to pin him down yet...even so I’d bet a first rounder would be tough to negotiate.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you think they could realistically get a lot for Jones? It’s too early to pin him down yet...even so I’d bet a first rounder would be tough to negotiate.
i do, drafted high, had some nice games............but why or who even thinks hes available