• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Sharks re-sign Jamie McGinn, Frazer McLaren

Mr. Teal

Non-tipper
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was announced Thursday that the San Jose Sharks have re-signed physical forwards Jamie McGinn and Frazer McLaren to one-year deals.

(Perhaps Todd McLellan can convince Doug Wilson to re-sign John McCarthy so he can put all three on the same line so there can be a classic nickname like the McRib line? One's ribs would certainly feel the impact of going up against them.)

As per team policy, terms were not disclosed for either player. But since the NHL.com signings page is listing McGinn's contract as $680,000—down more than $300,000 from last season—it can be assumed McLaren is being paid less.

McGinn, 22, is 6'1" and 195 pounds. He posted six points in 49 regular season games and another in seven postseason contests.

McLaren, 23, is 6'5" and 250 pounds. He made $543,333 last season and has appeared in just 32 games over two years, with six points total.

McGinn is also one of the Sharks best shot-blocking forwards and ranked among the top-30 draft picks of the 2006 (he was selected 36th). His physical play in the Western Conference Finals against Vancouver made an impact in the only game the Sharks won in that series.

McLaren, 23, is an enforcer with an even more physical defensive game that matches his size. It is unlikely he will ever be any more than the fourth line player he would be on the current Sharks payroll, while McGinn would project to the third line as of now.

However, McLaren is not likely to be part of the every-day roster (Check out the series on roster projections at the Sharks page at Sports Haze Bay Area.).

Assuming the Sharks re-sign more from their abundance of part-time role-playing forwards, he likely ranks 13th to 15th on the depth chart. But McGinn has a very good shot at being a third-line forward on what should still be a Stanley Cup contender in 2011-12.

San Jose still has the following unrestricted free agents with NHL experience unsigned: Ian White, Kent Huskins, Ben Eager and Thomas Greiss, plus Scott Nichol and Jamal Mayers, whom Wilson has said they would not re-sign.

McCarthy and Benn Ferriero are the only two unsigned restricted free agents with NHL experience. Other teams can officially begin bargaining with free agents Friday, July 1, at 9 a.m. PDT.

MacJ88

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like McGinn and I LOVE the fact that he has found a role on this team. 2011-2012 will be a big year for McGinn and by that I don't mean he is going to rack up a bunch of points but I believe he is going to play a major role with his speed and physical play. He will be a fan favorite by the end of the season.