• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Seattle Mariners 2022-2023 Offseason Thread

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pitt seems the most pitch needy team
In the league..
Carlson needs this trade..a career move.
For a chance..
He will make it...he should A plus this year..but it would be harder With the mariners..

Toro who is so near to break out ..you can
Smell it..its the same..a career move..
To a team..where everone..is fighting
For a job right know..

Miller..
And Kuhn
Are know comoditys..

With sometime in 2023..if they are with pitt

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If
Fraizer ..is Pete rose...
THEN
A rraez. . is ichiro..

For a comparison ,....

I still like...pete rose..i mean..fraizer..to
Yankees....lplollo

Last edited:

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,005.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cal is the only mariner that is a finalist for gold glove at his position.

What a year he had. I remember the buzz around zunino when he first came up, but Cal is for sure becoming a bigger deal.

No other M was in the top 3 defensively at their position.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dipoto on France:

“I don’t think very concerned. Ty’s always been a terrific hitter, and for whatever reason he didn’t have a great second half,” Dipoto said. ” … I do think that there was a period of time in there, when he got so conscious of the ball running in on him that he just started to drift open and swing at bad pitches. Any type of slump is almost always going to be predicated by the pitches that you swing at. The same (with) your successes … And Ty swung at much worse pitches for the bulk of the second half of the season.”

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dipoto on 2B:

“It’s going to change the way you might look at an offensive player,” he said of the shift going away. “A hitter’s style is now comes into play a little bit more than it used to. And also your middle infielders’ range … What’ll be more of a consideration this year is not necessarily the offensive package, but when you’re putting someone on a second base, can they cover the land? Because without the advantage of standing out in the grass, it does change the way defense is going to look.”

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dipoto on CF:

“I can’t imagine what that scenario is in terms of Julio not playing center field. I think he did a wonderful job,” Dipoto said. “Julio will be starting for us in the outfield next year. That’s the way that’ll work. But my my guess is that he will be starting in center field because I think he showed that he can be an impact center fielder, and the relative offense that he provides from that position is huge.”

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dipoto on Corner OF:

As far as the corner spots go, that’s a different story with Haniger hitting free agency, injury and productivity question marks for Winker and Kyle Lewis as well as questions whether Kelenic or Trammell are ready to play every day.

Dipoto said the ideal scenario is having four outfielders that give left-handed and right-handed balance at the plate, and that one of the four would serve as designated hitter while not in the field. Additionally, utility players Dylan Moore and Sam Haggerty can fill in, also.

When discussing that plan for the outfield and DH spot, Dipoto brought up Winker, a 2021 All-Star who struggled mightily in his first year with the Mariners and who Dipoto said underwent or will undergo multiple surgeries for his knee and neck this offseason.

“Frankly and ideally, we see Jesse Winker as that guy. That’s part of the reason why we would like to build the outfield set up in that way, which was the intent when we acquired him,” Dipoto said. “And then all of the other guys got hurt and Jesse wound up playing left field every day, which was putting a lot of burden on him and not ideal for his own productivity. That’s the way we see it working with the outfielders.”

What about Kelenic, a former top prospect who has taken lumps at the MLB level the last two years but also had some nice moments late in both 2021 and 2022?

“We do see (Kelenic) as a part of that. I think he showed very good things at the end of the regular season, and I thought his at-bats against Toronto – and the first pinch-hit that he took against the Astros in Houston – really good. And his final day wasn’t the best day of the season, but there was a lot of positive things that led up,” Dipoto said.

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pitt
Bea
Barco...LHP

Is what ya like to trade for with ..pitt
Mariners need LHP..pirates have time..to wait..?????
And B arco is still 3 years away..
Miller is this year..and Kuhn as well
Yarbough..with Tampa will do for kmow..
With pitt..prob a non tender..

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dipoto on Haniger:

“We love Mitch. He’s been a driver of building a process in our clubhouse. He works as hard as anybody in the league,” he said. “He’s dealt with a lot of unfortunate injuries. He’s built up he put in his time and developed his credibility as a major league player, and deserves the opportunity that he gave himself, which is to go find out what the market will bear for him. We maintain interest, I think he has interest in coming back here, but I wouldn’t call it a slam dunk.”

MarinersBestFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dipoto on France:

“I don’t think very concerned. Ty’s always been a terrific hitter, and for whatever reason he didn’t have a great second half,” Dipoto said. ” … I do think that there was a period of time in there, when he got so conscious of the ball running in on him that he just started to drift open and swing at bad pitches. Any type of slump is almost always going to be predicated by the pitches that you swing at. The same (with) your successes … And Ty swung at much worse pitches for the bulk of the second half of the season.”

Very alarming statement

Big league hitters ( and pitchers ) make adjustments mid game and mid at bats etc etc ( pitch sequence and locations for pitchers )

The fact that Dipoto made such a statement regarding France validates that not only is France not skilled enough currently asa hitter to make 'during the game / at bat changes to drive the ball somewhere with solid contact, But our .org claims he was unable to make an adjustment over a span of 300 plus at bats.

I am not a hitting coach and I could clearly see watching game after game and at bat after at bat he was not only swing ( and MISSING ) at balls off the plate away, he was unable to cover outside strikes on the edge of the plate ( swing and miss rate was atrocious on those pitches )

I have very little confidence in France being an everyday position player next season and I do not think he is even a solid bench player or DH for us.

I know he is a fan favorite, but I am judging him by baseball ability now and future. He is NEVER going to get any faster on the base paths.
And starting next season with zero shifts allowed, all clubs are going to need a 1st basemen who is quick on his feet and can really cover some range on the right side of the infield ( and France is NOT that guy )

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very alarming statement

Big league hitters ( and pitchers ) make adjustments mid game and mid at bats etc etc ( pitch sequence and locations for pitchers )

The fact that Dipoto made such a statement regarding France validates that not only is France not skilled enough currently asa hitter to make 'during the game / at bat changes to drive the ball somewhere with solid contact, But our .org claims he was unable to make an adjustment over a span of 300 plus at bats.

I am not a hitting coach and I could clearly see watching game after game and at bat after at bat he was not only swing ( and MISSING ) at balls off the plate away, he was unable to cover outside strikes on the edge of the plate ( swing and miss rate was atrocious on those pitches )

I have very little confidence in France being an everyday position player next season and I do not think he is even a solid bench player or DH for us.

I know he is a fan favorite, but I am judging him by baseball ability now and future. He is NEVER going to get any faster on the base paths.
And starting next season with zero shifts allowed, all clubs are going to need a 1st basemen who is quick on his feet and can really cover some range on the right side of the infield ( and France is NOT that guy )
If he wasn't so cheap, I would want him replaced. But he is still good value for the money. As far as what Jerry said, it makes sense. He basically said he was afraid to get hit again and was pulling off pitches. Not sure that is 100% the reason for his problems because like you said the outside pitches were killing him. You wouldn't pull off them if scared. Only middle-in pitches. Of course they bring up the injuries again. Cal was injured, France was banged up. Big difference.

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hard to manufacture a meetch haniger..
Seems you have to wait 30 years.

But sign conforto...in the mean time..
Is good..
France..if all ball players..are not always working..on there swing..

They should be....
All the reasons..you said.is why..
He had a down year....
But will be looking to fix it...
So ..

The mariners are still working with..
France..and white.
At 1 base...robert Perez jr..is on his way
I doubt they go anywhere..
.on 1b..unless it is in the draft..

As the baseball...turns..

Last edited:

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The mariners are a playoff team..
The guys they have..are good..

It's eval time...??..
So it is....

And a lot of stuff...comes out..at this time

Everyone's weakness is put on trial..

In the end..you can only change..xxxx

Amount of stuff...then you have to..
Move on to a new season..

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ill try to bait...and switch ya...

Winker..
Or
Kirilloff..
Or
Conforto..

Or kirilloff
And
Conforto..

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why twinn s like W inker.

Planco is there top base on balls guy
With 64
Carea wants segura job..in phili..
Had61..
A rraez next with 50..of coarse I'm trying to trade for him..

Winkers 70..and normal of 84..will do for them for know..one of the highest
Walk rates in the league..

Minnesota used kiriloff dh /LF

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most likly..minnesota..goes..

Buxton c.f.
Wallner..RF.L/L
Larnash......L/L..LF

Celestin....OF/CF
Gordan....LF..and infeild

Who prob minnesotavwantsvto trade for..after mariners..
Cinnci..encarnation=Strand..3b

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As you can see..minnesota does not need kelenic..mariners need
Kelenic...
6 out field is standard on 40 man

Haniger..maybe..
Conforto..maybe
Julio rod
Lewis
Kelenic
Kirilloff

With the likly that P ittsburgh trades Reynolds to dodgers...
T rammel
Hill

Last edited:

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But what about nimmo..
Good point..

In this case..mariners carry 7..till the deadline..
Or even after..cuz one is a DH..
Makes 5 on 26..
Plus 2 at tacoma..
Plus albert rodriguez makes..8

Last edited:

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or let me roll the dice at the end..