• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Seahawks rank amongst the most successful franchises

Wolvie

2018 DCFFL Champion!
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Team Encyclopedias and Records | Pro-Football-Reference.com

As a franchise, going into the 2016 season we are 305-307. That means that this upcoming season we can finally eclipse that all-elusive .500 benchmark and become a "winning" franchise. All we to do is go 10-6. Nine wins would put us exactly at .500.

We can also leapfrog three teams in winning percentage if all goes right: the rams (.500), chargers (.505), and the redskins (.505). After that the next best is the Chiefs (.514).

In 38 seasons, we have been to the playoffs 14 times, not too shabby. The Cowboys have had crazy success throughout their franchise in comparison as they have been to the playoffs 17 more times than us, even though they had only been in existence 16 more years than us. That is bananas.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you go back to the beginning of the Holmgren era, there really haven't been many more successful teams. We have 3 SB appearances in that span, which I think is only bested by NE (I know Pittsburgh also has 3). A bunch of double digit win seasons and I think we've only missed the playoffs about 5 times in the last 15 years. I'm hoping we're still at the leading edge of the window, but that is still pretty good compared to the rest of the league in that span. You listen to some of the yahoos on the general forum, and it's like we didn't we a game before 2012.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ravens also have 3 SB appearances I think -- 1 with Differ & 2 with Flacco -- but again I can't think of a team that has more than 3 other than NE.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Team Encyclopedias and Records | Pro-Football-Reference.com

As a franchise, going into the 2016 season we are 305-307. That means that this upcoming season we can finally eclipse that all-elusive .500 benchmark and become a "winning" franchise. All we to do is go 10-6. Nine wins would put us exactly at .500.

We can also leapfrog three teams in winning percentage if all goes right: the rams (.500), chargers (.505), and the redskins (.505). After that the next best is the Chiefs (.514).

In 38 seasons, we have been to the playoffs 14 times, not too shabby. The Cowboys have had crazy success throughout their franchise in comparison as they have been to the playoffs 17 more times than us, even though they had only been in existence 16 more years than us. That is bananas.

Yep, the closest the team has been, the next closest was when the team was 112-116 after the 1990 season (the Flores years just destroyed the overall record.)

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, the closest the team has been, the next closest was when the team was 112-116 after the 1990 season (the Flores years just destroyed the overall record.)

I would add the entire Berhing era was a flat out disaster/disgrace. The only good thing to come out of that was Paul Allen buying the team and bringing competitive football back to Seattle.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

People have forgotten how "expansion teams" were built in the 70's and 80's. The Fact that the Hawks were 112-116 in 1990 AND playing in the toughest division in the NFL at that time ( AFC West ) with LA Raiders, Chargers, KC and Denver is HUGE, They were the winningest expansion club based off the old expansion rules. Seemed like every year there was only 1 team in the division with a losing record and it changed yearly of who it was. the 90's killed this franchise's overall record and Ken Berhing did it on purpose. It sucked that the Hawks had to put up with a owner that destroyed the team ON PURPOSE to make fans less interested. To bad for him it didn't work, the 12's have ALWAYS been here and always will be here.

LOUD AND PROUD 12'S FOR LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
GO HAWKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People have forgotten how "expansion teams" were built in the 70's and 80's. The Fact that the Hawks were 112-116 in 1990 AND playing in the toughest division in the NFL at that time ( AFC West ) with LA Raiders, Chargers, KC and Denver is HUGE, They were the winningest expansion club based off the old expansion rules. Seemed like every year there was only 1 team in the division with a losing record and it changed yearly of who it was. the 90's killed this franchise's overall record and Ken Berhing did it on purpose. It sucked that the Hawks had to put up with a owner that destroyed the team ON PURPOSE to make fans less interested. To bad for him it didn't work, the 12's have ALWAYS been here and always will be here.

LOUD AND PROUD 12'S FOR LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
GO HAWKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Fan support waned in the 90s. So much so that it really wasn't even that hard to get season tickets when the new stadium opened in 2002. That's how I got mine. Now the wait list is well beyond 2020.

MKHawk

KFFL Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you go back to the beginning of the Holmgren era, there really haven't been many more successful teams. We have 3 SB appearances in that span, which I think is only bested by NE (I know Pittsburgh also has 3). A bunch of double digit win seasons and I think we've only missed the playoffs about 5 times in the last 15 years. I'm hoping we're still at the leading edge of the window, but that is still pretty good compared to the rest of the league in that span. You listen to some of the yahoos on the general forum, and it's like we didn't we a game before 2012.

Since 1999
6 Appearances: Patriots (4 wins)
3 Appearances: Giants (2), Steelers (2), Seahawks (1)
2 Appearances: Ravens (2), Colts (1), Rams (1)
1 Appearance (win): Packers, Saints, Buccaneers
1 Appearance (loss): Broncos, 49ers, Cardinals, Bears, Eagles, Panthers, Raiders, Titans

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would add the entire Berhing era was a flat out disaster/disgrace. The only good thing to come out of that was Paul Allen buying the team and bringing competitive football back to Seattle.

Yep... That set this franchise back a decade or so ... Behring destroyed what was a competitive team in the 80's... The 90's were incredibly painful ... It took time for Seattle's roster too dig out of what Behring did... We were SO lucky they didn't leave town... Man that would a been beyond sad...

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As evil as Behring was, I think the main reason the 90s were so terrible is because we failed to find the QB. Krieg was an up and down player but good enough to win with in the 80s, but by the early 90s he was gone. We whiffed on Stouffer, whiffed on McGwire, and whiffed on #2 overall pick Mirer. John Friesz also didn't work. Our best signal caller of the decade was 40 year old Warren Moon. When you struggle like that to find a QB, a decade of irrelevance can click by pretty quickly.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep... That set this franchise back a decade or so ... Behring destroyed what was a competitive team in the 80's... The 90's were incredibly painful ... It took time for Seattle's roster too dig out of what Behring did... We were SO lucky they didn't leave town... Man that would a been beyond sad...

Didn't the league owners vote unanimously to block the move? I can't remember. You're right though, if the Seahawks left that would have been crushing.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As evil as Behring was, I think the main reason the 90s were so terrible is because we failed to find the QB. Krieg was an up and down player but good enough to win with in the 80s, but by the early 90s he was gone. We whiffed on Stouffer, whiffed on McGwire, and whiffed on #2 overall pick Mirer. John Friesz also didn't work. Our best signal caller of the decade was 40 year old Warren Moon. When you struggle like that to find a QB, a decade of irrelevance can click by pretty quickly.

Talk about an extreme high when Mirer was drafted as the next Joe Montana and a complete low when he ended up a mediocore QB at best for us.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mirer had a solid Rookie season and his second year wasn't to bad, but by then the Hawks knew he had issues throwing to his left and should have used that inside knowledge and traded him. He was better than Drew Bledsoe at the time ( Stats wise )and teams would have gave up a lot for him. Problem was Ownership didn't want a good team. The Hawks could have traded him after his rookie season for another 1st and most likely a 2nd and a late round pick easily.

Problem was in 94-96 the QB's that came out were BAD As far as first rounders go. I think None was picked in the 1st in 96 lol.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mirer had a solid Rookie season and his second year wasn't to bad, but by then the Hawks knew he had issues throwing to his left and should have used that inside knowledge and traded him. He was better than Drew Bledsoe at the time ( Stats wise )and teams would have gave up a lot for him. Problem was Ownership didn't want a good team. The Hawks could have traded him after his rookie season for another 1st and most likely a 2nd and a late round pick easily.

Problem was in 94-96 the QB's that came out were BAD As far as first rounders go. I think None was picked in the 1st in 96 lol.

Mirer did start out with promise.... But by his second season it was clear he wasn't able to go through progressions worth a dam... But like you said his rookie season he showed signs of hope .... But man, up until that point we were SO used to seeing horrible QB play .... Mirer was actually a step up ... But not much of a step up...

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mirer did start out with promise.... But by his second season it was clear he wasn't able to go through progressions worth a dam... But like you said his rookie season he showed signs of hope .... But man, up until that point we were SO used to seeing horrible QB play .... Mirer actually showed signs of hope.. But it didn't last long...

Terrible QB play? only because people can't truly appreciate the genius that is Stan Gelbaugh!!!! #18 shall go down as the most misunderstood players the NFL has ever seen!!!!! :)

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sad, but true for us Hawk fans.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Terrible QB play? only because people can't truly appreciate the genius that is Stan Gelbaugh!!!! #18 shall go down as the most misunderstood players the NFL has ever seen!!!!! :)
Agreed. I could never understand why Gelbaugh tried out for football.