• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Seahawk QB Dilemma?

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Justin Fields remains to be determined
Dwayne Haskins was a bust but I thought that going in to his career. You can see a major difference in how he was treated versus Stroud

Jt Barrett was not overhyped
Candale Jones was a 7th rounder
Braxton Miller became a wr
Terell Pryor also became a wide receiver and was a supplental choice

Bama has the better recent history with Jones and Hurts and both were late first to 3rd round selections

In fact I'd argue the opposite. Osu and Bama qbs are very much evaluated with the talent around them in question.

Fields is just such a next level athlete his grade was probably a little high for his throwing ability.

We're talking about taking these guys with top 5 picks though, not taking a 3rd rd flyer on a guy. These picks can make or break franchises, and skipping on other top talent while also whiffing on a QB can make things even worse. The stakes are much higher with Stroud and Young and the failure rate of other QBs from uber-talented rosters should be taken into consideration with that much on the line, not to mention neither of them has shown the kind of "can't miss" potential that someone like Andrew Luck had coming out.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We're talking about taking these guys with top 5 picks though, not taking a 3rd rd flyer on a guy. These picks can make or break franchises, and skipping on other top talent while also whiffing on a QB can make things even worse. The stakes are much higher with Stroud and Young and the failure rate of other QBs from uber-talented rosters should be taken into consideration with that much on the line, not to mention neither of them has shown the kind of "can't miss" potential that someone like Andrew Luck had coming out.

I don't disagree with this take at all.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Justin Fields remains to be determined
Dwayne Haskins was a bust but I thought that going in to his career. You can see a major difference in how he was treated versus Stroud

Jt Barrett was not overhyped
Candale Jones was a 7th rounder
Braxton Miller became a wr
Terell Pryor also became a wide receiver and was a supplental choice

Bama has the better recent history with Jones and Hurts and both were late first to 3rd round selections

In fact I'd argue the opposite. Osu and Bama qbs are very much evaluated with the talent around them in question.

Fields is just such a next level athlete his grade was probably a little high for his throwing ability.
Joe Burrow had gone to school there for 3 years. Just saying.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea if you throw Joe in there you have the potential that 7 of the 32 starting qbs in the league next year will have played for osu or Bama provided Bryce and CJ get there.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To Dwayne's defense, he did throw for 50+ TD's that year. It isn't like Dwayne was a scrubb for the OSU offense.
Haskins (God rest his soul) was the perfect storm for a flawed evaluation. He had one monster year as a starter but little other game experience outside of that one year. Additionally, he played for a team that was loaded. Plus OL, plus run game, plus weapons to throw to, etc…. The Mac Jones story is similar and why I didn’t like him as a prospect when he came out.

kcden

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,680.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Without going into explicit detail:
*Sign Geno to a 2 to 4 year deal at $28 to 32 million a year, and frontload it so the team can have an out after 2 to 3 years if necessary.
*Use the franchise tag if necessary.

-Note that the further the team goes, the more Geno's price goes up. If there is a deep playoff run then he will be demanding $40 million or more.

*Look to find a QB with potential on the draft, and let him learn behind Geno for a year or two if necessary.

Now this sounds homerish, but after watching Penix at UW this year, I think he would be a perfect candidate:
-Has good arm strength and great touch.
-Good decision making.
-Left handed, like Geno. This is a factor because of how the young Seahawks OL, particularly the OTs, have played.
-Leads nation in passing while running a pro style offense (not the stat boosting Air Raid stuff).

Now Penix has just announced that he was returning to UW for his senior year as he is being projected as a 3rd rounder at best, but I think that is insane. He had outplayed and looked like a better pro prospect than many higher rated guys. I know he has had a couple of bad leg injuries but he has been healthy all this year.
But waiting another year still would work in this scenerio.
Geno isn't Left-Handed...

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haskins (God rest his soul) was the perfect storm for a flawed evaluation. He had one monster year as a starter but little other game experience outside of that one year. Additionally, he played for a team that was loaded. Plus OL, plus run game, plus weapons to throw to, etc…. The Mac Jones story is similar and why I didn’t like him as a prospect when he came out.

The other major issue I had with Haskins was the offense they ran for him.. he rarely had to make the kind of throws Stroud is as they spread the field and mostly utilized their speed on the edges with a host of flares and bubbles etc..

It was basically Tebowish.

Day runs much more pro style of an offense where they try to stretch the field more downfield.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The other major issue I had with Haskins was the offense they ran for him.. he rarely had to make the kind of throws Stroud is as they spread the field and mostly utilized their speed on the edges with a host of flares and bubbles etc..

It was basically Tebowish.

Day runs much more pro style of an offense where they try to stretch the field more downfield.
I like Stroud and I like Young as a prospect. They are the guys I would use a first on. That’s it. I don’t like Levis as I mentioned earlier. Guys like Jayden Daniels or Spencer Rattler are guys I’d take a 3rd or 4th round flyer on.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have seen the roster that surrounded Burrow in LSU in 2019 right? I don't think that having good weapons around you in college dictates what kind of QB you can be in the pros. It is all the little things that seem to make great QB's. Having natural ability like Mahomes, Allen and Herbert don't hurt either. I think the best traits for a QB is their ability to galvanize a locker room. Be the guy everyone wants to win for. Guys want to go to war with you and lay it all on the line. Intelligence. Charisma. Ability to read defenses. A smart leader with good tools is the guy you want leading your team.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Stroud and I like Young as a prospect. They are the guys I would use a first on. That’s it. I don’t like Levis as I mentioned earlier. Guys like Jayden Daniels or Spencer Rattler are guys I’d take a 3rd or 4th round flyer on.

Agreed

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have seen the roster that surrounded Burrow in LSU in 2019 right? I don't think that having good weapons around you in college dictates what kind of QB you can be in the pros. It is all the little things that seem to make great QB's. Having natural ability like Mahomes, Allen and Herbert don't hurt either. I think the best traits for a QB is their ability to galvanize a locker room. Be the guy everyone wants to win for. Guys want to go to war with you and lay it all on the line. Intelligence. Charisma. Ability to read defenses. A smart leader with good tools is the guy you want leading your team.
Burrow played more than one year as a starter. It’s a more complete piece to evaluate and why he doesn’t fit the Haskins circumstance.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't like Young very much. The small QB model is really showing it's flaws and this kid is slight as well as small. Stroud might be the only legit first rounder but he is definitely not a slam dunk and could get exposed. I agree on Levis. I think that kid is a bust. I think if Seattle somehow has that 2nd overall and the Texans take a QB, the Hawks absolutely have to jump at the chance to get Jalen Carter. He can be a game changer immediately and Seattle desperately needs a force on the Dline. Geno may or may not be the long term answer but developing a later QB pick would be better than losing out on a superstar DT. Even if it's the 3rd pick and say Chicago takes Carter, Will Anderson as an edge rusher is still a far superior option. Seattle can then look at other needs with the later picks.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO it is SB or bust over the next two years, which makes me think QB is not going to be a consideration. Sign Geno, go all in on D and grab a WR and RB for the offense in the draft.

Can SB or bust and Geno at QB even be in the same plan?

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't like Young very much. The small QB model is really showing it's flaws and this kid is slight as well as small. Stroud might be the only legit first rounder but he is definitely not a slam dunk and could get exposed. I agree on Levis. I think that kid is a bust. I think if Seattle somehow has that 2nd overall and the Texans take a QB, the Hawks absolutely have to jump at the chance to get Jalen Carter. He can be a game changer immediately and Seattle desperately needs a force on the Dline. Geno may or may not be the long term answer but developing a later QB pick would be better than losing out on a superstar DT. Even if it's the 3rd pick and say Chicago takes Carter, Will Anderson as an edge rusher is still a far superior option. Seattle can then look at other needs with the later picks.
I like the UCLA kid as an option for a developmental QB. Agree with your assessment of your team needing DL and agree with your assessment of Carter. He reminds me a little bit of Warren Sapp. Short and compact but a sneaky 300 pounds to own the point of attack plus some fast twitch that projects to an above average pass rusher.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like QBs DL can be hard to hit on. Here is a grade on round one from mid season:

No. 1: Jacksonville Jaguars -- EDGE Travon Walker

Grade: D+

No. 2: Detroit Lions -- EDGE Aidan Hutchinson

Grade: C+

No. 5: New York Giants -- EDGE Kayvon Thibodeaux

Grade: B-

No. 13: Philadelphia Eagles -- DT Jordan Davis

No. 26: New York Jets -- EDGE Jermaine Johnson​

Grade: C

No. 28: Green Bay Packers -- DT Devonte Wyatt​

No. 30: Kansas City Chiefs -- EDGE George Karlaftis

Grade: C-

So 2 D's ( including the #1 over all pick)
4 C's ( including the #2 over all)
1 B
No A at all.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like QBs DL can be hard to hit on. Here is a grade on round one from mid season:

No. 1: Jacksonville Jaguars -- EDGE Travon Walker

No. 2: Detroit Lions -- EDGE Aidan Hutchinson

No. 5: New York Giants -- EDGE Kayvon Thibodeaux

Grade: B-

No. 13: Philadelphia Eagles -- DT Jordan Davis

No. 26: New York Jets -- EDGE Jermaine Johnson​

Grade: C

No. 28: Green Bay Packers -- DT Devonte Wyatt​

No. 30: Kansas City Chiefs -- EDGE George Karlaftis

Grade: C-

So 2 D's ( including the #1 over all pick)
4 C's ( including the #2 over all)
1 B

No A at all.

Aiden seems to be panning out but the other 2 are meh. Kayvon Is decent. Travon is having a busty first year.