• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Seahawk QB Dilemma?

returnofjakedog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
200w.gif
With a right handed QB, the LT has to protect the blindside and is therefore typically a better pass blocker. With a left handed QB, it is the opposite with the RT protecting the blindside.

Being that the Seahawks are currently developing the young OTs with a lefty behind them, I feel it might be advantageous to try to continue with another left handed QB if we are looking for a replacement.

Reactions: DJ

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With a right handed QB, the LT has to protect the blindside and is therefore typically a better pass blocker. With a left handed QB, it is the opposite with the RT protecting the blindside.

Being that the Seahawks are currently developing the young OTs with a lefty behind them, I feel it might be advantageous to try to continue with another left handed QB if we are looking for a replacement.

You know Geno Smith is not left handed, right?

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Without going into explicit detail:
*Sign Geno to a 2 to 4 year deal at $28 to 32 million a year, and frontload it so the team can have an out after 2 to 3 years if necessary.
*Use the franchise tag if necessary.

-Note that the further the team goes, the more Geno's price goes up. If there is a deep playoff run then he will be demanding $40 million or more.

*Look to find a QB with potential on the draft, and let him learn behind Geno for a year or two if necessary.

Now this sounds homerish, but after watching Penix at UW this year, I think he would be a perfect candidate:
-Has good arm strength and great touch.
-Good decision making.
-Left handed, like Geno. This is a factor because of how the young Seahawks OL, particularly the OTs, have played.
-Leads nation in passing while running a pro style offense (not the stat boosting Air Raid stuff).

Now Penix has just announced that he was returning to UW for his senior year as he is being projected as a 3rd rounder at best, but I think that is insane. He had outplayed and looked like a better pro prospect than many higher rated guys. I know he has had a couple of bad leg injuries but he has been healthy all this year.
But waiting another year still would work in this scenerio.
Penix would be great but since he's not entering the draft, he'll go early next draft and before Seahawks draft.

returnofjakedog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know Geno Smith is not left handed, right?
I swear that I've heard multiple sources say he was a lefty, but I see in the highlights that is not the case. It is a bit embarrassing since I obviously haven't been paying enough attention! (I'll cop out and try to blame the fact that I am currently on week 5 of long covid. It isn't a good excuse, but it's all I have).

Weirdly, I can't find any scouting reports or anything online that states one way or the other except this which does list him as a lefty, but appears to have other incorrect listings on it.

Anyways, apologies. I like Penix a bit less specifically for the Seahawks considering this, but I still think he is going to be a very good NFL QB if he can avoid injury.

Last edited:

returnofjakedog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Penix would be great but since he's not entering the draft, he'll go early next draft and before Seahawks draft.
Don't we have Denver's 1st next year also?

Also, the discussions were that he is coming back next year because he is graded between a late 2nd to 4th round (which seems baffling to me, considering how good he looks).

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't we have Denver's 1st next year also?

Also, the discussions were that he is coming back next year because he is graded between a late 2nd to 4th round (which seems baffling to me, considering how good he looks).
No we do not have Denver's first next year. We got their 2021 first and second and 2022 first and second. Yeah the media had Penix going after the first but this is early the draft board will be much different in May.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol! My ocd was kicking in.

Besides, since apparently I was incorrect on my own team's QB's dominant hand, so I have no room to throw stones.
It's all good. Don't know why my brain went I instead of E. I honestly know how to spell it, but obviously I didn't yesterday. If I could change that damn thing I would.

returnofjakedog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No we do not have Denver's first next year. We got their 2021 first and second and 2022 first and second. Yeah the media had Penix going after the first but this is early the draft board will be much different in May.
Got it!

I'll go back to ranking on DH on the Ukraine thread before I get anything else wrong here!

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we resign Geno to a 2-3 year contract. Hopefully the Denver pick turns into the #2. Then we trade it down a couple times until it is in the 20'ish range, and use the rest of the draft capital to get us a good solid defense for the future. Would be awesome to somehow get draft capital in the first round of the 2024 draft.
If Seattle sits at #2 and trades down, the FO will be getting or should be getting at least a minimum of 3 firsts.

Wolverine830872

2018 DCFFL Champion!
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Seattle sits at #2 and trades down, the FO will be getting or should be getting at least a minimum of 3 firsts.
depending on what the best first is, yeah. If they trade down only two spots, then I would expect the #5 + an additional first rounder + at least 1 second

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
depending on what the best first is, yeah. If they trade down only two spots, then I would expect the #5 + an additional first rounder + at least 1 second
And that's where the bidding war between 2 or 3 QB needy teams comes in. Moving up 2 spots could cost 2 firsts.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seahawks run defense when Car was trying to run out the clock yesterday made the Cowboys run defense look good...

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seahawks run defense when Car was trying to run out the clock yesterday made the Cowboys run defense look good...
Hawks run defense has given up 960 yards rushing in the last 5 games... I think it's safe to say we need to focus our draft picks on beefing up our DL... Offense is the least of our problems right now...

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hawks run defense has given up 960 yards rushing in the last 5 games... I think it's safe to say we need to focus our draft picks on beefing up our DL... Offense is the least of our problems right now...
I didn't realize that. I just happened to watch a good part of the end of the game and noticed it then

GhostOfPoverty

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I for one feel like I live in an alternate reality knowing that Geno Smith is finally gonna get that pay day he's been looking for since 2013.