• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Seahawk QB Dilemma?

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Geno Smith is playing lights out. However, due to the trade of Russell Wilson to the Broncos, the Hawks will have their highest draft pick in 26 years at #3 right now, and it is expected it won't get any better with their remaining schedule and having to play the Chiefs twice.

Is Geno Smith the answer and they go a top talent in the draft not a QB, or do you draft the QB of the future with Bryce Young or CJ Stroud and keep Geno around for one more year while the young buck gets acclimated to the NFL with a year on the bench?

What is the smartest play for the Hawks in this situation?

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Geno Smith is playing lights out. However, due to the trade of Russell Wilson to the Broncos, the Hawks will have their highest draft pick in 26 years at #3 right now, and it is expected it won't get any better with their remaining schedule and having to play the Chiefs twice.

Is Geno Smith the answer and they go a top talent in the draft not a QB, or do you draft the QB of the future with Bryce Young or CJ Stroud and keep Geno around for one more year while the young buck gets acclimated to the NFL with a year on the bench?

What is the smartest play for the Hawks in this situation?
Resign Geno... I don't want Young or Stroud... I definitely don't want Levis with pick #4 or #5... I would rather draft the Fresno St Quarterback, Jake Haener later in the draft with Denvers pick in the early 2nd round if available...

Draft DL with their pick... Right now it's #4, which would land Jalen Carter...

Best case scenerio for me? Resign Geno. Seahawks sit in front of Carolina who needs a QB... Indy/Atl wanting to leapfrog Carolina to draft Levis... We then accumulate a few more high picks and still draft DL, Bryan Bresee or DL, Myles Murphy if we trade down to #8 or #9 w/ Indy/ATL...

If we resigned Geno, we would probably end up cutting Shelby Harris and Q. Jefferson to free up 15 million to use towards Geno...

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think we will know what the smart play is until after the season. Lots of ifs and maybes in play. Personally, I don't like drafting QBs that high ever. 20% success rate isn't good and honestly, I think all these highly touted QBs are vastly over rated. If the teams above us draft QB, then why not grab Jalen Carter to bolster the defense? If he's gone (possibly Chicago), then why not Will Anderson to put across from Nwosu. I know lots of Seahawks fans are adamant we draft the "future franchise QB" but there is just as strong a likelihood, there is someone available later on that can eventually be that guy and have Geno as a bridge for the kid to learn under. I definitely don't want them drafting another undersized guy. I don't see any no brainer bona fide guy like an Andrew Luck but who knows.
Another possibility is trading down to somebody desperate for a a lower first and maybe another 2nd rounder. At any rate, the Seahawks need to have another good draft like this year and get this defense better.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Resign Geno... I don't want Young or Stroud... I definitely don't want Levis with pick #4 or #5... I would rather draft the Fresno St Quarterback, Jake Haener later in the draft with Denvers pick in the early 2nd round if available...

Draft DL with their pick... Right now it's #4, which would land Jalen Carter...

Best case scenerio for me? Resign Geno. Seahawks sit in front of Carolina who needs a QB... Indy/Atl wanting to leapfrog Carolina to draft Levis... We then accumulate a few more high picks and still draft DL, Bryan Bresee or DL, Myles Murphy if we trade down to #8 or #9 w/ Indy/ATL...

If we resigned Geno, we would probably end up cutting Shelby Harris and Q. Jefferson to free up 15 million to use towards Geno...
Nice! If you guys aren’t drafting QB there you’re a fool for not trading that pick. Teams are gonna be going beyond that Jimmy Johnson value chart they all use to overpay for the chance to move up in a QB draft. If the Seahawks don’t trade the pick and don’t take a QB that increases the haul the Eagles can get with the Saints pick because they’re an early pick that doesn’t go QB. Go with God young man and please Fuck this up royally so that my team benefits.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd imagine the pecking order is something like:

1) Young
1a) Stroud
3) Geno Smith
4) Levis

They could also have Levis higher but I think every GM takes the higher pedigree guys on a rookie QB contract every time

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

1) Young
1a) Stroud
3) Geno Smith
4) Levis

They could also have Levis higher than Geno Smith but I think every GM takes the higher pedigree guys on a rookie QB contract every time
Levis needs to send Josh Allen a Christmas Card. He’s not good at actually playing the game of football. But he’s a great big specimen that these guys all go gaga over. He has Regret written all over him. People think he’s going to be the next marginal football player with big tools that will become the next Allen.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sucks for Geno, because he deserves that job after how he has played, but you need to go QB there. Only chance for Geno is if they both sign him and draft a QB IMO

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think we will know what the smart play is until after the season. Lots of ifs and maybes in play. Personally, I don't like drafting QBs that high ever. 20% success rate isn't good and honestly, I think all these highly touted QBs are vastly over rated. If the teams above us draft QB, then why not grab Jalen Carter to bolster the defense? If he's gone (possibly Chicago), then why not Will Anderson to put across from Nwosu. I know lots of Seahawks fans are adamant we draft the "future franchise QB" but there is just as strong a likelihood, there is someone available later on that can eventually be that guy and have Geno as a bridge for the kid to learn under. I definitely don't want them drafting another undersized guy. I don't see any no brainer bona fide guy like an Andrew Luck but who knows.
Another possibility is trading down to somebody desperate for a a lower first and maybe another 2nd rounder. At any rate, the Seahawks need to have another good draft like this year and get this defense better.

Agree 100%... Check the history of our first round QB selections:
  • #6 - Kelly Stauffer
  • #16 - Dan McGwire
  • #2 - Rick Mirer
All 3 were busts... The only good thing we got from Mirer were draft picks by sending him to Chicago...

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sucks for Geno, because he deserves that job after how he has played, but you need to go QB there. Only chance for Geno is if they both sign him and draft a QB IMO
I don't believe you have to take one in the top 5 overall picks... Do you really trust a Ohio St QB translating to the next level? Also, I don't want K. Murry 2.0 in Young either... Levis is the next Dan McGwire imo...

But I agree with you... Geno has played himself into a contract...

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Levis needs to send Josh Allen a Christmas Card. He’s not good at actually playing the game of football. But he’s a great big specimen that these guys all go gaga over. He has Regret written all over him. People think he’s going to be the next marginal football player with big tools that will become the next Allen.
Yeah, historically the 'great big specimen' QBs dont generally work out.

These guys have 10 years advantage against Geno Smith, though, on top of a rookie QB contract advantage. The only way Seattle picks Geno Smith is if he beats either San Fran, Philly or Dallas in the playoffs. At that point, Seattle probably takes Will Anderson but I do think that is the level Geno Smith needs to hit to justify missing out of all of the advantages of drafting a rookie.

Wolverine830872

2018 DCFFL Champion!
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we resign Geno to a 2-3 year contract. Hopefully the Denver pick turns into the #2. Then we trade it down a couple times until it is in the 20'ish range, and use the rest of the draft capital to get us a good solid defense for the future. Would be awesome to somehow get draft capital in the first round of the 2024 draft.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

1) Young
1a) Stroud
3) Geno Smith
4) Levis

They could also have Levis higher but I think every GM takes the higher pedigree guys on a rookie QB contract every time
I think the Texans will take Young. Then it all depends on who has #2. If it's Chicago, it won't be QB. If it's Carolina, it will be. Chicago could also trade down because they need more than one player, I think. Personally, I'm not sold on Stroud even though everybody talks him up. And I won't be surprised if Levis is another Sam Darnold, tbh. To me, it's not a matter of whether Geno is better or costs more than this guy or that guy. Seattle's offense, when healthy is plenty good enough. Getting a game wrecker and filling the weak spots on the defense can make them really tough to deal with for a few years. Also can look at bolstering the interior Oline which is another weak spot.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Texans will take Young. Then it all depends on who has #2. If it's Chicago, it won't be QB. If it's Carolina, it will be. Chicago could also trade down because they need more than one player, I think. Personally, I'm not sold on Stroud even though everybody talks him up. And I won't be surprised if Levis is another Sam Darnold, tbh. To me, it's not a matter of whether Geno is better or costs more than this guy or that guy. Seattle's offense, when healthy is plenty good enough. Getting a game wrecker and filling the weak spots on the defense can make them really tough to deal with for a few years. Also can look at bolstering the interior Oline which is another weak spot.
Chicago seems like a classic 'trade down' type of move if they get #2. Houston and Carolina almost certainly will take a QB if there. Seattle it comes down to the actual evaluation of the QB Id imagine.

I will say that if Geno Smith was 27 and not 32 then I dont think this would be a conversation.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hand has been dealt, Smith at 3 years for 95m with 50 Guaranteed and draft a QB within the first 40 selections

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, historically the 'great big specimen' QBs dont generally work out.

These guys have 10 years advantage against Geno Smith, though, on top of a rookie QB contract advantage. The only way Seattle picks Geno Smith is if he beats either San Fran, Philly or Dallas in the playoffs. At that point, Seattle probably takes Will Anderson but I do think that is the level Geno Smith needs to hit to justify missing out of all of the advantages of drafting a rookie.
I like the way some of these other guys are talking. Don’t fall in love with the prospects everybody likes. Grab a developmental QB in the 2-3-4 that can sit and learn while they maximize the next two years out of Geno.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chicago seems like a classic 'trade down' type of move if they get #2. Houston and Carolina almost certainly will take a QB if there. Seattle it comes down to the actual evaluation of the QB Id imagine.

I will say that if Geno Smith was 27 and not 32 then I dont think this would be a conversation.
I agree @Clayton . Geno being 32 and such a late bloomer is the only reason this is a talking point. I do think Seattle can get a QB later on in the first or better yet a second rounder that will be the guy in a couple years. Nothing wrong with having Geno be like Alex Smith was for you guys while the kid learns. The other thing about drafting a QB later is there is less pressure to play him right away. The team can be built properly for when the kid is truly ready.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think whats playing in the Seahawks favor is I dont see a super robust market for Geno. Not the same situation as Jimmy and the Niners but basically the player is more valuable and likely more productive there then playing anywhere else.

I personally hope they use Denvers pick for something else, they need DL help incredibly bad. Maybe with their own first or the Denver 2 they can go QB if things fall their way.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
100%, I think the ideal scenario is for Geno to stay 1-2 more years while they find the next guy. That seemed like the original plan when they didnt choose to trade or sign for anyone else this offseason

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we resign Geno to a 2-3 year contract. Hopefully the Denver pick turns into the #2. Then we trade it down a couple times until it is in the 20'ish range, and use the rest of the draft capital to get us a good solid defense for the future. Would be awesome to somehow get draft capital in the first round of the 2024 draft.
I'd prefer they not pass on Anderson or Carter if they have the chance. This defense is severely lacking blue chip talent and you cant just assume you can hit on those with later picks

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think whats playing in the Seahawks favor is I dont see a super robust market for Geno. Not the same situation as Jimmy and the Niners but basically the player is more valuable and likely more productive there then playing anywhere else.

I personally hope they use Denvers pick for something else, they need DL help incredibly bad. Maybe with their own first or the Denver 2 they can go QB if things fall their way.
A bargain for a starting veteran QB these days is 25-30 million a year. Seahawks will have to come with something like that. It’s the most valued position in pro sports (arguably) and truth be told there’s only about 10-12 really good ones at any given time and then a whole bunch of projections. Geno will cash in on what he’s done.