• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Seahawk QB Dilemma?

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Draft a QB with the pick, Geno or no Geno. Folks talk about the bust rate.....do they think that improves if you use a later pick for Gods sake!
No sure bet ( and sure bets do fail) at QB but I see at least 4 that are worth taking a gamble. Folks act like it's only the QB position that bust in the first, any position has lots of busts. I'm sort of on an island with my thinking most want to draft defense because ....well we need some upgrades on defense but the Seahawks have plenty of draft capital to address that AFTER drafting a hopeful franchise QB. It's beyond stupid and short sighted to waste an opportunity like this to address the QB position.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree @Clayton . Geno being 32 and such a late bloomer is the only reason this is a talking point. I do think Seattle can get a QB later on in the first or better yet a second rounder that will be the guy in a couple years. Nothing wrong with having Geno be like Alex Smith was for you guys while the kid learns. The other thing about drafting a QB later is there is less pressure to play him right away. The team can be built properly for when the kid is truly ready.
Generally what Ive noticed with later round QBs is that if they're any good then they just generally beat out the starter. I generally dont think teams should want to be in an Alex Smith type of situation. I think the only way you guys go with Geno Smith is if its a Rich Gannon situation. The 'hey, this guy is way too good to just let him walk'

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Draft a QB with the pick, Geno or no Geno. Folks talk about the bust rate.....do they think that improves if you use a later pick for Gods sake!
No sure bet ( and sure bets do fail) at QB but I see at least 4 that are worth taking a gamble. Folks act like it's only the QB position that bust in the first, any position has lots of busts. I'm sort of on an island with my thinking most want to draft defense because ....well we need some upgrades on defense but the Seahawks have plenty of draft capital to address that AFTER drafting a hopeful franchise QB. It's beyond stupid and short sighted to waste an opportunity like this to address the QB position.
Difference is, we already have a QB who has lead an offense that has basically carried our team this year so far... If we had a good defense and DL and a bad offense, then I would certainly go with the QB but the cupboard is definitely bare on the defensive side of the ball right now... That's why I feel that side of the ball is the priority at this time... We need LB, DB, Safety, DT, DE help... No picks are a guarantee success... If there was a Peyton Manning, J. Burrows sitting there for us to take, i'd rather go that way but I'm not really hot and heavy with the top QB's as you are...

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Difference is, we already have a QB who has lead an offense that has basically carried our team this year so far... If we had a good defense and DL and a bad offense, then I would certainly go with the QB but the cupboard is definitely bare on the defensive side of the ball right now... That's why I feel that side of the ball is the priority at this time... We need LB, DB, Safety, DT, DE help... No picks are a guarantee success... If there was a Peyton Manning, J. Burrows sitting there for us to take, i'd rather go that way but I'm not really hot and heavy with the top QB's as you are...
As I mentioned there is plenty of draft capital after the early pick to address the defense. Geno is a FA and come draft time likely still is. So
you want the Seahawks to get leveraged into some big money? Besides your going off-recency bias, nobody thought highly of Geno this offseason and most Seahawk fans were rooting for Lock to win the starting job. Low expectations are the real reason Geno is such a surprise and I for one don't want to bank on a repeat season from Geno, sign him if the money is right but draft that QB with that early pick because the Seahawks likely won't have that kind of chance for many years. Geno stats are padded because the Seahawks are forced to throw, frankly, his play really isn't top-notch, he has been really lucky with interceptions getting dropped.
Wasting an opportunity to address the QB position with a cost-effective rookie with franchise-type potential is crazy. Speaking for myself I'll be very unhappy with the Seahawks if they follow the fans advice and skip taking a QB first chance

Last edited:

Wolverine830872

2018 DCFFL Champion!
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd prefer they not pass on Anderson or Carter if they have the chance. This defense is severely lacking blue chip talent and you cant just assume you can hit on those with later picks
true, but what if we trade a #2 for a #4 or #5 + another 1st rounder this year and a 2024 first rounder?

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Love how well Geno is playing this year . So happy for him. but this will IMO be his best year ever. Don’t ask me to prove it, I can’t. He’s been really good. But Don’t make the mistake of tying yourself to Geno for years if an alternative option presents itself. You only Get so many shots at a top 3ish pick. Giving Geno a big long term deal would be a huge mistake IMO even in this age of $40M plus QBs and knowing he won’t get near that. if he wins a playoff game I may change my mind but I don’t think so. I don’t think Seattle has beaten anyone that will end the year with a winning record other than the chargers (Yes I know they beat the Giants). I think if you look back at this in 2 years and you gave Geno $30M per for more than one year you won’t be happy

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no matter what happens with Geno.
You draft the QB that the FO likes.
He is a 32 yr old Journeyman. Which would be a real big risk as a long term option.
If anything reward him with a fran tag give him a payday that you guys can walk away from if you hit on rookie QB who hopefully you let sit a year behind him.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one is looking at signing Geno for more than 3 years… that wouldn’t be a long term option

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have to evaluate the QB's in the draft. If you think there's a franchise QB and he's there in the top 5, you pull the trigger. If not, re-sign Smith. The nice thing is they aren't in a position of desperation. They don't have t to galaxy brain themselves into thinking the next Zach Wilson is actually a guy who can be an MVP contender in the future.

Forcing one situation or the other is really the only way to jeopardize the Seahawks future per se, imo. I suspect they'll re-sign Geno. Cash is low risk compared to a draft pick. Even if the name attached is "Geno Smith."

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Resign Geno... I don't want Young or Stroud... I definitely don't want Levis with pick #4 or #5... I would rather draft the Fresno St Quarterback, Jake Haener later in the draft with Denvers pick in the early 2nd round if available...

Draft DL with their pick... Right now it's #4, which would land Jalen Carter...

Best case scenerio for me? Resign Geno. Seahawks sit in front of Carolina who needs a QB... Indy/Atl wanting to leapfrog Carolina to draft Levis... We then accumulate a few more high picks and still draft DL, Bryan Bresee or DL, Myles Murphy if we trade down to #8 or #9 w/ Indy/ATL...

If we resigned Geno, we would probably end up cutting Shelby Harris and Q. Jefferson to free up 15 million to use towards Geno...

Or Murphy/Breeze/ Anderson

But I agree. Might be best waiting till the 2nd day to grab a QB.

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have to evaluate the QB's in the draft. If you think there's a franchise QB and he's there in the top 5, you pull the trigger. If not, re-sign Smith. The nice thing is they aren't in a position of desperation. They don't have t to galaxy brain themselves into thinking the next Zach Wilson is actually a guy who can be an MVP contender in the future.

Forcing one situation or the other is really the only way to jeopardize the Seahawks future per se, imo. I suspect they'll re-sign Geno. Cash is low risk compared to a draft pick. Even if the name attached is "Geno Smith."

But it is a thing of what's more important.

If you look at the past 3 games. The run game has burned our defense. Having someone like Breeze/Carter/Murphy can seriously help this.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

A lot of people were really high on Zach Wilson. Chris Simms had him as QB1. The draft is a diceroll.

returnofjakedog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Without going into explicit detail:
*Sign Geno to a 2 to 4 year deal at $28 to 32 million a year, and frontload it so the team can have an out after 2 to 3 years if necessary.
*Use the franchise tag if necessary.

-Note that the further the team goes, the more Geno's price goes up. If there is a deep playoff run then he will be demanding $40 million or more.

*Look to find a QB with potential on the draft, and let him learn behind Geno for a year or two if necessary.

Now this sounds homerish, but after watching Penix at UW this year, I think he would be a perfect candidate:
-Has good arm strength and great touch.
-Good decision making.
-Left handed, like Geno. This is a factor because of how the young Seahawks OL, particularly the OTs, have played.
-Leads nation in passing while running a pro style offense (not the stat boosting Air Raid stuff).

Now Penix has just announced that he was returning to UW for his senior year as he is being projected as a 3rd rounder at best, but I think that is insane. He had outplayed and looked like a better pro prospect than many higher rated guys. I know he has had a couple of bad leg injuries but he has been healthy all this year.
But waiting another year still would work in this scenerio.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Levis needs to send Josh Allen a Christmas Card. He’s not good at actually playing the game of football. But he’s a great big specimen that these guys all go gaga over. He has Regret written all over him. People think he’s going to be the next marginal football player with big tools that will become the next Allen.

It's foolish to look for the next Allen really. Who was the previous Allen? Maybe Cam?

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hand has been dealt, Smith at 3 years for 95m with 50 Guaranteed and draft a QB within the first 40 selections

I think this is realistic. The chance at early draft picks for a franchise QB don't come often. Both Seattle and the Lions need to look beyond any success they may have had at QB this season and use this opportunity. Houston, Seattle, Detroit and Carolina should all be in the mix at QB IMO. Of course, if a needy team wants to move up offering a major package of picks, Seattle could take that and punt franchise QB to next year, but how long is Pete going to coach and will he want to wait around even longer for a new QB to take over?

Definitely interesting situation.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would rather trade down and wait for next year over taking a guy later in the draft. Get your guy instead of settling for leftovers.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Seattle is picking #3 or higher, you take Stroud, Anderson or Carter. I think after that there's a huge drop off of talent. I mean if Schneider really is THAT good of a scout and wanted Allen, Mahomes, and took Wilson (Wilson looks terrible now, but no question he put together 10 great seasons).... then fine.

But Anderson/Carter/Stroud are the elite players and Seattle could justify taking any of them. If they're drafting #4+ and those 3 are gone, trade down. I don't like Young or Levis at #4... and I think Stroud is far and away the best QB... not to mention Young has already taken a lot of sacks in College... he's the size of Kyler Murray... wont be long before he's getting injured... I don't want another midget QB and Alabama generally always has a stacked team.... I'm not a huge fan of drafting Bama players in general (although will make an exception with Anderson).

If 2 of the 3 are there and one of them is Stroud... I'd probably take Stroud honestly.... especially if Geno wants BIG money. You can find okay EDGE/DTs in free agency (although they are costly)... it's impossible to find good/young QBs and OTs (ones that have a track record of good health) in free agency. Even the Chiefs were willing to cut a stud wideout to keep their left tackle.

Last edited:

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously the Seahawks will take stock at the end of the season. They'll figure out a number for what Smith is worth to the team and they'll evaluate all the other options, both draftees and FAs. Smith will also take stock, and there's no reason for him to settle for less than the best FA offer. He's going to want a multiple year contract with a minimum of 2 years guaranteed. That will probably mean a contract for 3 years or more so given his age this would likely be his 1st and last chance of a big payday. If the Seahawks want to retain him they'll either have to tag him in February or offer him a full market value deal. That will probably be more than they think Smith is worth to them so I don't think the Seahawks will do that. I see the Seahawks trying to get the rookie they want and if they can't get whomever that is they'll trade down. They weren't scared to go with a $3.5M back-up behind center this year. No reason to be scared next year.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
how long is Pete going to coach and will he want to wait around even longer for a new QB to take over?

Definitely interesting situation.
IMO it is SB or bust over the next two years, which makes me think QB is not going to be a consideration. Sign Geno, go all in on D and grab a WR and RB for the offense in the draft.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
-Left handed, like Geno. This is a factor because of how the young Seahawks OL, particularly the OTs, have played.

200w.gif