• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

San Diego Week!

DownSetHutch

d-_-b
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel pretty good about the Broncos' chances tomorrow. Having said that, however, there are two things that concern me: 1) The Chargers have played us tough for years now, and 2) Philip Rivers can get hot and put the ball on a dime, and seems to do that against us and in big games.

Getting pressure on Rivers is going to be the biggest key to winning this game, IMO. If he gets sacked at least twice and feels the pressure throughout the game, I don't think the Chargers have much of a chance. That's a big if though.

Offensively, we have shown that we can run the ball, and of course we know we can pass the ball. It seems to me that the best approach to this game will be to take what the defense gives us. If we run to open up the pass, or pass to open up the run, it will be fine either way. I'm not too worried about trying to get the passing game rejuvenated. It will come if teams stack the box against the run. Fortunately, we have perhaps the greatest QB of all time at audibling, so hopefully Manning will be able to get us into the best position to run successful plays.

As a resident of San Diego, I will say that the Charger fans I have been around aren't doing a whole lot of chirping lately. That would be sure to change if the Chargers were to win tomorrow though, lol.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Amazing how quickly people can start chirping after a win or two. Heck on these very boards just a couple of weeks ago Seattle fans were pretty silent. After a couple of nice outings by their defense they are talking Super Bowl again. I could see that if San Diego wins seeing some of those fans get pretty crazy. I remember all too well in the mid 2000's when San Diego was starting to look a little bit better how many just came out of nowhere talking crap left and right.

Anyway I agree DownSetHutch...Take what the defense gives us. I was listening to some Bronco radio this morning and they kept asking the question of "What does Peyton have to prove to you this week to give you confidence heading into the playoffs?" All I kept thinking is he has had a few bad weeks here and people are already losing confidence in Peyton like that? I know I had a couple of days of questioning a little on Peyton but the more I think about it this is PFM we are talking about. Just a few weeks ago this guy was in a tight race for the MVP. I don't think he all of a sudden just fell of the face of the planet. So to me Peyton has nothing to prove in this game. Just continue to like you said take what the defense gives us and if we do that then my guess is this offense will continue to be explosive.

I would say one area I have a lot more confidence in this week than probably any other time in the year for our team is in the Red Zone offense. The one area we have really missed Julius is in the Red Zone so getting him back this week should be huge. Throw in our run game having 3 goal line touchdowns last week makes this group that much more dangerous to score any way they want around the end zone. I think it was important honestly for us to show we can score running the ball as well to make teams have to respect that part of our offense around the goal line.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also Broncos did make some roster moves this week. Unfortunately 2 players were stuck on IR in Montee Ball (probably should have done this a while ago) and Quinton Carter. Ball has had unfortunately a tough year with injuries. He never quite got the chance to build off his promising rookie season. I for one still have hope in him coming back next season giving us a great 1-2 punch with Anderson. Heck the RB position next year might end up being one of the most competitive of all camp. Carter is a tough one to lose with our Safety position only having 4 players anyway and one of them mostly a special teams guy in Bruton. I will say though that Bruton's play last week makes me a little more comfortable with Carter going to the IR. He played lights out for us. Throw in Trevathan is back which should move Ward more back to a traditional safety role in this defense.

Which that last sentence is the best part of this week in Trevathan is good to go! They are going to have him on a pitch count as he works himself back into full game conditioning but the great thing is he should be a full go by playoffs.

The final move the Broncos made was bringing up Dominque Jones from the PS. He is a TE that has bounced around the league but is more known as a blocking TE than a receiving TE so he could be a part of our big packages with Cornick out this week. Jones' playing time though will be determined by if Tamme can go this week with his rib injuries. To me I would much rather have Tamme just sit out a week and heal up. I do think his fumble had a lot to do with him guarding those ribs than anything else. That was actually his first fumble ever in his NFL career if you can believe that. Not just first fumble lost but first fumble ever. So again I think his ribs are pretty bad off.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Going to have quite a few posts here as can't sleep (bit of an insomniac) and won't be able to be on here during the game so just getting some of my thoughts and interesting stats out there...
So here are some stats

The Broncos have earned 182.7 rush yards per game over the last 3 contests. The Chargers have allowed 100 plus rushing yards in 6 of the last 8 games. (Big reason why I don't see Peyton having to have a big game and just continue to rely on our run game to win it for us)

Peyton has thrown for fewer than 300-yards in 3 straight games. San Diego has allowed 300-plus passing yards in just 3 of 13 games this season.

The Broncos have 7 takeaways in the last 3 games. The Chargers have 12 giveaways in the last 6 games.

San Diego has 5 rushing TD's this season (T-30th in the NFL). Denver has allowed just 3 rushing TD's in the last 9 games. (looks like Matthews will be a no go for this game or at least limited if he does play)

Rivers has been sacked 2-plus times in 7 straight games (18 total in that span). The Broncos have 14 sacks in the last 4 games. (Hoping the Broncos blitz early and often to get Rivers out of rhythm early on)

DownSetHutch

d-_-b
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree about the red zone offense. We're doing pretty well being able to punch it in on the ground, and now with Julius back in the mix, we will be that much harder to stop near the goal line.

Bummer about Ball and Carter. We should be okay without them, but it would be nice to have them both for depth. RB and safety positions are really thin now.

As for the TO stats, I hope the trends keep up, but for some reason, just like every other stat, I somehow don't see them coming into play for this game. Or at least, I don't feel like we can count on them. Some TOs would be nice though. If we win the TO battle, I like our chances a lot. Trev with a pick?

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree about the red zone offense. We're doing pretty well being able to punch it in on the ground, and now with Julius back in the mix, we will be that much harder to stop near the goal line.

Bummer about Ball and Carter. We should be okay without them, but it would be nice to have them both for depth. RB and safety positions are really thin now.

As for the TO stats, I hope the trends keep up, but for some reason, just like every other stat, I somehow don't see them coming into play for this game. Or at least, I don't feel like we can count on them. Some TOs would be nice though. If we win the TO battle, I like our chances a lot. Trev with a pick?

It would be very fitting for his return to make a bit play. He was the one guy last year other than maybe Harris that we could count on to make a play when we needed one.

The TO's seem to be coming back to Denver as we have increased the pressure. We have more than doubled our percentage these last 3 games in how often we blitz. Next thing you know we have started actually getting turnovers. So to me I could see the turnovers continue. It is a matter though of whether our offense protects the ball or not as we have not been the best over these last few weeks with Peyton at the center of that. I guess if there is one thing Peyton needs to show me is that he can have a clean game with no fumbles or interceptions.

The RB position to me is an interesting one. We are getting Hillman back so that should help boost the depth a bit. It does seem though the RB position is a lot deeper than we first thought with Hillman, Thompson, and Anderson all showing they can do some pretty good things in the run game. So as long as those guys can all stay healthy I like our chances of the run game still doing well. Just can't lose another. Big reason why I am hoping in this one they give Thompson around 10 carries so that Anderson doesn't have to completely carry the load. He has some ankle issues and I would rather him be healthy for the playoffs than run him into the ground.

Safety depth though does have me worried. This leaves us with 3 healthy safeties and with how often we like to run 3 safety sets that leaves us pretty vulnerable at the position. I know Bolden has played the position some in the past but just have to cross our fingers that we don't lose another at this point.

I will say that as much as it stinks to lose these couple of guys we have definitely been pretty fortunate injury wise this year. The RB position has been hit pretty hard an the Linebacker position has been hit quite a bit but for the most part good to see our core players staying on the field. Hopefully that trend continues.

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We need to figure out this redzone bullshit. We're gonna get killed by teams in the playoffs if this continues.

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is ridiculous, our Offense just flat out sucks in the redzone.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Broncos are getting gifts today from the officials. If the SD defense touches a Bronc WR they get called for interference or illegal use of hands or holding. Keenan Allen got mauled in the end zone and nothing was called. I'm sorry but it's true.....

Hope Manning's thigh isn't serious.

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We don't deserve to win this game, this is fucking terrible play by our supposed high powered offense.

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
0 pressure on Defense, SD's starting to pick us apart.

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just don't give us a chance at the goal line, then we can score.

MileHigh64

Broncos Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,033.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Broncos are getting gifts today from the officials. If the SD defense touches a Bronc WR they get called for interference or illegal use of hands or holding. Keenan Allen got mauled in the end zone and nothing was called. I'm sorry but it's true.....

Hope Manning's thigh isn't serious.

BS. Bad calls go both ways. I hate it when fans speculate that the officials are giving a team the game. Denver has been dominating the line of scrimmage for most of the game. No need to panic. Peyton Manning has the flu and has a thigh injury as well. Our running game is churning out yards and we're leading on the road. The Broncos are duking it out in a tough game on the road with an opponent that is desperate.

Looks like the Chargers are about to score. C'mon defense! Good game!

MH64

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This defense is falling apart with no pass rush. I don't think we've even touched Rivers all game.

Last edited by a moderator:

MileHigh64

Broncos Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,033.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This defense is falling apart with no pass rush. I don't think we've even touched Rivers all game.

What are you talking about? This Broncos defense has held SD to 236 yards of total offense, while playing on the road. Pretty damn good, in my opinion and so far good enough to win a tough game. Go Broncos!

MH64

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What are you talking about? This Broncos defense has held SD to 236 yards of total offense, while playing on the road. Pretty damn good, in my opinion and so far good enough to win a tough game. Go Broncos!

MH64

And most of those yards have come in the 2nd half. Rivers was picking us apart because he are getting absolutely no pressure. The D shut them down in the entire first half but the lack of aggressiveness has given SD a chance.

The Offense once again not showing up to play coupled with the fact that the playcalling sucks on both sides of the ball has almost screwed us again.

Last edited by a moderator:

Malibu

PEACE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude for once settle down. You are worse then I am. This was the biggest win and most impressive win of the year. With Manning sick and banged up and other guys like Marshall, Trevathon, Clady, D.T., Talib, nd J.T. all banged up in and out of the game and to win and wrap up the division on the road against a good Charger team Broncos fans should be very impressed and happy. Barth was clutch on fg's and the special teams were great. T.J. Ward needs to step his game up in coverage and there needs to be less penalties but damn very impressed today. Go Broncos!!!