• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Saban to Texas --- $10 million/year

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They named Muschamp coach in waiting and I think he had no head coaching experience.
I think Texas will regret it if they don't look into Malzahn. Obviously they should go for Saban first, im just saying if they cant get Saban they should give Malzahn a serious look he is a hell of a coach.

Yeah, and you see how that worked out......Mack wasn't going to retire, so there was never a realistic shot that Muschamp would become HC. It was a ploy to get him to stay in his DC job.

I'll say it again......Texas is NEVER going to hand the keys to the program to a guy that's accomplished pretty much nothing as a HC. They want a PROVEN winner. It simply isn't going to happen.

Mistaken4193

REGISTERED GUMP!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 142.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, and you see how that worked out......Mack wasn't going to retire, so there was never a realistic shot that Muschamp would become HC. It was a ploy to get him to stay in his DC job.

I'll say it again......Texas is NEVER going to hand the keys to the program to a guy that's accomplished pretty much nothing as a HC. They want a PROVEN winner. It simply isn't going to happen.

Well who all is a candidate besides Saban? What about James Franklin?

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well who all is a candidate besides Saban? What about James Franklin?
If a Texas snags Malzahn then Franklin is my number one choice but he has to be able to lock down Craig and Gardner as coaches.

TexasMan

mfw reading SportsHoopla
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea the Muschamp "HCIW" was just a ploy to give him a bigger raise so he could stay as Texas' DC. He was never going to be the HC.

Mistaken4193

REGISTERED GUMP!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 142.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If a Texas snags Malzahn then Franklin is my number one choice but he has to be able to lock down Craig and Gardner as coaches.

Franklin I think is a top 10 coach in the country. To win 8 oor 9 games a year at Vandy in the SEC with the academic standards Vandy has is amazing. Im surprised no big school has tried to snatch him up yet.

Wild Turkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn if I didn't get an email from a pretty good source that is also saying Saban gone. Still don't believe it but holy crap it's getting weird.

Wild Turkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Franklin I think is a top 10 coach in the country. To win 8 oor 9 games a year at Vandy in the SEC with the academic standards Vandy has is amazing. Im surprised no big school has tried to snatch him up yet.
USC made a huge mistake Franklin was PERFECT for that job.

ElTexan

Board Chancellor Emeritus
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...and WE overpaid for a coach?

Yes. You paid $4/yr for a coach that was 3rd place in the division last year and 4th this year. He has beaten exactly ONE even decent team in 2 years of regular season play.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dropped a slightly viscous and somewhat fragrant deuce this morning...it signaled me with semaphore flags a message that stated Napoleon Nick was staying put and would get a tidy little raise from Tuscaloosa Chamber of Secrets.

It's going to really cut into player salaries. Fiats instead of Escalades. Men's Wearhouse instead of tailored jazz. Rough sleddin' in title town.

Dumoss, only the punter will fit in a Fiat!

They're getting Camrys.

BTHOtu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes. You paid $4/yr for a coach that was 3rd place in the division last year and 4th this year. He has beaten exactly ONE even decent team in 2 years of regular season play.

Which came in the SEC West. How many decent teams did Fran and Sherman beat the last ten years in the B12?
We beat OU and Nebraska when they were ranked in the top ten. That's pretty much it. Back then we were lucky to get above .500. Sumlin brought with him a huge culture change where the fan base now expects to win EVERY game and not just the one on Thanksgiving. Plus I'll take 3rd or 4th in the SEC West over 2nd-to-last in the B12 South which is where we spent the majority of the Fran/Sherman era. New Coach, New Facilities, New Stadium, New Conference, #4 Recruiting Class, Heisman Trophy, etc...Sumlin has this program headed in the right direction he's worth the money.

Saban for 10MM? Now that's a little overboard. No wonder we see you teasips as a bunch of spoiled rich kids.
You guys would be happy to take the face of your program, the guy that fixed all the damage that McWilliams and Macovic did to it. Played for the Big 12 Title almost every year, Played for a few BCS Bowls and two BCS National Championship and has had a winning record the last two seasons and force him out in an attempt to buy another Crystal Ball.:clap: I bet if Mack stays you sips would be in the playoffs if not the NCG within the next couple of years. You'd be there this year if not for a shitty DC and inconsistent QB's.

tabascojet

king of cake
Hoopla Cash
$ 554,070.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
10 million a year for a football coach?? wtf. glad this country has its priorities straight.

sakau2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Do you have any idea what's going on with aTm's football program financially? If you did, you would know Sumlin is a bargain.

If we are just talking about wins and losses... if Sumlin has been overpaid these last 2 years, what would you call Mack Brown?

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
-
I am not convinced on Franklin. The results are fantastic. I can not argue on that front, but I question how he is doing it. I do see a nice bump in recruiting. I just dont see any schematic reason. Seems like a lot of recruiting and rah, rah type stuff. I am not sure how that projects going forward. Saban and Malzahn are easier to evaluate. You bring in Malzahn and you grill him for 2 yrs on what are his defensive plans.

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you have any idea what's going on with aTm's football program financially? If you did, you would know Sumlin is a bargain.

If we are just talking about wins and losses... if Sumlin has been overpaid these last 2 years, what would you call Mack Brown?
A coach that is 3-1 in BCS games with a crystal ball to boot.

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
-
I am not convinced on Franklin. The results are fantastic. I can not argue on that front, but I question how he is doing it. I do see a nice bump in recruiting. I just dont see any schematic reason. Seems like a lot of recruiting and rah, rah type stuff. I am not sure how that projects going forward. Saban and Malzahn are easier to evaluate. You bring in Malzahn and you grill him for 2 yrs on what are his defensive plans.

No way would Texas go out on a limb with Franklin.

The Texas Post-season Awards Banquet is on Dec 13. Don't expect an announcement concerning Mack's job status until after that night. If he's leaving, he deserves to tell his players first.

I've thought about it. Since recruits will be attending, a new coach could be announced prior to the Banquet.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My sources (former Alabama player and family friend of the Sabans, as well as another man close to the program) tell me it's a done deal. Expect to hear something official in the next few weeks.

Just stop:L

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Joe Schad reports?