• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Russell Wilson: Blame me, I made the throw

BoBlake

Hoopla Cash
$ 937.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lynch was 6 of 15 from 5 yards out all season.

Hardly a sure thing.

He was 1 of 5 on the 1 yard line this season too.

Now, if Seattle ran Lynch twice and he was stuffed both times and they lost the game, I'm sure everyone would be perfectly ok with not calling a pass.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was 1 of 5 on the 1 yard line this season too.

Now, if Seattle ran Lynch twice and he was stuffed both times and they lost the game, I'm sure everyone would be perfectly ok with not calling a pass.

Exactly. Then we would hear about how Bevell wasn't able to adjust to the situation and utterly failed as an OC.

For some people, it is just easier to blame the coach rather than accept that their team was outplayed. And honestly the Pats outplayed the Seahawks on that play.

And while I don't love that Bevell called out Lockette, I really fault Lockette the most. His hands should have been in front of his body so he was at least the first to the ball.

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why is it so hard for ppl to understand this simple fact. If you run on 2nd and fail, use time out, the entire universe knows you have to throw on 3rd. The defense knowing what you're going to do is not a good situation to be in. Throwing on 2nd is the right call in that situation.

Sure...but not the pass play that was run. You want Wilson rolling out with the pass/run/throw it away option. Also...if they indeed wanted to just run Lynch, they could have made the decision to not run the play clock down as much as they did.

ElTexan

Board Chancellor Emeritus
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I can't believe there are so many people saying they should run twice and risk leaving 4th down unused. Can you imagine the utter stupidity of that? Yet, a big percentage of posters are calling for that. Geniuses.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I can't believe there are so many people saying they should run twice and risk leaving 4th down unused. Can you imagine the utter stupidity of that? Yet, a big percentage of posters are calling for that. Geniuses.

27 secs when they snapped the 2nd down play...if you run it and don't get it, you burn the final TO...now you have about 19 or 20 sec left with no TOs...3rd down, you can probably run it once more, but if you don't get it, you're screwed because you can't clock it.

I can see running on 2nd down, but you are in pass only mode after that.

ElTexan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
27 secs when they snapped the 2nd down play...if you run it and don't get it, you burn the final TO...now you have about 19 or 20 sec left with no TOs...3rd down, you can probably run it once more, but if you don't get it, you're screwed because you can't clock it.

I can see running on 2nd down, but you are in pass only mode after that.

Exactly. That's worse than throwing on 2nd down.

That's why throwing on 2nd is the right call no matter what "everyone" or "experts" are saying.

There's about 10% of people saying run him twice. Idiots

Almost everyone else is saying Dumbest Call Ever for not running Lynch on 2nd.

There's only five people saying throwing on 2nd is the best call: me, Carroll, the OC, and a couple of Hawks fans here who can think past the pain.

ElTexan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not that matters, but ball was snapped as the clock went from 26 to 25.

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's only five people saying throwing on 2nd is the best call: me, Carroll, the OC, and a couple of Hawks fans here who can think past the pain.

If what you mean is there are 5 people who think running the slant in that particular situation was the best call...I agree with you. I am absolutely, without a doubt...not one of those 5 people.

ElTexan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If what you mean is there are 5 people who think running the slant in that particular situation was the best call...I agree with you. I am absolutely, without a doubt...not one of those 5 people.

No. It turns out I meant exactly what I wrote.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's why throwing on 2nd is the right call no matter what "everyone" or "experts" are saying.

only if you throw the slant
The best call if you pass was play action followed by a roll out.
why they didn't play action in that defensive alignment is a huge mystery.

Now me? I put in the jumbo package and run the ball two times. Be who you are and dare um to stop it twice. Forget 4th down...play to win the ball game with WHO BRUNG YA!

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Before the game was even played I don't know how many people said they expected a very close game and it could come down to the very last play or someone making a mistake. So I'm not sure why there is all this debate about that last call. It pretty much played out like everyone thought it would.

ElTexan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then you are off-base.

How am I off base saying throwing in 2nd is the better option to use all four downs and keep the D guessing:

26 seconds, 1 time out, 2nd down. There are three options:

A. Run Lynch twice and not even worry about running a play on a 4th down... a 4th down you'll never see because of time. We call this option the DUMB option.

B. Run Lynch on 2nd down, call Time Out, and then the Defense knows that you have to Pass on 3rd.

C. Throw on 2nd which saves Time Out and keeps options open on 3rd [run or pass].

=====================

C. is the best option, which is what Carroll did.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Bottomline imo...you really only have one shot to run it and that was 2nd down...that was a run or pass down b/c of the TO...but a with pass, you just about assured of getting off 3 plays. The people saying run it 3 times are not grasping the clock situation that well.

Number7

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do think throwing it in that situation was the right call. I think the mismanagement of the timeouts was worse and put them in a situation where they had to pass there though.

ElTexan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do think throwing it in that situation was the right call. I think the mismanagement of the timeouts was worse and put them in a situation where they had to pass there though.

Sure, but as you said, throwing is not a bad call in that situation.

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How am I off base saying throwing in 2nd is the better option to use all four downs and keep the D guessing:

26 seconds, 1 time out, 2nd down. There are three options:

A. Run Lynch twice and not even worry about running a play on a 4th down... a 4th down you'll never see because of time. We call this option the DUMB option.

B. Run Lynch on 2nd down, call Time Out, and then the Defense knows that you have to Pass on 3rd.

C. Throw on 2nd which saves Time Out and keeps options open on 3rd [run or pass].

=====================

C. is the best option, which is what Carroll did.

You are off base saying there are only 5 people who think calling pass there was a mistake. It was the type of pass play that was the huge mistake. They completely went away from every strength Wilson has. You roll him out in that situation and give him options (the worst one being throwing it away).

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There were some poor coaching decisions.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If you look at the photo posted of the pre-snap read, I'm really not sure that I agree with this anymore.

There were 2 people off the line. Butler and I think Nikovich. Nikovich was responsible for Lynch. That means that it was a one on one situation with Lockette and Butler. Butler made a great read and jumped the route and, IMO, Lockette screwed up by not getting his hands out in front. Had Kearse got off the line on Browner it probably wouldn't have matter as Lockette would have been wide open because Kearse would have rubbed Butler off the play.