• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Russell Wilson: Blame me, I made the throw

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The throw was right on the money......

It was just a great play made on Defense.

On the money would be a place where the defense can't make an incredible play.

On 2nd down, on the money should have been 5 rows up.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The throw was a little off target and Butler made a great play. Butler's play was greater than the play call was stupid.

I thought the throw was exactly where you want it...slightly leading, but Butler anticipated it well and didn't have to worry about PI because they were within the 5 yd chuck range.

The throw was ill fated, but it wasn't a bad pass imo...as many have said, a different, safer route should have been the call, and think you can say that even if he had made the catch and scored.

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The throw was right on the money......

It was just a great play made on Defense.

Completely disagree. That throw needed to be low and taking the WR to the ground. If the WR doesn't catch it, it hits the ground.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Completely disagree. That throw needed to be low and taking the WR to the ground. If the WR doesn't catch it, it hits the ground.

I hear ya on the point about throwing it low, but he still needed to lead him a bit...it was a good ball...if anything he telegraphed it, and it gave Butler the half step he needed to cut in front. Hard to look off a quick slant though.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Russell Wilson is the most likeable guys in all of football but that pass was not perfect.
The play call remains the worst part but the execution for the situation was poor all the way around

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Russell Wilson is the most likeable guys in all of football but that pass was not perfect.
The play call remains the worst part but the execution for the situation was poor all the way around

After watching it now a few times, you guys are right, pass was a little high

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After watching it now a few times, you guys are right, pass was a little high

I still think the greatest thing about that play was the break on the ball by the DB and holding on to the football. Great, great play moreso than a bad throw or route

The PK

Capo Di Tutti Capi
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wilsonwater.gif

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe a tad...but at 5'10" or whatever...just to get it over the lineman he's gotta throw a little high.

When you throw it that high with that many defenders around...it's most likely not going to end well. Let's say the DB didn't get as great a jump on it, he still would have most likely hit the WR hard as the ball was arriving (which could have resulted in the ball being dislodged...maybe even popping straight up in the air). If that ball was low (even behind him a bit) the defender would most likely have to go threw the WR to make a play which would draw the flag. Worst case...it's incomplete. If Wilson didn't have a lane to throw it low...that ball should have been in the 3rd row of seats behind the end zone. I understand Wilson is short...which then brings things full circle back to the play call.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When you throw it that high with that many defenders around...it's most likely not going to end well. Let's say the DB didn't get as great a jump on it, he still would have most likely hit the WR hard as the ball was arriving (which could have resulted in the ball being dislodged...maybe even popping straight up in the air). If that ball was low (even behind him a bit) the defender would most likely have to go threw the WR to make a play which would draw the flag. Worst case...it's incomplete. If Wilson didn't have a lane to throw it low...that ball should have been in the 3rd row of seats behind the end zone. I understand Wilson is short...which then brings things full circle back to the play call.

Good points...I thought it was a catchable ball as it was thrown, but lower was definitely safer...I thought the DEF play is not getting the credit it deserves...how often do you see a quick slanted picked? He saw it coming and trusted what he saw...made the play.

Point in bold...at the end of the day...that's it. Even it he caught it for 6...it was not the pattern to run in that situation.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is what I have been saying in the decision to pass was not a bad decision. Maybe not the best decision but passing should not be the issue. The issue in my opinion is the decision to throw the ball over the middle where lots of worst case scenarios come more into play. With Wilson's height the quick slant is his worst passing route. His height does have some limitations on his ability so then asking him to make a throw on his weakest part of his game just doesn't make any sense. Getting him moving out of the pocket where he can use both his arm and legs and not have to worry about throwing over the OL/DL gives them plenty more opportunities to score. Essentially the Seahawks took away their greatest weapon in Wilson being able to use both his arm and legs and limiting him to being a pocket passer in the biggest moment of the season where his legs were a big reason they made it to where they did.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PFF reviews the play...

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/02/02/analysis-notebook-super-bowl-xlix-that-play/

Taking a look at the situation pre-snap..

ANSB1-1024x593.jpg

I have a hard time arguing that passing was a bad idea. The writer also notes that this play wasn't so much a bad play by the Seahawks as much as a tremendous play by Butler who guessed right. Had Lockette done a hitch out he would have been wide open.

Furthermore, Browner made a heck of a chip on Kearse.

The more I think about it the more I just want to tip my cap the Pats defense and Butler in particular.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PFF reviews the play...

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/02/02/analysis-notebook-super-bowl-xlix-that-play/

Taking a look at the situation pre-snap..

ANSB1-1024x593.jpg

I have a hard time arguing that passing was a bad idea. The writer also notes that this play wasn't so much a bad play by the Seahawks as much as a tremendous play by Butler who guessed right. Had Lockette done a hitch out he would have been wide open.

Furthermore, Browner made a heck of a chip on Kearse.

The more I think about it the more I just want to tip my cap the Pats defense and Butler in particular.

You don't throw a slant from the 1 yard line.. You hand the ball to Lynch and you win the game... This was the worst call in Super Bowl history.... Seattle's coaching staff let this team down... You have 3 chances to get 1 yard with Lynch.... Those odds are in Seattle's favor... No excuse, Bevell is a fucking idiot..

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don't throw a slant from the 1 yard line.. You hand the ball to Lynch and you win the game... This was the worst call in Super Bowl history.... Seattle's coaching staff let this team down... You have 3 chances to get 1 yard with Lynch.... Those odds are in Seattle's favor... No excuse, Bevell is a fucking idiot..

There are 9 people in the box. If they don't throw it on 2nd they sure as shit throw on 3rd.

ElTexan

Board Chancellor Emeritus
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are 9 people in the box. If they don't throw it on 2nd they sure as shit throw on 3rd.

Why is it so hard for ppl to understand this simple fact. If you run on 2nd and fail, use time out, the entire universe knows you have to throw on 3rd. The defense knowing what you're going to do is not a good situation to be in. Throwing on 2nd is the right call in that situation.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Lynch was 6 of 15 from 5 yards out all season.

Hardly a sure thing.