• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Russell Wilson: Blame me, I made the throw

BF4L

Bruins homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,520.25
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Wilson and think he has all the talent to be one of the greats. He also has the talent in knowing how to handle himself in the media. That bodes well for him and his team.

As far as that pass. I agree with most. Dumb play call. Simple timing play and the DB made a good read. Cant blame the QB for that play IMO.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Plenty of blame to spread around.
Carroll should have said no to the play call and put 24 in there.
Kearse should have done his job and made the pick play on his rub route.
Lockette should have used proper technique and really sold the fake move, not been lazy and left it obvious where the play was going.
Wilson should have either thrown it away (if he saw that those two WR's didn't do their jobs) or at least thrown it 6 inches more to the right where Lockette would have had more position on the throw. The defender didn't "jump the ball" he pushed lockette. Can't happen if the ball is more to his side.

Seattle got exactly what they wanted on that play. 2 on 2 with an undrafted free agent rookie corner covering the intended target.

They came up one play short. The flip side is the Patriots made one more play than Seattle did. Give them their props.

Isn't it good enough to have a game where the zebras weren't the deciding factor? Where the game came down to the wire? Where both teams played their asses off and left everything on the field on the games biggest stage?

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was the worst play call in super bowl history.

Listen, with Bellicheck NOT using his timeouts there at the end, it means he was saving them for the Offense and an attempt to comeback. What that more than likely means, is that they would have let Marshawn walk into the endzone, just to get the ball back quicker and still retain the timeouts.

This literally means they WOULD have scored, had they handed it off to the best RB in the game.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never had a bad word to say about Wilson the person. Seems like a hell of a guy

Me either.

He's short, has never played without an elite D, and lost the Super Bowl because he didn't hand the ball off. (12-21 is well, unimpressive.). But he's clearly a stand up guy.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is on the coaches, 100%

It was only 2nd down. You can try to fit one in or throw the ball away.

No way it's 100% on the play call. That is pure insanity.

Dolemite censored

Bigfoot is real
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's the right thing to say, the dude is all class... but its hard for me to find any blame on Wilson there.

That's not an INT you can see coming or avoid, IMO. That was just a a defensive player making a great pre-snap read, taking a gamble, and making a huge play.

That was a fucked up play and and a boneheaded mistake.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was only 2nd down. You can try to fit one in or throw the ball away.

No way it's 100% on the play call. That is pure insanity.

A quick slant, into the most condensed field possible is a shitty call man. Plain and simple.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is a dangerous play. Too dangerous, given the situation.

Kumquat

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What is interesting is the OC is throwing his receiver under the bus for the int. At least Carroll and Wilson both fell on their sword. This dude is a terrible coach.

"Lockette "could have been stronger through the ball," Bevell pointed out to reporters multiple times""

Bevell: Lockette 'could have been stronger' to ball - NFL.com

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea the main issue for me is that it is not a play they run or are successful at very often, so why run it in that situation. Be who you are and either run it, do a play action or move the pocket for Wilson. He has never be great at throwing slants as that just isn't a huge emphasis in the offense they run. But yea you have to credit Butler he made a hell of play.

The throw wasn't his best but more of the blame is on the play call and kudos to the guy who made the play.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He owned it...like he should've.

Have to respect a player willing to do that on such a big stage...I saw where his OC blamed the WR...total BS.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What could he have done?

Throw the ball away and set up for the next play.

Wilson botched the pass. Not an indictment on the guys ability but he tried to force it in.

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree that he made a bad throw. You can argue the play call - and many have - but for the play they were running Wilson threw a good ball. On a quick pick play like that Russel doesn't really have time to read much of anything (other than pre-snap).

The defensive player guessed (correctly) what the play was and made a heck of a play.

I agree Gordon, it was just luck that a rookie unknown read the play and cut in. He said that they practice that formation in practice and he was able to read it. If not then an easy TD

Tech_God

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Isn't it good enough to have a game where the zebras weren't the deciding factor? Where the game came down to the wire? Where both teams played their asses off and left everything on the field on the games biggest stage?

:agree:

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What could he have done?

Throw the ball away and set up for the next play.

Wilson botched the pass. Not an indictment on the guys ability but he tried to force it in.

When you see it from the QB vantage point...it's totally possible that he didn't see him under cutting it until he let it go...clearly is was not wide open, it was always going to be a bang bang play.

Number7

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with Wilson. They called the play, but he made the throw and needs to take some of the blame.

I agree. They called a stupid play but an incomplete pass there and no one is talking about this at all. They didn't throw the pick.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 200,000.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree that he made a bad throw. You can argue the play call - and many have - but for the play they were running Wilson threw a good ball. On a quick pick play like that Russel doesn't really have time to read much of anything (other than pre-snap).

The defensive player guessed (correctly) what the play was and made a heck of a play.

I think this is getting lost in all the "Seattle shouldn't have made that play call" talk. Kid made an outstanding play on the ball. I thought he was going to be flagged for PI, but watching it in slo-mo, you can't make a better play than he did.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When you see it from the QB vantage point...it's totally possible that he didn't see him under cutting it until he let it go...clearly is was not wide open, it was always going to be a bang bang play.

From my perspective so many things were wrong about that play...

1. Run the ball! You have time and a time out.

2. If you want to throw, do a run option pass to use Wilson's strength.

3. If you are going to run a slant it has to be a no brainer or throw the ball away.

Wilson is a good QB because he can run. He makes teams respect the read option not because he is some accurate passer with great arm strength. This isn't a knock on the guy the Seahawks usually use him with his strengths in mind. This time they didn't.