• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Russell Wilson: Blame me, I made the throw

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you look at the photo posted of the pre-snap read, I'm really not sure that I agree with this anymore.

There were 2 people off the line. Butler and I think Nikovich. Nikovich was responsible for Lynch. That means that it was a one on one situation with Lockette and Butler. Butler made a great read and jumped the route and, IMO, Lockette screwed up by not getting his hands out in front. Had Kearse got off the line on Browner it probably wouldn't have matter as Lockette would have been wide open because Kearse would have rubbed Butler off the play.

Don't you also see the wall of humanity in front of Wilson which forced him to throw the ball high? You know more than I, but I just don't think that play call was putting Wilson or the team in the best position to succeed.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't you also see the wall of humanity in front of Wilson which forced him to throw the ball high? You know more than I, but I just don't think that play call was putting Wilson or the team in the best position to succeed.

But here is the thing. If Kearse gets off the line and rubs Butler off the play it is an EASY TD. All those people on the line are irrelevant because they are still engaged in their blocks on run defense. So it came down to a one on one and the Patriots won it.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why is it so hard for ppl to understand this simple fact. If you run on 2nd and fail, use time out, the entire universe knows you have to throw on 3rd. The defense knowing what you're going to do is not a good situation to be in. Throwing on 2nd is the right call in that situation.

WTF ? WHO cares if they know your running it!!! This is big boy football you pound it down there throat regardless if THEY know... You use Lynch here period!! YOU DON"T HAVE TO THROW AT ALL!!! You can hand it off 3 times and let Lynch pound it... We had time... Dude this is where you don't have to get cute, just get tough and pound the effin ball in .... Our chances were better doing that... And if you are gonna throw you certainly don't throw a slant pass because those are dangerous that close to the line....

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WTF ? WHO cares if they know your running it!!! This is big boy football you pound it down there throat regardless if THEY know... You use Lynch here period!! YOU DON"T HAVE TO THROW AT ALL!!! You can hand it off 3 times and let Lynch pound it... We had time... Dude this is where you don't have to get cute, just get tough and pound the effin ball in .... Our chances were better doing that... And if you are gonna throw you certainly don't throw a slant pass because those are dangerous that close to the line....

Do you remember the Hawks trying that last year in the NFC Championship game? Do you remember what happened?

You keep saying the same thing over and over. Looking at the pre-snap read. Tell me what that was so dangerous? The Patriots were selling out for the run. EVERYONE was on the line.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you remember the Hawks trying that last year in the NFC Championship game? Do you remember what happened?

You keep saying the same thing over and over. Looking at the pre-snap read. Tell me what that was so dangerous? The Patriots were selling out for the run. EVERYONE was on the line.

Doesn't matter.... I don't care about any other game .... Right then at that moment I feel like Lynch was rolling and he would a got it done... Sometimes you gotta line up your ugly's against there ugly's and find out who's stronger upfront... Remember man, out of any back in the league Lynch goes through contact like no other back... JUST go out doing what you do... Just because we fumbled last year shouldn't dictate that we shy away from what we do well... POUND the rock ... Pats also don't have the Niners defense up front..

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I like that way of thinking from the 1, no doubt...take you two shots with Lynch...if you don't pass at all doubtful there would enough time to get three runs. TO after the 2nd down, but trying to unpile and line up two more times...you really run the risk of not getting off a 4th down play.

Slant...if it's wide open, you throw it, if not throw it out of the endzone, and live for another play...it simply was too close to try it.

cwood

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's kind of weird that Wilson seems to be getting a pass here. He made a bad decision that cost his team the game. Nobody would even remember the call if he hadn't tried to force in a pass he had no business throwing.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's kind of weird that Wilson seems to be getting a pass here. He made a bad decision that cost his team the game. Nobody would even remember the call if he hadn't tried to force in a pass he had no business throwing.

Wilson has limited arm strength. He should have just thrown it away.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well mainly because the receiver didn't do his job. That would be the main reason.

But regardless, when is a one on one matchup when the receiver is underneath and ahead of the defender, a bad decision?

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kearse could have rubbed better. Lockette could have charged into the route better. Russell could have thrown it a little better (though if Lockette gets another half step into the route, the throw is perfect).

cwood

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well mainly because the receiver didn't do his job. That would be the main reason.

But regardless, when is a one on one matchup when the receiver is underneath and ahead of the defender, a bad decision?

You take zero chances at that point in the game and you don't try to fit the ball into a tight window. He should have thrown it out of the end zone. Anyway, I just think it's weird. I can't think of another quarterback who wouldn't be ridiculed for throwing that int.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You take zero chances at that point in the game and you don't try to fit the ball into a tight window. He should have thrown it out of the end zone. Anyway, I just think it's weird. I can't think of another quarterback who wouldn't be ridiculed for throwing that int.

If that was Brady, the story line across the media world would be:

"Did Tom Brady ruin his entire NFL career and legacy on 1 bad pass?"

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I like little Rusty Wilson, he seems like a nice kid. It's a shame he is stuck playing for a dewshbag coach and with a bunch of fukheads teammates.

Rusty did his best, tried his hardest and all, he just came up a bit short. :lol:

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You mean the receiver's job wasn't to get knocked on his ass by a guy half his size? :scratch:

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You mean the receiver's job wasn't to get knocked on his ass by a guy half his size? :scratch:

Another great aspect of that catch was Butler's body position not just to the ball but it was perfectly braced for the collision. Had he been standing up just a little more upright, the impact would have sent him to the ground and maybe knocked the ball out.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,747.78
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's the right thing to say, the dude is all class... but its hard for me to find any blame on Wilson there.

That's not an INT you can see coming or avoid, IMO. That was just a a defensive player making a great pre-snap read, taking a gamble, and making a huge play.

Kurt Warner broke it down beautifully... He said it was a good throw by RW... Two things didn't happen there... Jevon Kearse didn't drive his guy into the endzone like he was supposed to - he just basically stayed at the LOS with his guy... Driving his guy into the endzone wouldn't had given Butler an easy angle... 2nd, Lockette made a horrible attempt for that ball... You'll see Lockette stutter for a second making Wilson's throw look like he led him too much... Then you also have the DB guessing and jumping the route perfectly... Warner didn't think it was Wilson's fault at all...

TP76

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kurt Warner broke it down beautifully... He said it was a good throw by RW... Two things didn't happen there... Jevon Kearse didn't drive his guy into the endzone like he was supposed to - he just basically stayed at the LOS with his guy... Driving his guy into the endzone wouldn't had given Butler an easy angle... 2nd, Lockette made a horrible attempt for that ball... You'll see Lockette stutter for a second making Wilson's throw look like he led him too much... Then you also have the DB guessing and jumping the route perfectly... Warner didn't think it was Wilson's fault at all...

Kearse did drive Browner back... just not quickly enough. That's not an easy task against a guy as big as Browner is. Butler later said he recognized the play from film study because the receivers were stacked and it was a rub slant/route- he knew where it was going... and made a great play. I don't think he guessed, and it didn't look like he guessed.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

We were playing the hand we were dealt with 3 UDFAs and a ST gunner playing WR that game. Lockette just isn't a very polished receiver... which takes us back to calling a pass play that involves RW's mobility, and of course bolsters the notion that handing it to #24 was the way to go. 1 yard from a repeat. Maddening.