• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Russell Wilson and inclement weather

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am about as big a Russ fan boy as there is. But if there is one thing I would criticize Russ for, it is his play in inclement weather.

Now I realize that all QBs play drops off in bad weather. But it seems to me that Russ really becomes erratic when the weather turns sour.

Car-Sea in the divisional round last year. Sea-GB in the NFCC. Yesterday.

Now, in fairness, we did win all three but we were pretty fortunate to win 2 of them.

Banned 10x

aka Raindrop
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've noticed that too, but at -6 yesterday I'll give him a pass. Luckily its supposed to be in the mid 40s next week in Charlotte....

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not criticizing him. It's not like the other QBs were tearing it up either. Bad weather affects QB play.

I don't worry about the underthrows yesterday. But it does seem the Seahawks play much more conservatively to a flaw in bad weather. Not sure if that is Wilson or PC though.

Banned 10x

aka Raindrop
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not criticizing him. It's not like the other QBs were tearing it up either. Bad weather affects QB play.

I don't worry about the underthrows yesterday. But it does seem the Seahawks play much more conservatively to a flaw in bad weather. Not sure if that is Wilson or PC though.

I'm going to go with PC and the coaching staff. They really went back to the "conservative play calling and let the defense win the game" approach in this game.

I fully expect this Sunday for them to let it all fly.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am about as big a Russ fan boy as there is. But if there is one thing I would criticize Russ for, it is his play in inclement weather.

Now I realize that all QBs play drops off in bad weather. But it seems to me that Russ really becomes erratic when the weather turns sour.

Now, in fairness, we did win all three but we were pretty fortunate to win 2 of them.
Last year's playoff game vs Carolina: 15/22, 268 yard, 3 TDs, 0 INT, 149 passer rating. I'll take that every time.

But yeah, he didn't have a great game yesterday. Didn't expect it with temps below 0. I was happy we kept taking some shots down field. Had we hit any of those like we normally do, probably a bit more comfortable of an outcome.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last year's playoff game vs Carolina: 15/22, 268 yard, 3 TDs, 0 INT, 149 passer rating. I'll take that every time.

But yeah, he didn't have a great game yesterday. Didn't expect it with temps below 0. I was happy we kept taking some shots down field. Had we hit any of those like we normally do, probably a bit more comfortable of an outcome.

You know what? I was thinking of the Saints game two years ago.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well he wasn't wearing gloves yesterday from what I could tell, so his fingers had to be totally numb, which would help explain some of the errant throws. The thing is, I don't know if gloves would have necessarily helped.

More than that, though, I think part of the problem with the offense yesterday was the sudden change of gameplan that had to have taken place once it was clear Lynch wasn't going to play. I have to think that they went all the way into Friday intending to go run heavy with Lynch and Michael, and when it became clear that Lynch wasn't going to play, they basically had a day to rework the gameplan to account for the lack of reps Michael got with the starters in practice, so they may have thrown some more passing plays in there than they had originally intended.

He obviously didn't have a very good game, but I think some external factors had a lot to do with it. The weather for this week's game in Charlotte looks fantastic compared to yesterday's weather in Minneapolis, so inclement weather won't be an issue this week. The Lynch situation needs to have an earlier go or no go date than last week so if he can't go, they can at least get Michael reps with the starters this week before the game.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Russell relies a lot on his feet to improvise out of the pocket, whether it's with his spin moves, a quick burst to get outside the edge as he continues to look downfield... This weather definitely prevents him from doing this as successful... With that being one of his best assets, it's almost a liability in these games because he relies on it so much... One thing I notice in these games is when he takes a sack, it's a big loss, not just a 5-7 yard loss but like a 12-15 yard loss due to him trying to make plays with his feet...

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It seemed like the offense couldn't establish any type of rhythm yesterday. I don't know if it's just in my head but it seemed like there were extra TV commercials and stoppages going on yesterday. Maybe just bad luck too. Any time it looked like we were starting to get things going there would be a time out, or the quarter would end, injury timeout, officials review, or two minute warning. The pace just seemed to keep getting interrupted. I dunno, maybe it was just me.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Something interesting I saw earlier. 10 interesting things about yesterday's win.

1. The Seahawks have made winning wild card games a habit

The Seahawks’ won their fifth-straight wild card game, thanks in part to Blair Walsh’s miss of a 27-yard field goal with 22 seconds left. The Seahawks’ last wild card loss was Jan. 8, 2005, against the St. Louis Rams.

Just as Seattle won thanks to Blair Walsh’s bizarre field goal miss, its current wild card winning streak started on another botched field goal attempt at the end of the game. On Jan. 6, 2007, Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo fumbled the snap on what could have been a game-winning 19-yard kick with 1:19 left. Romo tried to scramble for a first down but was stopped just short. The Seahawks held on to win 21-20.

Both that game and Sunday’s win are tied for the closest playoff wins in Seahawks history: one point.

2. Coldest game in Seahawks history

The official temperature at kickoff was minus-6 degrees. That ties it for the third-coldest game in NFL history and is 19 degrees colder than the previous low for a Seahawks game.

In the 12 coldest games in team history (25 degrees and higher), the Seahawks are now 3-9 all-time.

3. Russell Wilson just keeps winning in the playoffs

Sunday marked Russell Wilson’s seventh postseason win in his first four seasons, including a Super Bowl victory. Here’s how he stacks up to other NFL greats in their first four seasons.

• Tom Brady: 6 (2 Super Bowl wins)
  • Ben Roethlisberger: 5 (1 Super Bowl win)
  • John Elway: 4
  • Dan Marino: 3
  • Joe Montana: 3 (1 Super Bowl win)
  • Troy Aikman: 3 (1 Super Bowl win)
  • Brett Favre: 2
  • Peyton Manning: 0
  • Aaron Rodgers: 0
  • Steve Young: 0
  • Drew Brees: 0
  • Kurt Warner: 0
4. Four is a magic number – for Doug Baldwin

Doug Baldwin’s 4th quarter touchdown catch makes him the fourth Seahawks player with four postseason touchdowns. He joins teammate Jermaine Kearse, Hall of Fame receiver Steve Largent, and tight end Jerramy Stevens.

5. Five wins when down by 9

The Seahawks are 5-2 in the postseason since 2010 when trailing by nine points or more.

• Jan. 10, 2016 – Beat Minnesota 10-9 (Down 9-0)
  • Jan. 18, 2015 – Beat Green Bay 28-22 (down 16-0)
  • Jan. 19, 2014 – Beat San Francisco 23-17 (Down 10-0)
  • Jan. 6, 2015 – Beat Washington 24-14 (Down 14-0)
  • Jan. 8, 2011 – Beat New Orleans 41-36 (Down 10-0)
The rest of the NFL is 6-41 in that same span.

6. When the offensive line is working and receivers get open …

In the second half, Russell Wilson was 5-of-6 for 56 yards and a touchdown when he was not under duress. But when the Vikings were bearing down on him, he was 2-of-9 for 47 yards, no touchdowns and an interception.

7. No scoring? No problem

The Seahawks are the third team in NFL history to win a postseason game after failing to score in the first three quarters. The others were the 1978 Atlanta Falcons (14-13 win over the Philadelphia Eagles in NFC Wild Card) and the 1948 Eagles (7-0 over the Chicago Cardinals in the NFL Championship).

The ten points by the Seahawks on Sunday are the fewest they have scored in a postseason win. The previous low was 13 points in the 1984 AFC Wild Card Game over the L.A. Raiders.

8. Christine Michael > Adrian Peterson in playoff debut

Although Christine Michael has been around for both Seahawks Super Bowl runs, he’s never touched the ball in the postseason until Sunday. He made the most of it with 21 carries for 70 yards and no fumbles (turnover concerns were a big reason why he didn’t have any playoff carries.)

Vikings running back Adrian Peterson had 23 carries for 45 yards and a fumble.

9. Not the biggest playoff miss in Vikings history

Blair Walsh may never live down what happened Sunday, but it wasn’t the worst field goal blunder in that team’s history.

Gary Andersen was perfect heading into the 1998 NFC Championship Game against the Atlanta Falcons. He was the first kicker to go an entire season without missing any field goals or extra points. But with just over two minutes to play and leading 27-20, Andersen missed his only field goal of the season – a 38 yarder that would have put the Vikings up by 10.

The Falcons drove downfield to tie it in the final seconds and won in overtime, 30-27, to advance to Super Bowl XXXIII.

10. But can the Seahawks do it again next week?

This is the seventh time the Seahawks have won a wild card game to advance to the division round. They are 1-5 all-time after a wild card win. The only time they advanced again was the 1983 playoffs. They beat the Denver Broncos in the wild card 31-7 and the Miami Dolphins in the divisional round 27-20. They lost to the Los Angeles Raiders 30-14 in the AFC Championship.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those conditions were SO BRUTAL... Russ also settled down and made some great throws in the second half... What matters the most is he stepped up when it counted... But I"ve been in that kinda weather before, I"m telling you your hands go numb, your hands become brittle and useless....

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Something interesting I saw earlier. 10 interesting things about yesterday's win.

1. The Seahawks have made winning wild card games a habit

The Seahawks’ won their fifth-straight wild card game, thanks in part to Blair Walsh’s miss of a 27-yard field goal with 22 seconds left. The Seahawks’ last wild card loss was Jan. 8, 2005, against the St. Louis Rams.

Just as Seattle won thanks to Blair Walsh’s bizarre field goal miss, its current wild card winning streak started on another botched field goal attempt at the end of the game. On Jan. 6, 2007, Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo fumbled the snap on what could have been a game-winning 19-yard kick with 1:19 left. Romo tried to scramble for a first down but was stopped just short. The Seahawks held on to win 21-20.

Both that game and Sunday’s win are tied for the closest playoff wins in Seahawks history: one point.

2. Coldest game in Seahawks history

The official temperature at kickoff was minus-6 degrees. That ties it for the third-coldest game in NFL history and is 19 degrees colder than the previous low for a Seahawks game.

In the 12 coldest games in team history (25 degrees and higher), the Seahawks are now 3-9 all-time.

3. Russell Wilson just keeps winning in the playoffs

Sunday marked Russell Wilson’s seventh postseason win in his first four seasons, including a Super Bowl victory. Here’s how he stacks up to other NFL greats in their first four seasons.

• Tom Brady: 6 (2 Super Bowl wins)
  • Ben Roethlisberger: 5 (1 Super Bowl win)
  • John Elway: 4
  • Dan Marino: 3
  • Joe Montana: 3 (1 Super Bowl win)
  • Troy Aikman: 3 (1 Super Bowl win)
  • Brett Favre: 2
  • Peyton Manning: 0
  • Aaron Rodgers: 0
  • Steve Young: 0
  • Drew Brees: 0
  • Kurt Warner: 0
4. Four is a magic number – for Doug Baldwin

Doug Baldwin’s 4th quarter touchdown catch makes him the fourth Seahawks player with four postseason touchdowns. He joins teammate Jermaine Kearse, Hall of Fame receiver Steve Largent, and tight end Jerramy Stevens.

5. Five wins when down by 9

The Seahawks are 5-2 in the postseason since 2010 when trailing by nine points or more.

• Jan. 10, 2016 – Beat Minnesota 10-9 (Down 9-0)
  • Jan. 18, 2015 – Beat Green Bay 28-22 (down 16-0)
  • Jan. 19, 2014 – Beat San Francisco 23-17 (Down 10-0)
  • Jan. 6, 2015 – Beat Washington 24-14 (Down 14-0)
  • Jan. 8, 2011 – Beat New Orleans 41-36 (Down 10-0)
The rest of the NFL is 6-41 in that same span.

6. When the offensive line is working and receivers get open …

In the second half, Russell Wilson was 5-of-6 for 56 yards and a touchdown when he was not under duress. But when the Vikings were bearing down on him, he was 2-of-9 for 47 yards, no touchdowns and an interception.

7. No scoring? No problem

The Seahawks are the third team in NFL history to win a postseason game after failing to score in the first three quarters. The others were the 1978 Atlanta Falcons (14-13 win over the Philadelphia Eagles in NFC Wild Card) and the 1948 Eagles (7-0 over the Chicago Cardinals in the NFL Championship).

The ten points by the Seahawks on Sunday are the fewest they have scored in a postseason win. The previous low was 13 points in the 1984 AFC Wild Card Game over the L.A. Raiders.

8. Christine Michael > Adrian Peterson in playoff debut

Although Christine Michael has been around for both Seahawks Super Bowl runs, he’s never touched the ball in the postseason until Sunday. He made the most of it with 21 carries for 70 yards and no fumbles (turnover concerns were a big reason why he didn’t have any playoff carries.)

Vikings running back Adrian Peterson had 23 carries for 45 yards and a fumble.

9. Not the biggest playoff miss in Vikings history

Blair Walsh may never live down what happened Sunday, but it wasn’t the worst field goal blunder in that team’s history.

Gary Andersen was perfect heading into the 1998 NFC Championship Game against the Atlanta Falcons. He was the first kicker to go an entire season without missing any field goals or extra points. But with just over two minutes to play and leading 27-20, Andersen missed his only field goal of the season – a 38 yarder that would have put the Vikings up by 10.

The Falcons drove downfield to tie it in the final seconds and won in overtime, 30-27, to advance to Super Bowl XXXIII.

10. But can the Seahawks do it again next week?

This is the seventh time the Seahawks have won a wild card game to advance to the division round. They are 1-5 all-time after a wild card win. The only time they advanced again was the 1983 playoffs. They beat the Denver Broncos in the wild card 31-7 and the Miami Dolphins in the divisional round 27-20. They lost to the Los Angeles Raiders 30-14 in the AFC Championship.
Great post bl.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those conditions were SO BRUTAL... Russ also settled down and made some great throws in the second half... What matters the most is he stepped up when it counted... But I"ve been in that kinda weather before, I"m telling you your hands go numb, your hands become brittle and useless....
Yeah, the sub zero conditions clearly made the down field passing game much more difficult than it would be normally and how it will be in Carolina. I'm not letting this arctic struggle erase everything else I've seen from the league's top rated passer.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Prior to last Sunday, I don't know what the coldest game temperature was that Wilson had played in as a Seahawks. But as a badger, he never played in a game colder than 43 degrees. So, he is not acclimated to cold weather at all. But on the bright side, he'll probably never play in a game that cold again in his entire professional career.....unless the libtards are wrong....and it is actually getting colder.