• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Running Backs

sharkymcwrath

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
May be the end of him as a Patriot

Agree. I love the guy but feel like they've already got the running back position covered pretty darned good. Stevenson said he spent a lot of the offseason working on being a pass catching back.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting take on the Patriots Runni8ng Backs

Early-down running back​

1. Rhamondre Stevenson
  2. Damien Harris
  3. Kevin Harris
The Patriots are constantly rotating early-down backs, but after Stevenson showed eye-opening contact balance and some receiving skills out of the backfield, it'd come as no surprise if he got more first-team reps this summer.

The Patriots may have been trying to build some depth by selecting Kevin Harris in the sixth round -- particularly with Damien Harris in the final year of his rookie deal -- but the South Carolina product likely doesn't have the juice to threaten either veteran.

Third-down running back​

1. James White*
  2. Pierre Strong
  3. JJ Taylor
James White's health bears watching. Will he be cleared for contact by the time pads are introduced in a few months? If not, how will the Patriots attack this position? JJ Taylor has been touted as a promising player the last couple of off-seasons, but he saw just one snap in pass protection last year. Would he get the first bite at sub-package work if White misses time? Or would it be Pierre Strong, who was just taken in the fourth round?

The reality of the situation appears to be that White will either be placed on PUP or IR for the first 8 weeks of the season or as previously stated, retire with an injury settlement. JJ Taylor will have to do something more than be the fifth guy off the bench. He could be another 6th or7th round draft pick if Bill doesn't see marked improvement.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Early-down running back​

1. Rhamondre Stevenson
  2. Damien Harris
  3. Kevin Harris
The Patriots are constantly rotating early-down backs, but after Stevenson showed eye-opening contact balance and some receiving skills out of the backfield, it'd come as no surprise if he got more first-team reps this summer.

The Patriots may have been trying to build some depth by selecting Kevin Harris in the sixth round -- particularly with Damien Harris in the final year of his rookie deal -- but the South Carolina product likely doesn't have the juice to threaten either veteran.

Third-down running back​

1. James White*
  2. Pierre Strong
  3. JJ Taylor
James White's health bears watching. Will he be cleared for contact by the time pads are introduced in a few months? If not, how will the Patriots attack this position? JJ Taylor has been touted as a promising player the last couple of off-seasons, but he saw just one snap in pass protection last year. Would he get the first bite at sub-package work if White misses time? Or would it be Pierre Strong, who was just taken in the fourth round?

The reality of the situation appears to be that White will either be placed on PUP or IR for the first 8 weeks of the season or as previously stated, retire with an injury settlement. JJ Taylor will have to do something more than be the fifth guy off the bench. He could be another 6th or7th round draft pick if Bill doesn't see marked improvement.

Pierre Strong was a nice draft pick for the Patriots in my opinion. They are going to love that big play ability he brings to the table. Give the kid a little crease and he can easily take it to the house.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Early-down running back​

1. Rhamondre Stevenson
  2. Damien Harris
  3. Kevin Harris

Third-down running back​

1. James White*
  2. Pierre Strong
  3. JJ Taylor

White does not retire with an injury settlement.
Injury settlements are for players trying to make a team.
White has a contract.. If he can't play he is cut. If you are cut trying to rehab, you can retire or sign with another team.
If you retire because of a career ending injury, you collect an insurance policy.
Many vested players get contracts but cannot make the grade after attempt to rehab. They must TRY to rehab!
When rehab is unsuccesful, it is designated a career ending injury and the player is compensated through an insurance policy.

Key difference: if a player decides to play for another team, he is not eligible for career ending injury!
Players in camp often take injury settlements for the games they don't get paid and the right to free agency.....

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
White does not retire with an injury settlement.
Injury settlements are for players trying to make a team.
White has a contract.. If he can't play he is cut. If you are cut trying to rehab, you can retire or sign with another team.
If you retire because of a career ending injury, you collect an insurance policy.
Many vested players get contracts but cannot make the grade after attempt to rehab. They must TRY to rehab!
When rehab is unsuccesful, it is designated a career ending injury and the player is compensated through an insurance policy.

Key difference: if a player decides to play for another team, he is not eligible for career ending injury!
Players in camp often take injury settlements for the games they don't get paid and the right to free agency.....
Reminds me of Macolm Mitchell. As hard as he rehabbed, he just could not come back and play.

Thanks for the clarification. I thought that a player could get a settlement and retire.

sharkymcwrath

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I really really really wanted JJ to be the next super elusive pass catching back but I just don't feel like it's ever going to happen. He just doesn't make those slick plays that you hope he's going to make.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really really really wanted JJ to be the next super elusive pass catching back but I just don't feel like it's ever going to happen. He just doesn't make those slick plays that you hope he's going to make.
He seems to have it in his DNA, but having it and being able to access it at will aren't the same. There's a reason some guys get the label "gamer". I'm not saying he's for sure not a gamer, but if he can't cut it, that just might be the reason.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He seems to have it in his DNA, but having it and being able to access it at will aren't the same. There's a reason some guys get the label "gamer". I'm not saying he's for sure not a gamer, but if he can't cut it, that just might be the reason.
To me, he's always trying to give it a little more. There are times when it pays off and he looks like he's going to break through. Then there are the other times where he tries and it almost seems like fake effort because it just didn't work. The more I think about it, the more I tend to believe that trying to always give that "extra" means that he doesn't have "enough".

I hope that came out right.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can''t see Taylor making this team. I just don't see the fit, he does nothing great and others moderately well. He's gone IMO

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4.57 speed
Averaged 9 games per year
Averaged 544 yards per year rushing
Averaged 64 yards per year receiving
Steven Ridley had similar numbers at this point of his career and we let him go to the Jets for $1.3 million.
He is not a bell-cow back. His stats go significantly downhill after 10-15 carries.
"There are 21 running backs rated higher than Harris while the Cleveland Browns are the only team with two players at the position — Nick Chubb, Kareem Hunt — ranked higher. Tennessee Titans star Derrick Henry rated the highest at 97 overall in front of Christian McCaffrey and Chubb (96) and the league’s defending rushing champion Jonathan Taylor (95)."

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Patriots placed RB James White (hip) on active/PUP list.​

Earlier this week ESPN's Mike Reiss reported that White was "still walking with what appeared to be an uncomfortable gait." White has yet to be fully cleared for a return to the field and was already viewed as a PUP list candidate prior to this official announcement. Still recovering surgery on his hip after a Week 3 injury against the Saints last season, we're unsure on when White could see a return to the field. The nine-year vet was brought back on a two-year, $5 million contract this offseason but could be cut at little cost to the team in favor of younger, healthier backs.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Patriots placed RB James White (hip) on active/PUP list.​

Earlier this week ESPN's Mike Reiss reported that White was "still walking with what appeared to be an uncomfortable gait." White has yet to be fully cleared for a return to the field and was already viewed as a PUP list candidate prior to this official announcement. Still recovering surgery on his hip after a Week 3 injury against the Saints last season, we're unsure on when White could see a return to the field. The nine-year vet was brought back on a two-year, $5 million contract this offseason but could be cut at little cost to the team in favor of younger, healthier backs.
Not surprised.
They said it was a pretty severe injury last year.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not surprised.
They said it was a pretty severe injury last year.
When he gets older he'll need hip replacement......

"A hip dislocation or subluxation is a potentially devastating injury that can lead to both short-term and long-term problems with the hip joint. People who sustain a hip dislocation typically require general anesthesia and sometimes surgery in order for the hip joint to be repositioned back in place".

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When he gets older he'll need hip replacement......

"A hip dislocation or subluxation is a potentially devastating injury that can lead to both short-term and long-term problems with the hip joint. People who sustain a hip dislocation typically require general anesthesia and sometimes surgery in order for the hip joint to be repositioned back in place".
Yeah, I thought I remembered it being pretty bad.
Seems his was not a "mild" sublaxation either, if memory serves me right.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I thought I remembered it being pretty bad.
Seems his was not a "mild" sublaxation either, if memory serves me right.
Was watching Trennie last night and she had Tom Curran on the show. Curran said that he has a severe limp. Much worse than you would expect with an athlete his age and physical condition. Curran thinks he's 60/40 to be forced to retire.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was watching Trennie last night and she had Tom Curran on the show. Curran said that he has a severe limp. Much worse than you would expect with an athlete his age and physical condition. Curran thinks he's 60/40 to be forced to retire.
I'm in the camp of expecting white to retire.
Belichick being patient so white can get his insurance check.....