• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Running Backs

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What would you do? This year and next
This year: Give the rooks every opportunity to make the roster. Give Stephenson more carries. Look for a team to deal Harris for no less than a 2023 2nd round pick.. Most likely say farewell to JJ Taylor. Just no room. Watch White very closely and see if Montgomery has the tools to take his place. If not, adios to both and nurture the rookies.

Next year: Look for depth late in the draft.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Time for an update on our RB situation:

Damien Harris -
last year in Pats uniform.
Rhamondre Stevenson - will be our top RB this year. Just getting started!
James White - not currently ready to play after serious surgery. Only $500k guaranteed cut savings over $1
Tye Montgomery - looks like a replacement for White. Can save $1.3 cut him with no Guaranteed money. Might need him now
Pierre Strong 4.37 speed - replacement for Harris or White.- BB does not like to start rookies!
Kevin Harris - Big bruising downhill runner. Sharp cuts but not fast. Hard to bring down. Has good hands and can catch over shoulder. Rookie will likely redshirt this year until he learns to pass block and pick up blitzes. Excellent run blocker.
JJ Taylor - no guaranteed money, saves us $1million when cut.
Devine Ozighbo already released. Saves us $1 million - capable back was odd man out and mercy early release

We have 2 big strong capable backs and a 9 year vet recovering, 2 good new backs and an unknown in Ty Montgomery who can absolutely replace White if neccessary but is 8 year vet who has never had a 500 yard season. Ben Vareen type who never lived up to his opportunity.

What would you do? This year and next
Evaluation of What we Have:

Damien Harris
Projected to be an average starter and that is exactly what he is. Middle of the pack and most of the backs below him are having worst year or are being shown the door. Maybe he won't be expensive?
Rhamondre Stevenson Best is yet to come. This might be a big year for him,
James White We have gotten the best out of him. Was last year a year too early?
Ty Montgomery has never amounted to anything. Slow. Projected to be a good backup and maybe a starter. Has been average at best.
Pierre Strong Fast! 4.37 speed. Over achiever in college. Show him the field!
Kevin Harris Big, bruising, backup. potential to be short yardage back or even receiver out of backfield.. Needs a lot of coaching as a rookie.
JJ Taylor Has not shown NFL talent - even as a backup

Our RB's look strong by committee / rotation. The only RB-1 with 1000 yard potential this year is likely Stevenson. And he can catch!

Play coach and GM and tell me what you would do.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Damien Harris
Projected to be an average starter and that is exactly what he is. Middle of the pack and most of the backs below him are having worst year or are being shown the door. Maybe he won't be expensive?
Ty Montgomery has never amounted to anything. Slow. Projected to be a good backup and maybe a starter. Has been average at best.
Kevin Harris Big, bruising, backup. potential to be short yardage back or even receiver out of backfield.. Needs a lot of coaching as a rookie.

Our RB's look strong by committee / rotation. The only RB-1 with 1000 yard potential this year is likely Stevenson. And he can catch!

Making the assumption White is healthy, reports are he may miss OTAs?

Look to find a trading partner for D. Harris and Taylor or unfortunately cut JJ. Too bad I really liked that kid.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Damien Harris

Assuming we carry 4

Harris
Stevenson
White
Strrong

If we carry Five
Harris

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IF I was BB...........................

2022 Keepers would be:
D. Harris
Stevenson
Strong
K. Harris
White (Only if he is 100% recovered and has close to his old speed and flexibility)

Say farewell to Montgomery and JJ Taylor. Monty was a 'just in case' signing and JJ was horrible for his few attempts in the few games he played. Defenses are faster and JJ can't hide under the OL and DL Behemoths anymore.

Bill's attempting to get younger and faster. That and he knows that D. Harris will be testing FA next spring. Expect to see him get dealt if a team loses their #1 like Tennessee did last year or Dallas two years ago. Josh and Caserio will also be willing partners.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IF I was BB...........................

2022 Keepers would be:
D. Harris
Stevenson
Strong
K. Harris
White (Only if he is 100% recovered and has close to his old speed and flexibility)

Say farewell to Montgomery and JJ Taylor. Monty was a 'just in case' signing and JJ was horrible for his few attempts in the few games he played. Defenses are faster and JJ can't hide under the OL and DL Behemoths anymore.

Bill's attempting to get younger and faster. That and he knows that D. Harris will be testing FA next spring. Expect to see him get dealt if a team loses their #1 like Tennessee did last year or Dallas two years ago. Josh and Caserio will also be willing partners.
Ordinarily I'd agree on Harris but after evaluating him, He is not going to get a huge offer. Might be affordable - then what?

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ordinarily I'd agree on Harris but after evaluating him, He is not going to get a huge offer. Might be affordable - then what?
I don't think Bill will overwhelm him and he'll get a 3 year $25M-28M offer from the Jets or Seahawks. BB won't match that. Then again, if Stevenson shines and the newbie Strong catches fire, D. Harris won't get as many carries and his value will drop somewhat.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Bill will overwhelm him and he'll get a 3 year $25M-28M offer from the Jets or Seahawks. BB won't match that. Then again, if Stevenson shines and the newbie Strong catches fire, D. Harris won't get as many carries and his value will drop somewhat.
Or they trade D Harris if a team has an injury and is willing to pay a premium for him.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There may be teams offering him that $ but I doubt it will be either the Jets or Seahawks. Both teams drafted a RB in the 2nd round. People are very high on the Seattle pick. So unless they're busts they have potential starting RBs on the cheap for the next 4 years.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What did you evaluate on him that gave you that conclusion?

Then again what defines huge?

If he plays like he has, he'll get an offer that BB won't match. BB has enough horses in the stable. Along with the new gadget WR/QBs... This should be a more passing offense then last year. Like BK mentioned he may not get as many looks, dropping his value? If D. Harris isn't a Pat next season, White long in the tooth, BB will draft another sure handed RB none of us ever heard of. Some guy with 200+ carries and 0 fumbles.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What did you evaluate on him that gave you that conclusion?

Then again what defines huge?

If he plays like he has, he'll get an offer that BB won't match. BB has enough horses in the stable. Along with the new gadget WR/QBs... This should be a more passing offense then last year. Like BK mentioned he may not get as many looks, dropping his value? If D. Harris isn't a Pat next season, White long in the tooth, BB will draft another sure handed RB none of us ever heard of. Some guy with 200+ carries and 0 fumbles.
4.57 speed
Averaged 9 games per year
Averaged 544 yards per year rushing
Averaged 64 yards per year receiving
Steven Ridley had similar numbers at this point of his career and we let him go to the Jets for $1.3 million.
He is not a bell-cow back. His stats go significantly downhill after 10-15 carries.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4.57 speed
Averaged 9 games per year
Averaged 544 yards per year rushing
Averaged 64 yards per year receiving
Steven Ridley had similar numbers at this point of his career and we let him go to the Jets for $1.3 million.
He is not a bell-cow back. His stats go significantly downhill after 10-15 carries.
Tough to use his 2019 stats or more correctly lack there of with only suited up for 2 games and 4 touches.

200 touches on a RBC last year with 15 TDs and 2 fumbles. If he has another year like that he's getting paid.

How ironic Ridley went to the Jets considering BK brought up the Jets. Ridley went on a one year prove it after a lack luster 2014 campaign with 94 rushes, 340 and 2 TDs.

As mentioned if BB limits D. Harris this season it could result in how much he could make. But, I don't see that happening. Barring injury or a BB arrogant sit him attitude the dude will make a LOT more than Ridley.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tough to use his 2019 stats or more correctly lack there of with only suited up for 2 games and 4 touches.

200 touches on a RBC last year with 15 TDs and 2 fumbles. If he has another year like that he's getting paid.

How ironic Ridley went to the Jets considering BK brought up the Jets. Ridley went on a one year prove it after a lack luster 2014 campaign with 94 rushes, 340 and 2 TDs.

As mentioned if BB limits D. Harris this season it could result in how much he could make. But, I don't see that happening. Barring injury or a BB arrogant sit him attitude the dude will make a LOT more than Ridley.
He will certainly get better offers than Ridley - even by Patriots. He was projected as an average starting back and that is what he is.
I'm just trying to be objective. Most of you guys would not like me as a GM......

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He will certainly get better offers than Ridley - even by Patriots. He was projected as an average starting back and that is what he is.
I'm just trying to be objective. Most of you guys would not like me as a GM......
I think we all are objective on here most times.

But you compared him to Ridley.

So as an average starting back does that mean he's an RB1 on teams ranked between 10 and 20?

Ridley had one year with double digit TDs (12). Take away that one year and he averaged 2 TDs a season.

Sorry I don't see the two as comparable. I don't think last season was a fluke for D. Harris.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we all are objective on here most times.

But you compared him to Ridley.

So as an average starting back does that mean he's an RB1 on teams ranked between 10 and 20?

Ridley had one year with double digit TDs (12). Take away that one year and he averaged 2 TDs a season.

Sorry I don't see the two as comparable. I don't think last season was a fluke for D. Harris.
He'll have his chance this year.
I'd be happy to be proven wrong.....

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This seemingly glowing article makes me wonder why he is even on the team!
This year's money becomes guaranteed after Jun 1st