• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Roy vs Hasek vs Brodeur

Eddie_Shack

likes oatmeal lumpy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Marty making his fifth trip to the SCF, I was wondering if this postseason has changed anyone's opinion on Brodeur? I think by now most people probably have their minds made up on the Big Three of the modern era, but if you were a Brodeur doubter before, does this do anything for you? My big knock on Marty was that he never did squat in the playoffs without Stevens or Nieds... but this spring has changed my opinion on him. I don't know if I'm vaulting him up to first, but I always saw the hierarchy as

1. Roy
1B. Hasek
1C. Brodeur

I'm still not convinced that he's "better" than Roy when it comes to playoff goalies, or that he was ever as flat out dominant as Hasek, but I do think this changes things a bit. I'm more apt to agree that all three are flat out equal, or that maybe Marty is more of a 1B... I'm sure Devils fans already believe him to be the GOAT, which I can respect of course... just wondering what your thoughts are.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Marty has always been the best to me.

3 Cups
5 appearances
2 gold medals
World Champhionship
World Cup

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
1 marty - and yes, this run has bumped him up the list. Longevity is one thing, but still setting records? amazing
2 roy - made his legend in his 10 overtime year. tarnished it by being a bitch in MTL, and the statue of liberty in COL
3 hasek - it must have hurt to play with a horseshoe up his ass for 15 years.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[YOUTUBE]YXm0HVq_7-I[/YOUTUBE]

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For me, Brodeur and Roy were more successful b/c they played for better quality teams on the whole. But I still think Hasek was the best of the three.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For me, Brodeur and Roy were more successful b/c they played for better quality teams on the whole. But I still think Hasek was the best of the three.

i dunno. that Red wings team was top to bottom full of hall of famers so its hard to imagine they were not better than Roys Habs and Avs or Marty' s Devils

IPostedWhat

I'm So High Right Now
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I tried to Vote for Hasek, but I think the poll is broke?

Last edited by a moderator:

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i dunno. that Red wings team was top to bottom full of hall of famers so its hard to imagine they were not better than Roys Habs and Avs or Marty' s Devils

Brendan Shanahan
Sergei Fedorov
Brett Hull
Nicklas Lidstrom
Steve Yzerman
Igor Larionov
Chris Chelios
Pavel Datsyuk
Dominik Hasek

Eddie_Shack

likes oatmeal lumpy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That Wings team was easily as stacked as the Avs or Devils. However he really only played three full seasons in Detroit, the last of which he was old, feeble, and battled a nagging groin injury.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Right, but he only played there, what? Essentially 3 seasons? And he won a Cup there. If I get to go back 25 years and draft one of them, I'm taking Hasek. Just my opinion. Tough to compare goalies on different teams.

Hasek did have 6 Vezinas. That's pretty insane.

Eddie_Shack

likes oatmeal lumpy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right, but he only played there, what? Essentially 3 seasons? And he won a Cup there. If I get to go back 25 years and draft one of them, I'm taking Hasek. Just my opinion. Tough to compare goalies on different teams.

That's my point, I do think he he would have retired with 3+ Cups if he spent his career in Detroit. I'm not convinced I would draft him over Brodeur or Roy, at my core I fully believe Roy is the greatest money goalie of all time. This is such a close argument that I feel no need to back up my statement or try and dissuade anyone else, all three are incredible and we are lucky to have seen them play. Brodeur's numbers speak for themselves, Hasek was so dominant during the nineties, but if I'm facing down one goalie in a game seven of the Cup finals, Roy makes me shit my pants more than anyone else.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's my point, I do think he he would have retired with 3+ Cups if he spent his career in Detroit. I'm not convinced I would draft him over Brodeur or Roy, at my core I fully believe Roy is the greatest money goalie of all time. This is such a close argument that I feel no need to back up my statement or try and dissuade anyone else, all three are incredible and we are lucky to have seen them play. Brodeur's numbers speak for themselves, Hasek was so dominant during the nineties, but if I'm facing down one goalie in a game seven of the Cup finals, Roy makes me shit my pants more than anyone else.

bang on ... and honestly its tough to rank em when the personality element wanders in to the discussion ... the douchey diva quotient is so high with Hasek and Roy

that being said ... one game ... with 2 teams equally matched ... at their prime ... I take Hasek

Eddie_Shack

likes oatmeal lumpy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
bang on ... and honestly its tough to rank em when the personality element wanders in to the discussion ... the douchey diva quotient is so high with Hasek and Roy

that being said ... one game ... with 2 teams equally matched ... I take Hasek

No need to tell a Red Wings fan about that...

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree, they all have just stellar accolades. It's just a personal preference. I understand the "clutch" argument for Roy. What I always loved about Hasek was that he made more "I can't believe he just saved that" saves than anyone else. Fastest reflexes/lateral of the 3 imo, but that doesn't always that makes you the best goalie.

I think we can agree that Brodeur wins the nicest guy of the bunch hands down.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, they all have just stellar accolades. It's just a personal preference. I understand the "clutch" argument for Roy. What I always loved about Hasek was that he made more "I can't believe he just saved that" saves than anyone else. Fastest reflexes/lateral of the 3 imo, but that doesn't always that makes you the best goalie.

I think we can agree that Brodeur wins the nicest guy of the bunch hands down.

his sister in law loved him :)

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
woulda shoulda coulda on teams they were or were not. I can't argue that no one can

to me bottom line

Most Wins All Time - 656 and counting
Most Regular Season Shutouts - 119 and counting
Most Games Played All Time by a Goaltender -1,146+ and counting
Most 30 Win Seasons - 13 and counting
Most Minutes All Time - 67.386+ and counting
Most Post-Season Shutouts - 24 and counting
3 Stanley Cups - possibly and counting
2 Gold Olympic Medals
4 Vezina Trophies
Calder Trophy
World Cup Championship Gold Medal (formerly Canada Cup)

Eddie_Shack

likes oatmeal lumpy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
woulda shoulda coulda on teams they were or were not. I can't argue that no one can

to me bottom line

Most Wins All Time - 656 and counting
Most Regular Season Shutouts - 119 and counting
Most Games Played All Time by a Goaltender -1,146+ and counting
Most 30 Win Seasons - 13 and counting
Most Minutes All Time - 67.386+ and counting
Most Post-Season Shutouts - 24 and counting
3 Stanley Cups - possibly and counting
2 Gold Olympic Medals
4 Vezina Trophies
Calder Trophy
World Cup Championship Gold Medal (formerly Canada Cup)

Roy can't hear you or read that, his Conn Smythes are stacked in front of his computer and stuck in his ears... :nod:

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems like we need to split into 3 teams to settle this...I call the Scooby-Doo team.

quoipourquoi

Did Not Fuck Leesha/Sarah
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Roy
Hasek
*other goalies*
Brodeur

Roy led the league in save percentage four times and placed top-ten fifteen times.

Hasek led the league in save percentage six times and placed top-ten eleven times.

Brodeur never led the league in save percentage and placed top-ten just six times.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Roy
Hasek
*other goalies*
Brodeur

Roy led the league in save percentage four times and placed top-ten fifteen times.

Hasek led the league in save percentage six times and placed top-ten eleven times.

Brodeur never led the league in save percentage and placed top-ten just six times.

Hasek leads in career save percentage

and if you wanna eliminate goalies who played in eras when forward passes were illegal and slap shots were punishable by death, hasek would lead in career goals against average too