• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rogers contract

Rathman44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
this may have been looked at already but i can't seem to find anything on it... what is the cap hit if we cut rogers? i think he's probably our worst contract right now (although whitner is close).

I was just curious because if it's a low cap hit then i'd like to see:
1. cut rogers at a low cap hit
2. sign sean smith with some of that space
3. cut whitner (i know that cap hit is very low)
4. hope goldson resigns (just heard a rumor that he's stalling and his true desire is to return to the niners - he's just trying to squeeze them for as much as possible. all this reed/woodson talk could be the niners posturing right back. he's such a competitive guy i think it's going to be hard for him to leave the great setup we have. Plus if he gets a couple more all-pros...people will start whispering HOF...can't underestimate his legacy possibilities in his defense. this is all wishful thinking, but you never know??)
5. replace whitner with a competition between 1st-or-2nd-round-rookie/robinson/spillman
6. draft a developmental rookie at CB

that'd leave us with smith, brown, cully, cox, brock, rookie at CB and Goldson, rookie, Robinson, Spillman at Safety. That looks really solid to me! I'd say that we could even add in Woodson if he came really cheap but I don't like the idea of adding a non-starter DB who doesn't play ST

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cutting Rogers would result in over 4M in dead money this year. It would clear up about 3M in cap space.

Cutting Haralson frees up $2,870,000.00

Last edited by a moderator:

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Haralson may be pretty important, though. We know he can hold up at OLB and give Brooks and Smith a breather. That sort of contribution would have been awfully helpful this past year, and might have made the difference in the super bowl if Aldon were playing the way he was earlier in the year. There are certainly cheaper options, and maybe Cam Johnson or Darius Fleming will be ready to step in and contribute at that backup spot, but we need someone who can actually get on the field at that position.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haralson may be pretty important, though. We know he can hold up at OLB and give Brooks and Smith a breather. That sort of contribution would have been awfully helpful this past year, and might have made the difference in the super bowl if Aldon were playing the way he was earlier in the year. There are certainly cheaper options, and maybe Cam Johnson or Darius Fleming will be ready to step in and contribute at that backup spot, but we need someone who can actually get on the field at that position.

I'm hoping for a rookie better than Cam and Darius.

Rathman44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Cutting Rogers would result in over 4M in dead money this year. It would clear up about 3M in cap space.

Cutting Haralson frees up $2,870,000.00

sorry for my cap stupidity, but can you explain why there will be a 4M hit and only 3M in space based on this: Carlos Rogers » NinerCapHell.com
Does the signing bonus get lumped into 1 year when they're cut? so the dead space would be 4.35? does the hit not get spread out to 3 years?

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sorry for my cap stupidity, but can you explain why there will be a 4M hit and only 3M in space based on this: Carlos Rogers » NinerCapHell.com
Does the signing bonus get lumped into 1 year when they're cut? so the dead space would be 4.35? does the hit not get spread out to 3 years?

Correct. If you cut pre June 1st all remaining SB hits the cap in one year.

Rathman44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know of any exceptions for 2 guys where the SB doesn't become dead money.

The only exception I know of and it is rare is the signing bonus not being evenly prorated over the years of the contract.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
couldn't find the article where i read it, so here's another example i found this morning.....

in a tweet by Panthers beat writer Joe Person, it has been reported that the Panthers have designated recently released LB James Anderson as a post-June 1st cut. This means that only $1.4M of his accelerated bonus money will count towards the 2013 salary cap, and his 2014 cap figure will be $2.8M.

It was speculated that the Panthers would just eat the entire cap hit in 2013 since it was only $4.2M, because doing so would create more cap relief in 2014 with Anderson's bonus money completely off the books. Why they decided to split the cap hit into two payments is not known at this time, though it could signal another move that the organization has yet to make.

Cutting another player is entirely possible, as the team can designate two players for post-June 1st status. There are quite a few contracts on the books that the Panthers may try to get themselves out of, so stay tuned for any updates on this situation.

so apparently you can cut two players before June 1st, and treat their contracts as if you cut them after.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
you can cut 2 players every year and their remaining SB doesn't count against the cap???

the SB never goes away, once you incur it, your cap will absorp it one way or another? but when you cut a player, you have a choice regarding how to distribute his hit? you can either take the entire cap hit in the current year OR; divide it in half and apply for current year plus next year.

the deadline for making this decision - ie when you cut a player - is June 1st.

they didn't have the two player option before (don't think?), so it came from the new CBA.