• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Right back at Jamie Danielson.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've always wanted to do this, so I will today.

So now stats tell us what team needs are and the entire story behind a season? I'm sure every team in the NFL would love if great stats meant that they could stop there and have instant success because they did the previous year. With Lions, fans and writers love to write home about the team chasing nothing but offense and there is no need for it. Both are nowhere near true.

Funny how people forget how the Lions outright fail to produce points in games that they new the most and the fact that Calvin Johnson is the entire offense. Does the sixth best offense last year automatically mean the Lions will continue doing so? This team set records in pass attempts, yet nobody considers that as having anything to do with it.

Some of us don't like the Tate signing but it was surely needed and more should come. Signing Tate didnt mean the Lions only seeked an offensive player in FA. The Lions were players for Verner and Ward when FA opened and was linked to Clemons. Is it that hard to believe those players opted for other teams or the price-tag was too steep for the Lions? I would guess there was an attemt to add to the defense.

On top of that, the Lions are attempting to resign what so many believe is the best DT in the game. How does this not apply to keeping the defense in tact? The Lions went with Ansah last year and it proved valuable. Then, they came back with Slay, who is supposed to man one side of the defense this year. Unfortunately, the Lions had to settle for a few low-priced defensive players this year, but some of that has to be contributed to the Lion savior, N. Suh for not signing a new deal as teammates Stafford and CJ did to help the team. Who knows what the team could've did with the extra space?

Fans and media would be completely unreasonable to think this team won't add some more defensive players. They only need around two or three for that matter. Some sort of combination of CB, LB or safety could be a real possibility in the first two rounds this year. If the Lions go for another WR, its because that's what they want to do but its not as if they cant still add defense. Lets see how it all plays out.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stupid auto-correct messed up his name.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This team set records in pass attempts, yet nobody considers that as having anything to do with it.

They set the passing attempts record in 2012, not last year. Detroit was actually 3rd in total offense in 2012. They were 6th in total offense this past year.

Detroit threw the ball 106 fewer times this past year.

superdave2773

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Suh is looking more and more like just a selfish dude the longer this goes on! I think hes the best dt in the game but you gotta take a stand at some point not let the dude hold you hostage, had he signed already HELL YES the fa period would have been better! he doesnt want to win just get paid! Sorry bout the wrong topic rant lol

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fans and media would be completely unreasonable to think this team won't add some more defensive players. They only need around two or three for that matter. Some sort of combination of CB, LB or safety could be a real possibility in the first two rounds this year. If the Lions go for another WR, its because that's what they want to do but its not as if they cant still add defense. Lets see how it all plays out.

I believe what fans and media want to see if a proven talent signed for the defense, instead of another weapon for the offense.

I agree they can draft defense in round 1 thru 7 in this upcoming draft, but that doesn't mean it automatically makes the defense better. You can scout, analyze and predict what a college player will do in the NFL, but until they produce on the field -- they are just a prospect.

I'm not speaking for anyone but myself here, but I would have much rather the Lions used the cap space to shore up the back 7 with a proven talent and then take my chances drafting one of the many WRs available in the upcoming draft. If the WR doesn't step in immediately and take pressure off Calvin -- Calvin has already shown it doesn't matter and he will put up monster numbers still.

On defense, if they draft an OLB, Safety and CB, and they struggle to get acclimated to the NFL. Detroit doesn't have the depth to sit the player and put in a quality replacement.

I've said from the get go -- I think Tate is a great fit for our offense. As the Freep writer said though -- How much is it really going to change the success of the offense, when you have ranked anywhere from 3rd-6th in total offense the last 3 years?

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Suh is looking more and more like just a selfish dude the longer this goes on!

As much as I hate to admit it -- I think it is looking more and more that Suh is going to test the FA waters next year and then go to the highest bidder.

The fact he went over a month without an agent before FA started and then only 3 days before hired an agent and had no talks about an extension are all signs pointing to him playing out this year, voiding his contract in the offseason and trying to get big money.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would've preferred to have a defensive player over Tate too but I think the defensive players they had interest in left for another team. Lions couldn't offer those guys big money because they don't have it and they have to sign Suh. You think these FA players aren't aware of the Lion's cap situation and how just three players are eating up the cap?

Signing Tate was probably easy given the situation. The way his contract is set up should tell us a lot about both sides.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As good as the Lions offense is, they would still lose to a good defensive team. The offense won't be as good as people claim they are until they can do it consistently and they don't have to depend so heavy on CJ. Good teams can still perform without their best players.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lions cant even make a play similar to what the Patriots did because of their top three players. Mayhew is doing what the fans want too: keeping Suh. The problem is you cant have both. We cant keep Suh and go out sign premier CBs or Safeties. We get stuck with Ihedigbo and such. Now, the team has to decide what helps them the most come draft time.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Deja vu

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rob

Add something of quality to the post. Most of what I've said here is true but people refuse to see it. We have writers writing all this crap about the team not adding defense, yet the priority is to keep Suh around. How is that not helping the defense? Why does it matter what side of the ball the team helps as long as it makes the team better?

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lions cant even make a play similar to what the Patriots did because of their top three players. Mayhew is doing what the fans want too: keeping Suh. The problem is you cant have both. We cant keep Suh and go out sign premier CBs or Safeties. We get stuck with Ihedigbo and such. Now, the team has to decide what helps them the most come draft time.

I don't know about everyone else but I'd much rather have Suh than Revis. Especially long term vs short term.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rob

Add something of quality to the post. Most of what I've said here is true but people refuse to see it. We have writers writing all this crap about the team not adding defense, yet the priority is to keep Suh around. How is that not helping the defense? Why does it matter what side of the ball the team helps as long as it makes the team better?

I don't know. I'm happy. I like Tate and I like the way things are shaping up toward the draft. Delmas was a liability and this new guy is the guy our new DC wanted so it is what it is.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe so but I'd much rather be able to have 2 or 3 good players over Suh. Lions could have Verner and Ward for the price of Suh.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lions could have Verner and Ward for the price of Suh.

Lions Lions could have Verner and Ward for the price of Suh IF both wanted to play here and not elsewhere. Even then, I'd take Suh over those two guys. Suh is elite, best of the best. Those two are good, but they aren't the best at their positions.

Suh is our entire identity. If by some chance we lost him, this team would suffer tremendously.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd take Revis and another player over Suh.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Suh is looking more and more like just a selfish dude the longer this goes on! I think hes the best dt in the game but you gotta take a stand at some point not let the dude hold you hostage, had he signed already HELL YES the fa period would have been better! he doesnt want to win just get paid! Sorry bout the wrong topic rant lol

I get how its frustrating as a fan but also understand how its a business and he deserves to get paid. How do you know the lions arent trying to lowball him? Im pretty sure thats what they did to hanson and he chose to retire. Unless you have some inside scoop on the negotiations dont be so quick to assume suh is as fault for trying to get what he deserves. You and I would do the same.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As good as the Lions offense is, they would still lose to a good defensive team. The offense won't be as good as people claim they are until they can do it consistently and they don't have to depend so heavy on CJ. Good teams can still perform without their best players.

As good as the lions offense already is they are losing to better teams because their defense isnt up to snuff. Build on the defense and the lions might contend this year. Draft offense and its going to be the same story.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless you have some inside scoop on the negotiations dont be so quick to assume suh is as fault for trying to get what he deserves.

I don't think anyone has any inside information, as Joique Bell stated in his interview, he talked with Suh and Suh stated he hasn't even discussed an extension with the Lions. So there are no negotiations to even talk about.