• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Right back at Jamie Danielson.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe what fans and media want to see if a proven talent signed for the defense, instead of another weapon for the offense.

I agree they can draft defense in round 1 thru 7 in this upcoming draft, but that doesn't mean it automatically makes the defense better. You can scout, analyze and predict what a college player will do in the NFL, but until they produce on the field -- they are just a prospect.

I'm not speaking for anyone but myself here, but I would have much rather the Lions used the cap space to shore up the back 7 with a proven talent and then take my chances drafting one of the many WRs available in the upcoming draft. If the WR doesn't step in immediately and take pressure off Calvin -- Calvin has already shown it doesn't matter and he will put up monster numbers still.

On defense, if they draft an OLB, Safety and CB, and they struggle to get acclimated to the NFL. Detroit doesn't have the depth to sit the player and put in a quality replacement.

I've said from the get go -- I think Tate is a great fit for our offense. As the Freep writer said though -- How much is it really going to change the success of the offense, when you have ranked anywhere from 3rd-6th in total offense the last 3 years?

If They hadnt signed tate they would have used another top pick to land an unproven WR. Lions fans should know by now mayhew struggles to evaluate talent at WR? How much more evidence must we see. I would much rather see him drafting defense than signing it. You state you wished the lions hadnt signed tate but then later state that you think he will be good. Is this so later when he is good you can tell us you said so? Or when the defense sucks you can say you told us we shouldnt have signed tate. Stick to a side, dont ride the fence, because you are definitely the i told you so type.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think anyone has any inside information, as Joique Bell stated in his interview, he talked with Suh and Suh stated he hasn't even discussed an extension with the Lions. So there are no negotiations to even talk about.

So really no need to call suh selfish at this point.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As good as the lions offense already is they are losing to better teams because their defense isnt up to snuff. Build on the defense and the lions might contend this year. Draft offense and its going to be the same story.

DING, DING, DING. We have a winner. Detroit already has an offense that can pile up yards and put up points. The defense is what has been lacking.

How many wins do the Lions have over teams with a winning record? Our only playoff appearance we've had -- the defense forced the Saints to punt, zero times, which is embarrassing.

Defense wins championships is how the saying goes. Detroit isn't winning a championship with the defense they put on the field. They will be entertaining to watch on offense, but entertaining doesn't mean successful.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You state you wished the lions hadnt signed tate but then later state that you think he will be good. Is this so later when he is good you can tell us you said so? Or when the defense sucks you can say you told us we shouldnt have signed tate. Stick to a side, dont ride the fence, because you are definitely the i told you so type.

I stated Tate is a good fit for the offense because......................HE IS. Do I think Detroit should have handed out a 5 year 30 million dollar deal to a #2 WR? Absolutely not.

Hell -- I think Aqib Talib would have been a great CB for Detroit or Darrell Revis, or Jarius Byrd at Safety, but no way would I want the Lions to give them the type of contracts they received.

Here is my issue:
Golden Tate's contract -- 5 years 30 million

Last year's #10 overall pick signed for 4 years -- 12.5 million.

If we draft WR at #10 overall -- we save a fortune compared to what we gave Tate. How much better can the offense get? We've been in the top 3-6 in total offense the past 3 years. We've been in the top 5 in passing the last 3 years. Our record is 21-27 in that time frame.

Put the money toward the defense and bring in a proven talent, instead of throwing money at FA's to fix the front office inept drafting ability at the skill positions.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Put the money toward the defense and bring in a proven talent, instead of throwing money at FA's to fix the front office inept drafting ability at the skill positions.

I realize it is a two way street when it comes to FA, so we have no idea if all these guys on defense just said -- screw that, i'm not going to Detroit.

That could be the case, but none of us actually know.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its funny how some of you are mislead by how good the offense seems to be. They are very good at piling up yards and such but they struggle for long periods of time and go three and out way too often. Half the games they lost, it was because the offense couldn't move the ball. CJ has to gain 2000 yards to keep them in games.

They're good but a lot of improvements could be made.

Quackerjacked

Falcon
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Almost all the losses last year can be pinned on the offense more than the defense, especially down the stretch. There were 3 games that if the offense could have scored 20 points we would have won. Then there are a few like the Bucs game that the defense did great, but the other team still had a high point total due to turnovers.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its funny how some of you are mislead by how good the offense seems to be. They are very good at piling up yards and such but they struggle for long periods of time and go three and out way too often. Half the games they lost, it was because the offense couldn't move the ball. CJ has to gain 2000 yards to keep them in games.

They're good but a lot of improvements could be made.

Ding Ding Ding! Now we actually have a winner.

I don't know what games you other guys were watching but the Offense didn't score more than 1 TD a game after T-Day. I think there was even a game where the offense gave up more points then they scored.

The offense sputtered meanwhile the defense held teams to less than 20 points a game the last 5 games except for the blizzard half in the Eagles game.

All that being said we have more holes to fill on defense then offense going forward after signing Tate and Pettigrew. We really only need 1 more WR on offense and a backup QB. Defense we need 2 LBs, 1 DE, and probably 1 more CB.

I look for us to draft mostly defense.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's why I'm confused as to why people keep saying this. I know the games I was watching, Detroit struggled on offense a lot but got it going in sports. The first half was lowsy a lot of the time.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True Old Lion.

I personally think they want to move Tate around a lot and add one more WR to that unit. Paul Richardson or Lee makes a lot of sense to me if they don't take a guy at 10.

To me, on defense, they just need the #1 CB and a OLB. Everything else is straight.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The offense sputtered meanwhile the defense held teams to less than 20 points a game the last 5 games except for the blizzard half in the Eagles game.

You mean except for the only team in the last 5 games that had any type of offense last year?

We played well against GB, who was without Aaron Rodgers and Cobb. The 28th ranked offense of the Giants? The 29th ranked offense of the Ravens? Minnesota playing without Adrian Peterson and Matt Cassell as the starting QB? Why not throw in the 32nd ranked offense of Tampa Bay too and go back 6 games.

I agree Detroit's offense, actually Stafford more than anything, played terrible down the stretch. Those wanting to talk about how the Lions defense played well -- take a look at how many games they had against teams missing keys players or just flat out terrible offenses. We had a gift wrapped schedule in 2013.

Detroit had one of the easiest schedules in the NFL last year, based on win % and we finished 7-9.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm just frustrated is all that it is. Detroit has been doing everything in their power to give Stafford all the weapons in the world, while the only spot on the defense they key on is the defensive line.

Detroit has tried to build the unstoppable offense and it has given us one playoff appearance, which the defense didn't force NO to punt a single time.

I believe Detroit has some pieces in place on defense and I believe they shut down the mediocre teams in the NFL. If Detroit gets to the playoffs though -- they aren't going to be facing mediocre teams. If the goal is to just get to the playoffs, then I think Detroit has the defense to do so and more than enough firepower on offense. If the goal is try and win a championship -- Detroit has to invest in some playmakers in the back 7.

Quackerjacked

Falcon
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our offense was in the same spot as the defense, they were awful against good teams.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its true, the offense was bad regardless of what the numbers show. Its really not hard to gain tons of yards in a game when you have some like CJ that gets chunks of yards at a time. Lets just say the offense and defense has its problems.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You mean except for the only team in the last 5 games that had any type of offense last year?

We played well against GB, who was without Aaron Rodgers and Cobb. The 28th ranked offense of the Giants? The 29th ranked offense of the Ravens? Minnesota playing without Adrian Peterson and Matt Cassell as the starting QB? Why not throw in the 32nd ranked offense of Tampa Bay too and go back 6 games.

I agree Detroit's offense, actually Stafford more than anything, played terrible down the stretch. Those wanting to talk about how the Lions defense played well -- take a look at how many games they had against teams missing keys players or just flat out terrible offenses. We had a gift wrapped schedule in 2013.

Detroit had one of the easiest schedules in the NFL last year, based on win % and we finished 7-9.

And I will agree that those offenses were not good. Conversely those teams defenses were almost as bad. 3 of those 5 teams were ranked in the high 20s and low 30s. So the offense has no excuse not to play as almost as well as the defense.

The defense did as expected. Played well against teams they should have and not so well against better teams. The offense was a hot sloppy mess the second half of the year. It did not matter who they played.

Last edited by a moderator:

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I will agree that those offenses were not good. Conversely those teams defenses were almost as bad. 3 of those 5 teams were ranked in the high 20s and low 30s. So the offense has no excuse not to play as almost as well as the defense.

NYG were 8th overall in total defense. Baltimore was 12th overall in total defense. Tampa Bay was 17th overall in total defense.

Green Bay was 25th and Detroit scored 40 on them. So can't complain too much, even though they were without their best player on defense. It was probably the best total game the Lions played, even if GB was short handed on both sides of the ball.

Philadelphia was 29th, but the game was played in an absolute blizzard and the team with the better run game was going to win and they did.

Minnesota was 31st. I'm actually glad the Lions lost this game, as it meant nothing to either team and actually ended up giving the Lions a top 10 pick in this draft.