• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Richard Sherman Threatens to End Career of Reporter During Seahawks Presser

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is what I hate about social media... As long as the Hawks are happy with the resolution internally, in the locker room, there is no need for a public apology... I would say that for any play on any time... All that matters is that the locker room is healthy... The Media has ruined this sport on so many levels...

What about a public apology to the guy who deserves it, you know the reporter?

kcden

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,680.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, you haven't listened to it? I have quite a few times. Moore's delivery was a lot less smart-ass and condescending than Sherman's, I'll tell you that.

I haven't listened to it, other than when it was on the news in the background the other day, but I have a hard time believing the bolded. Jim Moore sounds like a sarcastic, condescending asshole every time he speaks, whether he is being sarcastic or not. It's just how he talks. I go back-and-forth on how about feel about him as a reporter/talk-show host partly because of that (and his Coug-iness, but that can be entertaining). I really doubt he was just trying to get a juicy sound-bite with his questioning because I don't think that's him as a journalist, but the way he comes across (like a sarcastic ass) and the fact that he generally won't let non-answers go when he is interviewing can lead it to seem that way.

Sherman's outlash was definitely out-of-line, but even Moore thinks that it should be a non-story... unfortunately, that isn't the world we live in:

Jim Moore: Contentious exchange with Seahawks' Richard Sherman isn't a story

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't listened to it, other than when it was on the news in the background the other day, but I have a hard time believing the bolded. Jim Moore sounds like a sarcastic, condescending asshole every time he speaks, whether he is being sarcastic or not. It's just how he talks. I go back-and-forth on how about feel about him as a reporter/talk-show host partly because of that (and his Coug-iness, but that can be entertaining). I really doubt he was just trying to get a juicy sound-bite with his questioning because I don't think that's him as a journalist, but the way he comes across (like a sarcastic ass) and the fact that he generally won't let non-answers go when he is interviewing can lead it to seem that way.

Sherman's outlash was definitely out-of-line, but even Moore thinks that it should be a non-story... unfortunately, that isn't the world we live in:

If Jim Moore takes the high road it certainly doesn't take away from Sherman taking the low road. But that doesn't seem to be all he is saying in the article. The below looks like he is doubling down on how wrong Sherman was...which is of course true

The second thing that bothers me is a Stephen A. Smith video I watched this morning on ESPN.com. Smith talked to Sherman Tuesday night, and Sherman told him that he felt like I antagonized him and was more interested in sound bites than good journalism.

The opposite is true. I was just trying to figure out why Sherman did not backtrack from his criticism of the play calls last Thursday night against the Rams. Based on what Pete Carroll characterized as a good meeting with Sherman last Friday morning, I thought we’d see a contrite Sherman. And if we didn’t see full-on regret for what he said, maybe a watered-down version.

What we got was defiance and no regrets whatsoever. So I wondered why that was the case when most people thought he was out of line for questioning the play calls. If four or five questions – all of which I thought were fair enough – qualify as “antagonizing,” I don’t know what to say about that.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Jim Moore pokes fun at himself as often as anyone else on local radio here, and he's one of the more self-deprecating regulars I've heard on air. Sarcastic? Sure, but he's certainly not unique in that regard. I'm starting to think folks on this side of the mountains have a problem with him mainly because of the WSU thing.

kcden

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,680.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jim Moore pokes fun at himself as often as anyone else on local radio here, and he's one of the more self-deprecating regulars I've heard on air. Sarcastic? Sure, but he's certainly not unique in that regard. I'm starting to think folks on this side of the mountains have a problem with him mainly because of the WSU thing.

What I'm saying is that the way he speaks make it sound like he is always being sarcastic and condescending, even when he has no intention of doing so.

To jarntt's point above, Moore is doubling down on how wrong Sherman is, but his larger point is that this isn't "news". This was a side conversation (that was video'd by a 3rd party), after a press conference where an asshole spoke without thinking... something that happens all of the time in all walks of life.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone that expected more from this clown, is well.....a clown! Circus Circus! Good player, but his mouth and actions supersede his intelligence level. Just STFU and play football!

Let's not overstate his intelligence just because Stanford let him in to play football. He may be smart for a football player, but that's faint praise.

Why is Richard Sherman lying about his SAT scores? - TalkSEC [#2261775]
From his scout, rivals, and other high school recruiting profiles: Sherman reports a 3.9 GPA/990 SAT/1060 retake. So a 21 and 23 ACT equivalent. Not even close to get into Stanford. He also got a 24 on his Wonderlic which is what an average secretary would score.

Now I see many media outlets reporting he received a 1200 and all the way up to a 1400 on his SAT, or the ACT equivalent of a 31. LOL.

Why is a man with below average SAT scores, average Wonderlic, and a communications degree (while being a privileged athlete) considered "brilliant"?

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I'm saying is that the way he speaks make it sound like he is always being sarcastic and condescending, even when he has no intention of doing so.

To jarntt's point above, Moore is doubling down on how wrong Sherman is, but his larger point is that this isn't "news". This was a side conversation (that was video'd by a 3rd party), after a press conference where an asshole spoke without thinking... something that happens all of the time in all walks of life.
Yeah, I'm tracking what you're saying. Do you listen to Moore frequently? I do almost every day of the week. Maybe I've become a bit noseblind.

Yep, Moore is holding firm that Sherman was in the wrong. I'm with him on that. And I'm also following that he doesn't think it's a big story and isn't hoping the NFL does anything to Sherman, a move that I think fits my overall opinion that he's a pretty humble guy and not at all self-important.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I might be in the majority here but I like Sherman.
He's very good
He doesn't care what you think
All pro athletes exhibit "professional arrogance"

Are all of you suddenly in love with reporters? Hypocrites!!!!!

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Media has ruined this sport on so many levels...

We still talking social media? Or are we back to everyone's favorite low hanging fruit, reporter bashing?

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sherman should know by now that reporters are the guys that "make him" and "break him". His ego is no more or less scarred than theirs, but they have the audience and Sherman doesn't. Only his strongest fans will support him in a confrontation like this. The Athlete always looks like the bully or the asshole. The reporter has 35 friends and comrades standing there watching him who are just drooling at the chance to take the athlete to the woodshed. Sherman has anger issues and eventually it will kill his career.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I'm tracking what you're saying. Do you listen to Moore frequently? I do almost every day of the week. Maybe I've become a bit noseblind.

Yep, Moore is holding firm that Sherman was in the wrong. I'm with him on that. And I'm also following that he doesn't think it's a big story and isn't hoping the NFL does anything to Sherman, a move that I think fits my overall opinion that he's a pretty humble guy and not at all self-important.

How long have you been following Moore? Like most passive aggressive people, he has a aww shucks - who me? delivery. But he has a good history of rubbing people the wrong way. I really like him, I loved the Moore & Callabro show back in the day. But there is a common theme with him, he's not always as humble as he comes off. Hell, just last Thursday he posted a twitter poll about how much he couldn't stop laughing at that fake punt play, while Ryan was still laying lifeless on the ground. Could you imagine the freakout that would occur if Sherman did that during another team's prime time game?

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sherman has anger issues and eventually it will kill his career.

I was agreeing with you up until this point. Nope, injury or just physical decline will kill his career. It's not like he's some talented rookie. He's an all-pro who has led the NFL in int's since he started playing.

Again, as others have pointed out, his 'anger' isn't causing him to beat on his girlfriend, or shoot someone in a road-rage incident. He's tripping over his own dick in verbal spats with reporters.

He should be accountable for that, but 'kill his career?' Meh.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're quoting another message board as a source?

Many sites show the same numbers. 990 on the old style SAT is not impressive (or enough to get into Stanford without being a football player).

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Many sites show the same numbers. 990 on the old style SAT is not impressive (or enough to get into Stanford without being a football player).

He had over a 4 in high school, but I'm sure there's plenty of online fodder to explain away those numbers too.
'He wouldn't have been accepted in Stanford except as a football player.'

What does that mean exactly? Who SHOULD we be judging him against? Secretaries like the doofus in that link you posted? Other football players? The cream of the crop of national academics?

How about we compare his high school and university marks to say George Bush?

Would George Bush have been accepted to Yale/Harvard if he wasn't rich and had a president Daddy?

At the end of the day...

1. Sherman isn't stupid or a thug
2. Sherman isn't a Rhodes scholar.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He had over a 4 in high school, but I'm sure there's plenty of online fodder to explain away those numbers too.
'He wouldn't have been accepted in Stanford except as a football player.'

What does that mean exactly? Who SHOULD we be judging him against? Secretaries like the doofus in that link you posted? Other football players? The cream of the crop of national academics?

How about we compare his high school and university marks to say George Bush?

Would George Bush have been accepted to Yale/Harvard if he wasn't rich and had a president Daddy?

At the end of the day...

1. Sherman isn't stupid or a thug
2. Sherman isn't a Rhodes scholar.

Agreed, other than his 4+ (on a scale of 0-5) is reportedly inflated as well. Apparently Fox News reported some inflated numbers?

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many seconds went off the clock before Seattle scored against Denver in their SB a few years ago?
How many seconds did it take for Seattle to score in the second half of said SB?
How many pages in this non story thread?
Coincidence? I think not.

end/thread

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed, other than his 4+ (on a scale of 0-5) is reportedly inflated as well. Apparently Fox News reported some inflated numbers?

Well I'd take THAT as gospel.

Thank goodness Sherman isn't Asian.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And a 4 point system is now a 5 point system, if we count 0?

c'mon now.

Fun with numbers.