• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Reviewing The Westbrook Trade

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think super team necessarily carries the requirement of chasing free agents, just an overload of talent. Free agency wasn't even an option for a good chunk of NBA history.

I just can't put those Celtics teams of the 50's and 60's into a super team category. To me a super team is built though trades. The Celtics drafted their players.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,296.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Already putting in work....
20210815_214002.jpg

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just can't put those Celtics teams of the 50's and 60's into a super team category. To me a super team is built though trades. The Celtics drafted their players.
I just can't put you into the intelligent category.

First, you make a stupid statement when you apparently have zero knowledge of the 50's and 60's.
Second, the Celtics made trades for guys like Ed McAuley in the 50's.
Third, the Celtic broke the color barrier when they drafted the first black player named Chuck Cooper.
Fourth, There was no free agency, no salary cap. If you couldn't draft, you couldn't win. Drafting was the only way to build a team, Most teams back then just didn't know how to do it.

Oh yeah, I was alive and listening to the Celtics on the radio in 1955. No NBA on TV. When I read about Russell being drafted in '56 i danced around the house. When I actually met him in 1965, I leaked in my tightie whities. He came to a wedding at one of only three black families in Portland, ME.
I was the only white person there but didn't even notice until he asked me why I was there. He said to me, "You have a lot of friends here, but you'll have a hell of a lot more enemies out there." I was 15 years old and didn't have an inkling of what he meant. I learned three years later when I went into the service.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

First, you make a stupid statement when you apparently have zero knowledge of the 50's and 60's.
Third, the Celtic broke the color barrier when they drafted the first black player named Chuck Cooper.
Fourth, There was no free agency, no salary cap. If you couldn't draft, you couldn't win. Drafting was the only way to build a team, Most teams back then just didn't know how to do it.

Oh yeah, I was alive and listening to the Celtics on the radio in 1955. No NBA on TV. When I read about Russell being drafted in '56 i danced around the house. When I actually met him in 1965, I leaked in my tightie whities. He came to a wedding at one of only three black families in Portland, ME.
I was the only white person there but didn't even notice until he asked me why I was there. He said to me, "You have a lot of friends here, but you'll have a hell of a lot more enemies out there." I was 15 years old and didn't have an inkling of what he meant. I learned three years later when I went into the service.
The Wamu slander aside, this is an AMAZING post about Bill.

I have had similar experiences over the years.

Completely oblivious about being the only black person in a room until someone else mentioned it.

I also learned the same lesson in the Navy.

But, I also learned, we can tab!e our differences, at least temporarily, to focus on a bigger issue.

* Even when it's based on a lie *

Desert Storm.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You're always such a fool. And get the name right. It's Macauley not McAuley.

But I will say didn't know he was drafted by St. Louis, thought Boston drafted him.

So since you think, and I use that term think loosely with you, Red built his Celtics dynasty through trade more than the draft how many of the players were traded for (Russell doesn't count) and not drafted?

I'm not looking that info up but I'd bet the majority of the Celtics HOFers from the 50's & 60's were drafted and not traded for.

Last edited:

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, after AD and James were both hurt? Our offense was horrible.....I think Rob was focused on getting better offensively as insurance even if we fall back a little defensively, We still have some good defenders so getting stops shouldn't be an issue.

LMFAOOOO

PPhan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This did not age well
Yeah, I never believed Westbrook and LeBron would be a good fit.

He’d be a better fit with someone like KD (as proven before) or Steph Curry. Guys who don’t necessarily need to be ball dominant to score.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I never believed Westbrook and LeBron would be a good fit.

He’d be a better fit with someone like KD (as proven before) or Steph Curry. Guys who don’t necessarily need to be ball dominant to score.

Except Russ wasn’t a good fit with KD. He routinely took the ball out of KD’s hands in the biggest moments.

To a certain extent Steph and KD can both fit with ANYBODY. But that is more about their games than it is about Russ.

And even then, Russ isn’t the ideal paring for either.

PPhan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Except Russ wasn’t a good fit with KD. He routinely took the ball out of KD’s hands in the biggest moments.

To a certain extent Steph and KD can both fit with ANYBODY. But that is more about their games than it is about Russ.

And even then, Russ isn’t the ideal paring for either.
I agree with you.

I also meant to quote another post from earlier mentioning that if anybody could play with Westbrook it’d be LeBron and my reply was mostly meant for that post.

Though not ideal, KD and Steph can deal with it easier than a LeBron or Doncic can.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with you.

I also meant to quote another post from earlier mentioning that if anybody could play with Westbrook it’d be LeBron and my reply was mostly meant for that post.

Though not ideal, KD and Steph can deal with it easier than a LeBron or Doncic can.
I said this earlier, it's kind of sad with Westbrook. All that heart and drive but his game just doesn't fit well with other stars. Kind of Iverson-esque

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I said this earlier, it's kind of sad with Westbrook. All that heart and drive but his game just doesn't fit well with other stars. Kind of Iverson-esque

It will be interesting to see how the next generation of stars develop.

On ball skill sets have been king in basketball development for a long time now. Really since the Jordan era.

Maybe Curry and Durant have shifted the thinking a bit?

You still have to be able to perform with the ball in your hands to be a great player.

But to be a great teammate, you really have to be able to perform away from the ball too.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It will be interesting to see how the next generation of stars develop.

On ball skill sets have been king in basketball development for a long time now. Really since the Jordan era.

Maybe Curry and Durant have shifted the thinking a bit?

You still have to be able to perform with the ball in your hands to be a great player.

But to be a great teammate, you really have to be able to perform away from the ball too.
Another sort of "hidden" reason Curry is great, he's as good running around without the ball as he is on ball

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another sort of "hidden" reason Curry is great, he's as good running around without the ball as he is on ball
that little fucker is so lucky he didnt play in the late 80's/ 90's.