• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Reviewing The Westbrook Trade

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Los Angeles Times had an interesting article about this one. Lebron James and Anthony Davis met with Westbrook last week and discussed the possibility of this trade and if they could play together which some have suggested is not possible. They all agreed that they would put their egos aside and learn to work together which means we will see something different.

Westbrook talked about wanting a championship and wanting to come home(Los Angeles) to do it. Westbrook let James know that he doesn't mind playing off the ball when James initiates the offense which he did when playing with Harden(the article says that anyway)

When Harden initiates the offense, Davis suggested that he should move to the center position an and left Lebron play the power forward position. In my opinion, this would eliminate the Lakers need to a legitimate center and Davis has proven to be more effective in that position and would make the Lakers a really tough team to beat

This also means that the Lakers don't need Schroder according to the article - I personally believe the Lakers still need him and either play him as shooting guard or do a sign and trade for a legitimate shooting guard. The bench also seems to be little weak now and the Lakers will need to resign - Tucker, Caruso and should try to keep Drummond if possible

The part I will be interested in seeing is if they can really put their egos aside.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,551.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Harden? He doesn't play for the Lakers.

:scratch:

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,551.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The bench seems to be a little weak? There is no bench right now!!!!

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Los Angeles Times had an interesting article about this one. Lebron James and Anthony Davis met with Westbrook last week and discussed the possibility of this trade and if they could play together which some have suggested is not possible. They all agreed that they would put their egos aside and learn to work together which means we will see something different.

Westbrook talked about wanting a championship and wanting to come home(Los Angeles) to do it. Westbrook let James know that he doesn't mind playing off the ball when James initiates the offense which he did when playing with Harden(the article says that anyway)

When Harden initiates the offense, Davis suggested that he should move to the center position an and left Lebron play the power forward position. In my opinion, this would eliminate the Lakers need to a legitimate center and Davis has proven to be more effective in that position and would make the Lakers a really tough team to beat

This also means that the Lakers don't need Schroder according to the article - I personally believe the Lakers still need him and either play him as shooting guard or do a sign and trade for a legitimate shooting guard. The bench also seems to be little weak now and the Lakers will need to resign - Tucker, Caruso and should try to keep Drummond if possible

The part I will be interested in seeing is if they can really put their egos aside.

They absolutely cannot resign Drummond. He clogs the lane and doesn’t have the basketball IQ to effectively relocate and get out of the way when others drive.

And Schroeder is a horrible fit with Russ and LeBron. Already 2 highly ball dominant ball handlers. Can’t add a 3rd.

They need shooters. Literally every player they sign should be able to shoot the ball. Even the bigs they get.

Right now, it isn’t about adding the most talented players available. It is about adding the guys that fit best.

That means shooting, defense, and guys who don’t need the ball in their hands.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They absolutely cannot resign Drummond. He clogs the lane and doesn’t have the basketball IQ to effectively relocate and get out of the way when others drive.

And Schroeder is a horrible fit with Russ and LeBron. Already 2 highly ball dominant ball handlers. Can’t add a 3rd.

They need shooters. Literally every player they sign should be able to shoot the ball. Even the bigs they get.

Right now, it isn’t about adding the most talented players available. It is about adding the guys that fit best.

That means shooting, defense, and guys who don’t need the ball in their hands.
The article mentioned that the Lakers would be looking for shooters - especially at the three point shot and perimeter shooting to help with the spacing - They will need to sign Schroder though in order to get the shooting guard and outside shooting they need. They most likely don't need Drummond since Davis will play the Center more.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The article mentioned that the Lakers would be looking for shooters - especially at the three point shot and perimeter shooting to help with the spacing - They will need to sign Schroder though in order to get the shooting guard and outside shooting they need. They most likely don't need Drummond since Davis will play the Center more.

Schroeder is not a shooting guard, he is ball dominant, he doesn’t shoot all that well and he causes locker room drama.

If they can use him to complete a sign and trade for a guy like Hield, then great.

But they cannot have him on the roster next year. Terrible fit.

Reactions: DJ

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Schroeder is not a shooting guard, he is ball dominant, he doesn’t shoot all that well and he causes locker room drama.

If they can use him to complete a sign and trade for a guy like Hield, then great.

But they cannot have him on the roster next year. Terrible fit.
I think they need Schroder for a sign and trade - Didn't think he would remain an option for the team unless he came off the bench and he was wanting too much money several months ago - so I think the Lakers was looking at other options. He really wasn't a good fit this last season. I have a hard time seeing Sacrament being willing to trade Buddy for Schroder and I have a harder time seeing Schroder wanting to go Sacramento. The Lakers will most likely look for their younger role players to fill in or trade for a legit shooting guard from the draft.

Batman

Hoopla Cash
$ 980.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LeBron is all about offensive efficiency and smart team basketball.
Russ will need to stop taking the kinds of shots that he hits at a poor rate.
And he will need to cut back on turnovers.

Career eFG%
L James----------54.3
R Westbrook----46.7

2020-21 eFG%
L James---------57.6
R Westbrook---47.4

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Russ is a pretty old dog... hard to hold out hope that he will learn new tricks.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Russ is a pretty old dog... hard to hold out hope that he will learn new tricks.
The tricks he knows are helpful to LA. These are the best players in the world, they know how to adjust.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 142,300.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t know how to get the stats but I watched Westbrook for a lot of years. His shooting percentage as a catch and shoot guy was much better than when he had the ball in his hands. I don’t think they will play that way much but Westbrook may be the most freak athlete to ever play in the league. If he truly wants to adapt he can.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The tricks he knows are helpful to LA. These are the best players in the world, they know how to adjust.
Going by what you say here, there are never any bad fits and things always work out.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And he has already agreed to adjust, All three of these players have discussed it and agreed to adjust.. That's the reason the Lakers can make this happen

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And he has already agreed to adjust, All three of these players have discussed it and agreed to adjust.. That's the reason the Lakers can make this happen
Agreeing to do something is different than doing it but we did see RW do this in Houston but can he be more consistent is the question. Like I said before, having Lebron is the best player possible bc he makes everyone better and RW will now be a #3, something he has never done in his career. Could help him or hurt him, I lean towards he can thrive but the rest of the roster is bigger question mark than RW’s fit imo

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t know how to get the stats but I watched Westbrook for a lot of years. His shooting percentage as a catch and shoot guy was much better than when he had the ball in his hands. I don’t think they will play that way much but Westbrook may be the most freak athlete to ever play in the league. If he truly wants to adapt he can.

Last 3 season 3 PT% on Catch and Shoot

18-19 - 32.1%
19-20 - 29.1%
20-21 - 35.6%

Last year was definitely much better. But the two previous seasons looked well below league average even on catch and shoot.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well shit, they talked about it.

Go ahead and give them the O'Brien trophy now.

:rolleyes:... :D

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 142,300.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last 3 season 3 PT% on Catch and Shoot

18-19 - 32.1%
19-20 - 29.1%
20-21 - 35.6%

Last year was definitely much better. But the two previous seasons looked well below league average even on catch and shoot.
Yeah I wasn’t necessarily talking about just 3s, if Russ never shot another 3 he would be better off. I used to get so pissed off because he can literally get to the rim any time he wants.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have absolutely no doubt that Russ helps the Lakers immensely during the regular season. He helps them navigate the grind of having an older Lebron and an injury plagued AD. Russ will bring a lot of value here and help them from falling into deep holes if either goes down or misses a game or two due to injury/rest.

But the playoffs is where it'll cause the biggest problems. When teams can game plan for a full 7 game set, how will the Lakers adjust? The same game plan against him will be used. Make him a volume shooter and stay at home against Lebron and AD. Russ played, IMO, some of the best basketball of his career last year. Just depends which version of him you get.