• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Reviewing The Westbrook Trade

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I wasn’t necessarily talking about just 3s, if Russ never shot another 3 he would be better off. I used to get so pissed off because he can literally get to the rim any time he wants.

Yeah, it's tough because when you look at the volume, catch and shoot 2's are less than 10 a year, lol. But that's kind of to be expected. You don't see many catch and shoot mid ranges these days. So most of the volume you'll see on the catch and shoot chart would be 3's. But that's in essence what the Lakers will be asking of him.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The tricks he knows are helpful to LA. These are the best players in the world, they know how to adjust.
This is his fourth team in four years.... that basically just screams that he isn't going to adjust to anything.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreeing to do something is different than doing it but we did see RW do this in Houston but can he be more consistent is the question. Like I said before, having Lebron is the best player possible bc he makes everyone better and RW will now be a #3, something he has never done in his career. Could help him or hurt him, I lean towards he can thrive but the rest of the roster is bigger question mark than RW’s fit imo
Well, atleast he is willing to try and he is the one who asked for this trade. I am not suggesting the Lakers will win, just that they can win. I don't make predictions this early and are some really good teams now

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is his fourth team in four years.... that basically just screams that he isn't going to adjust to anything.
He already said he would. You aren't a mind reader and don't know what he is thinking

Batman

Hoopla Cash
$ 980.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Take a look a Westbrooks shot chart... Russell Westbrook Shot Chart 2021 | StatMuse

If he reduces his attempts and shoots mostly from his good spots, his shooting efficiancy should improve substantially.

The Lakers don't need Westbrook to take a ton of shots.
They need him to take efficient shots, take some of the ball-handling load off of Lebron, give good effort on defense and continue to be himself in playmaking and rebounding.

Can those three make it work? For sure.
WIll they? I lean yes.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Take a look a Westbrooks shot chart... Russell Westbrook Shot Chart 2021 | StatMuse

If he reduces his attempts and shoots mostly from his good spots, his shooting efficiancy should improve substantially.

The Lakers don't need Westbrook to take a ton of shots.
They need him to take efficient shots, take some of the ball-handling load off of Lebron, give good effort on defense and continue to be himself in playmaking and rebounding.

Can those three make it work? For sure.
WIll they? I lean yes.

Exactly. They still need perimeter help, but Westbrook being more efficient would help a great deal.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He already said he would. You aren't a mind reader and don't know what he is thinking

There's saying he'll do it. Then there's actually doing it. Especially when you're a player who's used to being the guy who takes over late in close games.

I have no doubt that Westbrook will try very hard to stick to what he said and that, for the most part, he very likely will.

What concerns a lot of folks, myself included, is...what happens in the playoffs when they're in an elimination game and the score is close? That's when it will be difficult for him to not play hero ball.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's saying he'll do it. Then there's actually doing it. Especially when you're a player who's used to being the guy who takes over late in close games.

I have no doubt that Westbrook will try very hard to stick to what he said and that, for the most part, he very likely will.

What concerns a lot of folks, myself included, is...what happens in the playoffs when they're in an elimination game and the score is close? That's when it will be difficult for him to not play hero ball.
We will have to see, but none of this goes well if the Lakers don't pick up some outside shooters for the spacing. I am well aware that what people say and do are different. I am just saying that it sounds better having heard the dude will try to adjust, but old habits die hard ..like those apple empañadas Taco Bell used to sell, but they got the Nacho Fries back for now

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He said he will and may even try hard as hell ....My prediction is he won't. Changing the way he plays after all this time is too hard even if he wants to.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He said he will and may even try hard as hell ....My prediction is he won't. Changing the way he plays after all this time is too hard even if he wants to.

I'm cautiously optimistic. Playing alongside Harden he did show that he could do well as a #2. With the Wizards and Beal, he showed he could share the spotlight.

But, with the Lakers, he'll be the #3 option much of the time. That's the role he has to accept for this to truly work and that's the part that is concerning.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,871.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think it's a humbling experience to play on as many teams as he has over the last 4 years....I think he really wants to win a title and will adjust. And like I posted in the offseason thread.....I think James takes the Bosh role on this team where he sacrifices the most at age 37 to take a load off and make his career last longer.....

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it is a massive gamble. Westbrook has never shown any signs he is willing to change who he is. Rockets are probably the closest he came to fitting in, but got derailed by covid and we never got to see it.

Rockets also dumped Capela so they could add a center that would not clog the lane, giving westbrook room. James and Davis can step out, but is that best for them? Lakers depleted their support on a massive gamble, it will be a fun year seeing if it pans out.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I don't care what others think really

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
40,000 post says you can't get enough of what others think.
You sound like a hater who is trying wish bad luck on the Lakers. Your tears of sorrow are precious to us Lakers Fans

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You sound like a hater who is trying wish bad luck on the Lakers. Your tears of sorrow are precious to us Lakers Fans

Wtf are you talking about. He expressed the same concerns that just about everyone has expressed. Can Westbrook play most of the time as a 3rd option? It's not "wishing bad luck on the Lakers". It's raising a legit question/concern.