• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

REPORT: Redskins Could Trade Kirk Cousins To Either Browns or 49ers

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol at anyone willing ot pay Cousins a top 3 QB contract.

Again - QB contracts are as much or more a factor of timing & not simply stating that the QB is one of the top QBs in the NFL. A contract that might land Cousins in the top 5 for QB pay may not even be in the top 10-15 several years from now. Also - the overall contract amt is not the big deal - it is more a matter of guaranteed money. We will see.

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cousins is Andy Dalton. Give him a ton of weapons and he's fine. He won't carry a team, won't win you games himself and isn't worth a huge contract. Can't let him hold you back by taking to much money. He will keep you in QB purgatory for years. Plus you all have to, you know get him more weapons.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is not a discount - it is simply not asking for the sky. Heck the 49ers probably also don't want to break the bank (in terms of $$ & draft picks) to get Cousins since they have numerous areas to address. His deal will be much bigger than Osweiler ($37 M guaranteed) but again certainly not the amt of Luck at least in terms of guaranteed money. I think that a figure between those two certainly is fair & should be agreeable to both parties.

Luck got 80M guaranteed. So 60M would be the middle. Plus it depends on if he signs a 5 or 7 year deal. I wou;d want a 5 year deal.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Percentage of the cap and how the contract is structured (exits) will be the keys for the skins FO. Guarantees and number of years in terms of security the key for Cuz. Cuz has said its the percentage of cap (including estimates of cap growth) that his agent is focusing on. Personally hope a LTD is inked well before July 1 myself.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Luck got 80M guaranteed. So 60M would be the middle. Plus it depends on if he signs a 5 or 7 year deal. I wou;d want a 5 year deal.

Yep - that sounds about rt (although I thought it was $87M) & is fair. Cousins is not worthy of getting more than $80M in guaranteed money & I am pretty sure that he won't get that from anyone.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cousins is Andy Dalton. Give him a ton of weapons and he's fine. He won't carry a team, won't win you games himself and isn't worth a huge contract. Can't let him hold you back by taking to much money. He will keep you in QB purgatory for years. Plus you all have to, you know get him more weapons.

He needs a few more one and done efforts in the playoffs before I'm ready to agree 100% but I'm with you.

At the same time, there's like 4 of those guys in the NFL, so they're not the measuring stick when it comes to the money they make. They should be, but they're not....QB is a stats position now...if you can put up numbers and win games during the reg. season you will get the big check.

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and rightfully so cause no other position in all of sports requires more than NFL QB.
If you can't win in the playoffs, I don't want you on my team costing me a ton of money. It's that simple. I'd rather be 3-13 trying to find a real franchise QB than between 7-9 and 9-7 every year and never winning anything.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you can't win in the playoffs, I don't want you on my team costing me a ton of money. It's that simple. I'd rather be 3-13 trying to find a real franchise QB than between 7-9 and 9-7 every year and never winning anything.

Because that true franchise QB is such a rare bird, you could be bad for decades...most likely what will happen is the guy you think will be a real franchise QB will get you to that 9-7 10-6, maybe 11-5 type record and what you build around him will determine their fate from there.

What I want is a QB that gives my team a chance every year to win the DIV...if I get that guy, it's up to the GM/HC to finish the puzzle.

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
just wishful thinking by browns/niners:suds:

Redskins team president Bruce Allen was adamant on Tuesday that free agent Kirk Cousins isn't going anywhere.

Allen said that on a 1-10 scale -- 10 being the highest -- the odds of Cousins staying in Washington were a 10. "Yeah. Kirk is our quarterback," Allen said. "He's played well the last two years. I know there's other speculation, but it doesn't come from the Redskins." The "speculation" is that the 49ers might make a run at Cousins whenever Kyle Shanahan is named their head coach. Shanahan coached Cousins in D.C., and San Francisco needs a quarterback. Unfortunately for them, it doesn't sound like Cousins is getting out of Washington

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see any team giving up the equivalent of 2000+ Draft Chart points for an average QB on a 1 year $24M contract. More fool them if they do.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Skins are screwed here.

Cousins is a decent player......but IMO he's JAG. I think the Dalton comparisons are dead on. He NEEDS talent to succeed. The problem is you are going to have to overpay him to keep him......and they'll have to let other players go.

So when the talent level drops, WHO is going to pick up the pace and lead the team? It won't be Cousins.....as we saw these last two years. He can only take you so far.

So the decision becomes, do we resign this above average guy to a ton of money and remain mediocre, or do we let him walk, trust our scouts and coaches to replace him and sign a more talented team?

Ultimately I think teams really have to stop paying these QBs these kinds of contracts overall, it's not good for the league or the teams. It hamstrings everyone.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Skins are screwed here.

Cousins is a decent player......but IMO he's JAG. I think the Dalton comparisons are dead on. He NEEDS talent to succeed. The problem is you are going to have to overpay him to keep him......and they'll have to let other players go.

So when the talent level drops, WHO is going to pick up the pace and lead the team? It won't be Cousins.....as we saw these last two years. He can only take you so far.

So the decision becomes, do we resign this above average guy to a ton of money and remain mediocre, or do we let him walk, trust our scouts and coaches to replace him and sign a more talented team?

Ultimately I think teams really have to stop paying these QBs these kinds of contracts overall, it's not good for the league or the teams. It hamstrings everyone.

Bullshit. First of all they have a lot of cap money even if they extend Cousins. Cousins has also indicated that he is willing to renegotiate in future years to help them in this area. Cousins also has room to improve & I feel confident that he will. No he won't be another Brees or Brady, but he is good enough to get them back to the playoffs especially if he gets some help on defense & in the running game (both of which should start happening next season to a degree). Beyond that - who knows, but a lot is possible in the NFL.

Keep dreaming about not paying QBs big money - ain't happening. They are the common factor in what helps a team win a SB (with rare exceptions).

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bullshit. First of all they have a lot of cap money even if they extend Cousins. Cousins has also indicated that he is willing to renegotiate in future years to help them in this area. Cousins also has room to improve & I feel confident that he will. No he won't be another Brees or Brady, but he is good enough to get them back to the playoffs especially if he gets some help on defense & in the running game (both of which should start happening next season to a degree). Beyond that - who knows, but a lot is possible in the NFL.

Keep dreaming about not paying QBs big money - ain't happening. They are the common factor in what helps a team win a SB (with rare exceptions).
Good post.
Nothing worse than fans that put labels on players. Week to week league and most certainly year to year

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a bears fam hoping to get Allen in the draft, I do not approve of this move.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't disagree. But unless you have a top end QB, then you're overpaying for losing. Which is what the Skins will do with Cousins.

He's not an upper echelon QB. He's a mid tier guy. He NEEDS a lot of help......he isn't going to carry the team on his own.

These are not the guys you throw money at........and you can talk cap room all you want, but he'll take up the majority of it and we all know the Skins LOOOOOOVE to spend money.

As far as QB contracts go, I'd like to see teams in general decide that paying everyone on the team matters. We both know it won't happen, but if the Luck deal is the new standard, EVERYONE is screwed. Luck won't ever have any help unless they draft it and win on rookie deals.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've just read through this whole post and, as someone who lives in northern VA and listens to Redskins radio every morning, here are my takes on it all:

1.) If the Skins tag Cousins again, that would be a huge mistake. Tag him one more time, they get nothing when he leaves (which he most assuredly will). Then they are faced with a good, not great, record and drafting in the middle rounds instead of at the top to get that next franchise QB.

2.) Some of you think that trading Cousins for two first rounder would be a great idea. Think big picture, though: You are trading a QB who is already breaking team passing records, who is better than over half the QBs in the league, for first round picks that would most likely be used on unproven, rookie QBs. Skins' record will suffer as the rookie QB is groomed, which means it's doubtful Gruden and his staff are around another one or two years during all of that, thus setting back the process even further.

3.) Sure, Cousins might want to be the highest paid QB in the league, but in a year or two, someone will pass that mark. Some of you insinuate that he's just a mediocre QB, but I disagree. The only QBs I would take over Cousins right now are Brady, Brees, Rodgers, Carr, Ryan, Big Ben and Newton. He's a top ten QB in the league right now and you can't win without a decent QB.

4.) Yes, two of Cousins' weapons are FAs. If the Skins were smart, I would re-sign Garcon and tell D-Jax "vaya con dios." Aside from the occasional big catch, he just doesn't bring as much to the table as was believed (aside from questionable return skills).

5.) Skins need to sign Cousins ASAP and get back to work in fixing the real issue with the team: Defense. The LBs and entire secondary are one big dumpster fire. That's going to take a lot of work to get that done and it will be difficult to lure free agents if they can't get the QB under contract.

Just my two (five) cents!

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even if they let Cousins go and grab some other average or below average guy with upside (Glennon?), if that moves succeeds, then THAT QB will be up for a raise. You can't continually chase cheaper options and keep any team continuity, necessary for consistently winning.

Cousins is their guy, and they'll pay him as they have to. Options from the college ranks will more often than not be spread guys that require a learning curve, so the draft is not going to offer many quick fixes either.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trading KC would be a mistake. Pay him and put a supporting cast around him on offense and rebuild the D. Trading him and hoping to draft a QB that is ready to play come week 1 is no guarantee.