• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Report: Patriots used deflated balls

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...and that said team in question has cheated before.

NEPatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do we have any science geeks on here who may be able to confirm or discredit this post from another site I follow?

"Volume being constant, (along with n and R) the change in pressure is proportional to the change in temp, so P2=P1(T2/T1). A 12.5 psi ball at 70F would be roughly 8.9 psi at 50f."

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you're OK with in game cheating. :pound:

A lineman doesn't think to himself man I'm going to hold this guy on this play it happens it's part of the game he gets flagged move on. You are the most ridiculous poster on these boards...

NEPatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it was something big like this yes absolutely but be realistic no one's going after jersey tugs. You need to learn how to compare apples to apples....and play a game fair and square.

The point being that you are OK with certain types of cheating/rule violations. And you are against certain other ones, particularly if the name Patriots happens to be involved. :pound:

BobGnarly

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The point being that you are OK with certain types of cheating/rule violations. And you are against certain other ones, particularly if the name Patriots happens to be involved. :pound:

No he's against deliberate cheating and altering game equipment. Are you really comparing holding to this?

Mondo Jay

Wine Mafia
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,690.94
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CNN was interviewing Fran Tarkington about the cheating Pats and he was going off about PEDs. Clearly Brady is so roided up he is squeezing the life out of these balls.

Also, CNN must be run by bitter Bronco fans. :noidea:

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do we have any science geeks on here who may be able to confirm or discredit this post from another site I follow?

"Volume being constant, (along with n and R) the change in pressure is proportional to the change in temp, so P2=P1(T2/T1). A 12.5 psi ball at 70F would be roughly 8.9 psi at 50f."

A couple different science people tackled the weather factor in deflate-gate using scientific formulas...

One came up with a max differnece of 0.4 psi
The other included more than just temperature (barometric pressure etc) and came up with a max difference of 0.7 psi.

Still far away from the reported difference of 2.0 psi (just a report at this point)

bocomo007

Just some guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All teams are cheaters. Ever see a play where a player commits a hold and it's not called?

It's simply a perspective issue. If the Patriots hadn't been so successful the last 15 years this story would be back page material. In fact the opposing team likely wouldn't have even notified the league.

how in the hell is that even remotely similar

:L

bocomo007

Just some guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So explain to the class which rules are OK to break and which ones are not.

Is it OK for a defender to tug at a receivers jersey? Happens all the time and often isn't seen by the officials though we can see it on replay during the game.

Where exactly is the line of tolerance of breaking of the rules? Please tell us all.

give it up, you homer

one is a calculated, premeditated move done in secret against the rules

one is an actual part of playing the game

Mondo Jay

Wine Mafia
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,690.94
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
how in the hell is that even remotely similar

:L

th

BoBlake

Hoopla Cash
$ 937.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Comparing penalties/rules is kind of like equating these two statements:

I'm support with people breaking the law and going 10mph over the speed limit. Therefore, I support people murdering children in front of their parents. If it's ok to break one law, then it's ok to break another.

BobGnarly

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So the colts weren't deflated at all, only the Pats. What a joke of an org

Last edited by a moderator:

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't disagree but at the same time if you add all of this up could this have been enough for the ravens to win that game? I have no doubt that the colts were frauds and would have had their ass handed to them either way. So all in all this ruins the integrity of the game which pisses me off more than anything. Let the teams win it on the field not in board room...

The Ravens lost the game on defensive confusion on some key plays and Flacco making some uncharacteristic mistakes. Even though it was wrong I don't think the deflated balls really were a factor.

Were there any big returns or bad kicks? I don't remember any.

NEPatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No he's against deliberate cheating and altering game equipment. Are you really comparing holding to this?

So for the sake of debate what rules are OK to break, and which ones are not? Where is the line drawn, since they are all in the same manual.

The example given was tugging a person's jersey, something that is taught at every level and is against the rules at every level.

Basically what is being argued is that some rules are OK to break and others are not. Once you go down that road you end up a hypcrite.

If you are OK with some being broken and only a concern when caught, then you end up going down a road where you have to list the level of importance of each, and in the case of a ball being off slightly in pressure it falls into a lower category of importance.

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So explain to the class which rules are OK to break and which ones are not.

Is it OK for a defender to tug at a receivers jersey? Happens all the time and often isn't seen by the officials though we can see it on replay during the game.

Where exactly is the line of tolerance of breaking of the rules? Please tell us all.

Well clearly if some player tugs a jersey, jumps offside, or something in the heat of the moment it is far different than a team setting out in advance, planning, and tampering with 11 out of 12 footballs in an attempt to gain an advantage. One is premeditated and the other foul is within the moment in a game. I'm sure you can see the difference but are just defending your team.

NEPatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Comparing penalties/rules is kind of like equating these two statements:

I'm support with people breaking the law and going 10mph over the speed limit. Therefore, I support people murdering children in front of their parents. If it's ok to break one law, then it's ok to break another.

Penalties are for breaking rules as outlined in the NFL rule book, the same rule book that contains the rule for the game balls.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So for the sake of debate what rules are OK to break, and which ones are not? Where is the line drawn, since they are all in the same manual.

The example given was tugging a person's jersey, something that is taught at every level and is against the rules at every level.

Basically what is being argued is that some rules are OK to break and others are not. Once you go down that road you end up a hypcrite.

If you are OK with some being broken and only a concern when caught, then you end up going down a road where you have to list the level of importance of each, and in the case of a ball being off slightly in pressure it falls into a lower category of importance.

The line is obvious to anyone who isn't either an idiot or playing dumb for the purpose of attempting to make a point.

It doesn't need to be strictly defined or discussed at length because everyone on this thread, including you, knows exactly where it is.

BobGnarly

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:pound: Only pats fans can compare holding and tampering with game equipment and see nothing wrong. One is premeditated, the other is not. I doubt linemen are going into every play planning to hold.

NEPatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well clearly if some player tugs a jersey, jumps offside, or something in the heat of the moment it is far different than a team setting out in advance, planning, and tampering with 11 out of 12 footballs in an attempt to gain an advantage. One is premeditated and the other foul is within the moment in a game. I'm sure you can see the difference but are just defending your team.

So tugging a receivers jersey throughout the game to gain an advantage is less of importance than a small difference in ball pressure? Do you actually think it has less effect on any given play?

The point is the rules are broken all the time, and yes some aren't really that big of a deal.

By the way tugging a players jersey is coached at all levels, as in setting out in advance, planning, etc.

It's only a big story because of the team it involves.