• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Report: Patriots used deflated balls

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
gohusk

I wonder if they had them right at the low end of the limit after filling them up with hotter air or something right before they tested them and then let the conditions do the rest.

Godstree

Since this is the first game ever played in the cold, I am sure they never thought of something like this happening.

You are totally correct GT.............
And the other question that should be brought up then,why was it only the Pats balls that were deflated?
Wouldn`t the difference in temperatures tamper with Indys balls too?

(don`t mind the quotes.For some odd reason it would not let me multi quote........sorry)

You don't know the protocol. If you fill them right at 12.5 at a comfortable room temperature then there's going to be a pressure loss due to the loss in heat. It's a matter of how much.

And BTW, what I was actually suggesting in my original post was that they filled them with heated air (like 130 degrees or something) right before they were measured figuring that a couple of hours out in the cold would do the rest. But like I said, let's wait until they come back with their findings. It's a straight forward calculation and I'm sure they're going to be able to figure out what the ball pressure was under acceptable conditions. They could use the colts balls as the control if they have them and know the exact readings. But feel free to gloss over science. 85% of the legal low end is obviously a lot but I'll wait until they come back.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
gohusk

I wonder if they had them right at the low end of the limit after filling them up with hotter air or something right before they tested them and then let the conditions do the rest.

Godstree

Since this is the first game ever played in the cold, I am sure they never thought of something like this happening.

And the other question that should be brought up then,why was it only the Pats balls that were deflated?

(don`t mind the quotes.For some odd reason it would not let me multi quote........sorry)

I thought of this too, but that begs the question, what were the conditions that the NFL tested them under? Game time, 45-50 degrees? Or ambient room temp usually about 70 degrees? There is about a 1 psi drop per 10 degree drop, but there is also a corrosponding rise as well, unless there is a loss of volume.

That's on tires which are 35-50 PSI though that have a completely different shape. It doesn't look good but I'll wait for what the league says.

NEPatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
gohusk

Godstree

I thought of this too, but that begs the question, what were the conditions that the NFL tested them under? Game time, 45-50 degrees? Or ambient room temp usually about 70 degrees? There is about a 1 psi drop per 10 degree drop, but there is also a corrosponding rise as well, unless there is a loss of volume.

Do we know at this point if the Colts balls were also seized and measured? This is particularly important if you want the testing to be accurate and fair.

The other thing I've noticed throughout today is how it was reported that 11 tested below the league minimum and that one was as much as 2 lbs below, it's now being talked as if all the balls were below by 2 lbs each.

At this point it could be that they were of varying amounts below which would be consistent with weather and usage droppage in the overall inflation that was started with.

Ultimately because it involves the Patriots it's blown into stratosphere importance level, while any other team it would get only a few mentions on sports sites.

BoBlake

Hoopla Cash
$ 937.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Seattle players and fans may not care now but in terms of legacy their win would be diminished. Right?

A punishment focused purely on the Patriots as I said would hurt them just as significantly without pulling the rest of the league down the same path.

As a Seattle fan, I very much care about the Pats being a full strength (players and coaches) when they play the Superbowl. If Seattle wins the game, I don't want any doubt cast down as to why.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,229.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don't know the protocol. If you fill them right at 12.5 at a comfortable room temperature then there's going to be a pressure loss due to the loss in heat. It's a matter of how much.

And BTW, what I was actually suggesting in my original post was that they filled them with heated air (like 130 degrees or something) right before they were measured figuring that a couple of hours out in the cold would do the rest. But like I said, let's wait until they come back with their findings. It's a straight forward calculation and I'm sure they're going to be able to figure out what the ball pressure was under acceptable conditions. They could use the colts balls as the control if they have them and know the exact readings. But feel free to gloss over science. 85% of the legal low end is obviously a lot but I'll wait until they come back.

:nod:
All they have to do is get back tnose balls..............But hey,who knows it maybe too late for several reasons now.

00673e76abee1c9403d1f7c07e4d37cac42567d0bf0b4aba03cb56932d93ccbe.jpg

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do we know at this point if the Colts balls were also seized and measured? This is particularly important if you want the testing to be accurate and fair.

The other thing I've noticed throughout today is how it was reported that 11 tested below the league minimum and that one was as much as 2 lbs below, it's now being talked as if all the balls were below by 2 lbs each.

At this point it could be that they were of varying amounts below which would be consistent with weather and usage droppage in the overall inflation that was started with.

Ultimately because it involves the Patriots it's blown into stratosphere importance level, while any other team it would get only a few mentions on sports sites.

That's because they are cheaters.

NEPatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's on tires which are 35-50 PSI though that have a completely different shape. It doesn't look good but I'll wait for what the league says.

And this is why it was important to test the Colts footballs too.

It was reported this morning on a show I was listening to on the radio that if the balls were set at 12.5 lbs they would drop to at least 11.7 upon being brought outdoors based on game time temps, and continue to drop as the ambient temp continued to drop.

The rule itself if violated equates to making a left turn on a no turn on red intersection. It's only getting this much attention because of the team it involves.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,229.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good point. Although I think it would take a lot more than this to keep Brady and BB out of the HOF. They'd need to go full OJ to get snubbed.

:noidea:

Maybe the NFL doesn`t look at it the way MLB does..........Its gonna be interesting to see what happens.

BobGnarly

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

According to Mort's original tweet it was 2 lbs each

Last edited by a moderator:

NEPatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's because they are cheaters.

All teams are cheaters. Ever see a play where a player commits a hold and it's not called?

It's simply a perspective issue. If the Patriots hadn't been so successful the last 15 years this story would be back page material. In fact the opposing team likely wouldn't have even notified the league.

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a Seattle fan, I very much care about the Pats being a full strength (players and coaches) when they play the Superbowl. If Seattle wins the game, I don't want any doubt cast down as to why.

Exactly.. The players on both teams, the huge number of people who relish the Superbowl, fans of the sport etc etc etc.

Yes let's crap up this event for everyone because some people have the view that a suspension is the only way to punish Belichick and Patriots sufficiently enough.

Think about it and tell me that there aren't ways to punish primarily the team and Belichick without effecting everyone else.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,229.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

patriots team better hope they never get them balls.........if there is a difference,thats gonna be stiff stiff penalty.
that is not worth cheating.......if a team trly believes they are the best in the business,theres no room for doing this type of behavior...........none!

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Actually that's a good point, as someone who dislikes both teams, this is a good way to discredit both.

/sarc (kind of)

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All teams are cheaters. Ever see a play where a player commits a hold and it's not called?

It's simply a perspective issue. If the Patriots hadn't been so successful the last 15 years this story would be back page material. In fact the opposing team likely wouldn't have even notified the league.

And there most definitely is the factor that people are looking more at the Patriots than most others teams. There sure seems to be a number of teams that like to monkey with the footballs but no one is really even looking at them. Maybe they are doing it all legally or not. No one knows or cares.

NEPatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to Mort's original tweet it was 2 lbs each
[MEDIA=twitter]557748673208401921[/MEDIA]

From a scientific/investigative perspective that would be highly unlikely since even if they are each set at a precise amount, they won't all stay at that same amount once brought outside, used, then measured again. They would have different amounts of pressure since each football would have experience different variables.

Something is not adding up with these reports so far, and we will likely need to wait for more information.

Last edited by a moderator:

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And who's fault is that.....it's the Dolphins who else! (Pats fans)

NEPatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From a scientific/investigative perspective that would be highly unlikely since even if they are each set at a precise amount, they won't all stay at that same amount once brought outside, used, then measured again. They would have different amounts of pressure since each football would have experience different variables.

Something is not adding up with these reports so far, and we will likely need to wait for more information.

Matt Leinert is suggesting that all NFL QB's tamper with the balls prior to the game.