• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Report: Patriots used deflated balls

Bunkamania

ESPN Defector
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Belichick needs a permanent vacation from the NFL if it's true that he had anything to do with this. The guy is a great coach but, he's also despicable.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fact that they wiped the floor with the Colts doesn't diminish the cheating (assuming its found to be intentional)... I don't know why many of the talking heads keep saying this.

The final score doesn't matter. Why only condemn people who cheat and win by a small margin? If you cheat and lose or cheat and win by a lot... then its ok?

The fact that they won by a lot only makes it all the more sad and frustrating (I assume) for players and fans who didn't have a say in the cheating.... because clearly they didn't need to cheat.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A Belichick super bowl suspension makes the most sense. Docking cap space would be a close second.

Taking away draft picks hurts, but you want to stop this garbage in it's tracks, start messing with the here and now, suspend the coach for the biggest game, or take away their ability to field a competitive team.

Lemon Harang Pie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A Belichick super bowl suspension makes the most sense. Docking cap space would be a close second.

Taking away draft picks hurts, but you want to stop this garbage in it's tracks, start messing with the here and now, suspend the coach for the biggest game, or take away their ability to field a competitive team.

Definitely.

No team playing in a championship game or Super Bowl is thinking about future seasons. A small fine and taking away a few draft picks will do nothing to discourage this behavior.

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think trashing the Superbowl by a suspension would hurt the game of football much more than the crime.

The players, the fans, the league, everyone would all be damaged much more than any integrity gained by a suspension.

Even if what Belichick did is indefensible that would be cutting off your nose.

I would not be surprised if Belichick is suspended next year. I'm saying at least 4 games plus draft picks, fines etc. That's a whopping big hit to team with a closing window and that punishment would effect the Patriots more than anyone else.

Hell what if the Patriots lose?

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This idea that the final score and game results excuses cheating is insane.

Suppose Barry Bonds went 0 for 5 with 5 strikeouts and 2 errors
But, he tested positive for PEDS after the game
Do we just ignore the cheating since it did not seem to make him play better?

Why would the game stats matter in determining the "cheating" side?
Patriots are a disgrace for using the final score as their hindsight defense.

I hope they suspend Belichick for the Super Bowl. Send a strong message.

bocomo007

Just some guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think trashing the Superbowl by a suspension would hurt the game of football much more than the crime.

The players, the fans, the league, everyone would all be damaged much more than any integrity gained by a suspension.

I would not be surprised if Belichick is suspended next year. I'm saying at least 4 games plus draft picks, fines etc. That's a whopping big hit to team with a closing window and that punishment would effect the Patriots more than anyone else.

:L

you mean it would damage pats fans, right?

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well if Bellichek's intent was to do anything to win another SB then a 4 game suspension next season doesn't really affect his plan does it? I mean BB has been around a loooong time and Brady is getting close to retirement too. So if they win the SB they could both retire on top and any punishment the Pats get next year wouldn't even effect them. They'd essentially get off scott free. Even a half million dollar fine would do what? No much when Brady is worth about $200M and I'm sure BB is doing OK too.

I really loathe the idea of this SB not being the best it could be since my Hawks are in it too, but any punishment that the league comes up with should happen in the same season that the crime was committed. That is assuming of course the NFL can prove any of this in the first place.

bocomo007

Just some guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

you know what really hurts the game of football..................cheating

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Belichick is almost universally despised, I really doubt it would have that affect outside New England.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,229.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
gohusk

I wonder if they had them right at the low end of the limit after filling them up with hotter air or something right before they tested them and then let the conditions do the rest.

Godstree

Since this is the first game ever played in the cold, I am sure they never thought of something like this happening.

You are totally correct GT.............
And the other question that should be brought up then,why was it only the Pats balls that were deflated?
Wouldn`t the difference in temperatures tamper with Indys balls too?

(don`t mind the quotes.For some odd reason it would not let me multi quote........sorry)

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,229.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well if Bellichek's intent was to do anything to win another SB then a 4 game suspension next season doesn't really affect his plan does it? I mean BB has been around a loooong time and Brady is getting close to retirement too. So if they win the SB they could both retire on top and any punishment the Pats get next year wouldn't even effect them. They'd essentially get off scott free. Even a half million dollar fine would do what? No much when Brady is worth about $200M and I'm sure BB is doing OK too.

I really loathe the idea of this SB not being the best it could be since my Hawks are in it too, but any punishment that the league comes up with should happen in the same season that the crime was committed. That is assuming of course the NFL can prove any of this in the first place.

Unless the HOF is something they`d love to be part of.......Ask Pete Rose.

And they both are 1st time balloters......

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless the HOF is something they`d love to be part of.......Ask Pete Rose.

And they both are 1st time balloters......

Good point. Although I think it would take a lot more than this to keep Brady and BB out of the HOF. They'd need to go full OJ to get snubbed.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fact that they wiped the floor with the Colts doesn't diminish the cheating (assuming its found to be intentional)... I don't know why many of the talking heads keep saying this.

The final score doesn't matter. Why only condemn people who cheat and win by a small margin? If you cheat and lose or cheat and win by a lot... then its ok?

The fact that they won by a lot only makes it all the more sad and frustrating (I assume) for players and fans who didn't have a say in the cheating.... because clearly they didn't need to cheat.

Yes.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
gohusk

I wonder if they had them right at the low end of the limit after filling them up with hotter air or something right before they tested them and then let the conditions do the rest.

Godstree

Since this is the first game ever played in the cold, I am sure they never thought of something like this happening.

You are totally correct GT.............
And the other question that should be brought up then,why was it only the Pats balls that were deflated?
Wouldn`t the difference in temperatures tamper with Indys balls too?

(don`t mind the quotes.For some odd reason it would not let me multi quote........sorry)

I thought of this too, but that begs the question, what were the conditions that the NFL tested them under? Game time, 45-50 degrees? Or ambient room temp usually about 70 degrees? There is about a 1 psi drop per 10 degree drop, but there is also a corrosponding rise as well, unless there is a loss of volume.

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:L

you mean it would damage pats fans, right?

Nope. Everyone. It would make potentially a great Superbowl a terrible one. All fans, viewers of the sport, the league, the Patriots players (and even the Seattle players) would be unfairly punished with a suspension.

It would be a disaster.

The Seattle players and fans may not care now but in terms of legacy their win would be diminished. Right?

A punishment focused purely on the Patriots as I said would hurt them just as significantly without pulling the rest of the league down the same path.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lakers+USC=#1

Fuck CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This idea that the final score and game results excuses cheating is insane.

Suppose Barry Bonds went 0 for 5 with 5 strikeouts and 2 errors
But, he tested positive for PEDS after the game
Do we just ignore the cheating since it did not seem to make him play better?

Why would the game stats matter in determining the "cheating" side?
Patriots are a disgrace for using the final score as their hindsight defense.

I hope they suspend Belichick for the Super Bowl. Send a strong message.

Thank you!