• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Refs are scaring me today

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Roughing the passer on Titans on a thrown INT by Kap ... Trapped ball called a catch on the 1 yard line favoring the 9rs ...Then the Patriots game where the Jets missed a game winning OT field goal only to get one of the cheesiest personal foul call's I've seen in a long time basically handing the Jets the win... This crap is scary to watch because the refs are taking over and deciding games right now in a big way...

octagondd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bring back the replacement refs! THey did just as well.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can't hit a QB in the back of the knees like the Titans hit Kaepernick on that play. It used to be legal until Brady got hit like that and his knee got blown out on it. Naturally, the NFL didn't like the idea of one of their cash cows getting hurt like that, so they banned that type of hit on the QB.

The Patriots vs. Jets game call rarely gets called, but it is also in the rule book. You can't push one of your teammates into the pile like that on a kick. The rule might suck, but it was the right call.

The play that was ruled a catch and not a trap was either a good call or a bad call depending on whether you thought the receiver had control of the ball the whole time, even as it hit the ground. If the receiver has control before and while it hits the ground and the ball doesn't move, it's probably going to be called a catch. If it had moved at all, they probably call it incomplete.

I don't like that a couple of those calls benefited the 49ers, but they looked like the right calls to me.

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Roughing the passer on Titans on a thrown INT by Kap ... Trapped ball called a catch on the 1 yard line favoring the 9rs ...Then the Patriots game where the Jets missed a game winning OT field goal only to get one of the cheesiest personal foul call's I've seen in a long time basically handing the Jets the win... This crap is scary to watch because the refs are taking over and deciding games right now in a big way...

As far as the penalty for the Pats vs Jets game is concerned, it was one of the new rules they put in this season. Hate it if you want, but it was the correct call.

Rule 913: Team B players cannot push teammates on the line of scrimmage into offensive formation.

People called it "controversial" but I don't think it was. The rule was clearly stated and it was implented to protect the center.

Karma I guess considering the Pats won last week due to an uncalled holding. :clap:

Last edited by a moderator:

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The only thing they had trouble with was trivial stuff like spotting the ball and adjusting to the NFL timing rules. That kind of stuff is expected with new people. The number of blown calls was really about the same. It's just the replacement refs got crucified every time they made a bad call. For some reason you don't see a lot of people getting on the "real" refs.

For instance, the Seattle Arizona game on Thursday was an absolute joke as far as the officiating goes. They missed 3 or so calls with officials in the immediate area that had to go to review to get corrected. Then they missed a clear as day facemask on Palmer late in the game and blew another obvious holding call. There is more I'm forgetting, but you get what I'm saying. It's a joke that these guys pretty much have zero accountability.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can't hit a QB in the back of the knees like the Titans hit Kaepernick on that play. It used to be legal until Brady got hit like that and his knee got blown out on it. Naturally, the NFL didn't like the idea of one of their cash cows getting hurt like that, so they banned that type of hit on the QB.

The Patriots vs. Jets game call rarely gets called, but it is also in the rule book. You can't push one of your teammates into the pile like that on a kick. The rule might suck, but it was the right call.

The play that was ruled a catch and not a trap was either a good call or a bad call depending on whether you thought the receiver had control of the ball the whole time, even as it hit the ground. If the receiver has control before and while it hits the ground and the ball doesn't move, it's probably going to be called a catch. If it had moved at all, they probably call it incomplete.

I don't like that a couple of those calls benefited the 49ers, but they looked like the right calls to me.

Gotcha was not aware of that new rule... Man it seemed tick tack but I guess he shouldn't have pushed in that case... The Kap one seemed like he hit more towards his waist but I'd have to see it again... The trap catch on the ground though MAN that ball was clearly held up by the ground...

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

In terms of blown calls and calling things like PI and holding yes they weren't any worse than NFL refs. They weren't good, but neither are the regular NFL officials. The only reason the Tate touchdown got so much press was because the media was looking for something like that and a call going against one of the NFL's golden teams in Green Bay was exactly the play they needed. If that call had been made by the regular refs there wouldn't have been nearly the media frenzy that there was and if the teams were reversed and the call had gone against the Seahawks, there wouldn't have been a peep outside of Seattle.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It has literally never been called before. It is a new rule and it's stupid IMO.

TBH neither team deserved to win today, though.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Gotcha was not aware of that new rule... Man it seemed tick tack but I guess he shouldn't have pushed in that case... The Kap one seemed like he hit more towards his waist but I'd have to see it again... The trap catch on the ground though MAN that ball was clearly held up by the ground...

The Kap one was around the knees and closer to the ankles so it was the correct call.

I'm not a huge fan of the Brady rule but it is the correct call.

The Miller catch was in my view a catch. It appeared to me he had a firm handle on the ball before it touched the ground and still had a firm handle on it when he brought it up. It didn't appear to me he used the ground to trap the ball and make it look like a catch

Years ago that wouldn't have been the catch (the old Bucs vs Rams NFC championship game comes to mind) once it touched the ground but they've changed that rule so that's the proper call now.

Really the only calls I think Refs are majorly blowing and struggling with are the helmet to helmet calls. Too many good clean hits are getting flagged just because the receiver got hit hard and his head rocked back and those 15 yarders are back breakers for teams.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
It has literally never been called before. It is a new rule and it's stupid IMO.

It's a stupid rule and on the ticky tack side but ultimately the call was still correct.

It's just a bigger deal right now because that pretty much cost the Pats the game. Sure there was no guarantee that the Pats could've gotten in FG range but from the spot they would've gotten the ball from I would've really liked their odds.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your analysis matches mine.

Again, the patriots didn't deserve to win today, though.

FirebreathingMonkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Refs are majorly blowing and struggling with are the helmet to helmet calls. Too many good clean hits are getting flagged just because the receiver got hit hard and his head rocked back and those 15 yarders are back breakers for teams.

:agree::agree::agree::agree::agree::agree::agree::agree:

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You'd hate to see the refs making a call that will affect the outcome of a football game. While I 100% agreed that it was the right call from my previous post, I would've definitely not throw the flag in this situation if I'm reffing that game. Let the players who fought hard for 60+ minutes on the field decide that game.

Very unfortunate for the Pats to have it called in that situation, but it was correct.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am curious how much attention the league gave this rule change to the teams, but all the patriots had to do was stand still and watch him miss.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Kap one was around the knees and closer to the ankles so it was the correct call.

I'm not a huge fan of the Brady rule but it is the correct call.

The Miller catch was in my view a catch. It appeared to me he had a firm handle on the ball before it touched the ground and still had a firm handle on it when he brought it up. It didn't appear to me he used the ground to trap the ball and make it look like a catch

Years ago that wouldn't have been the catch (the old Bucs vs Rams NFC championship game comes to mind) once it touched the ground but they've changed that rule so that's the proper call now.

Really the only calls I think Refs are majorly blowing and struggling with are the helmet to helmet calls. Too many good clean hits are getting flagged just because the receiver got hit hard and his head rocked back and those 15 yarders are back breakers for teams.

If the refs see a whiplash then they're going to throw a flag. I don't particularly care for it but they've been pretty consistent with how they call it. The crappy part of it is that they're flagging the result and not the technique, which might be clean. Kind of like the shot Kam had on Vernon Davis last year. It was within the rules but because of the whiplash action it was flagged. Dislodging the ball with a hard clean hit just isn't part of the game of football anymore. The league has to do this crap for player safety though. Watching big shots is cool but I don't want to see people destroying their lives for my amusement.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do. Watching people suffer for our amusement has been a staple of culture since the days of the coliseum.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think I must have been thinking about college football, because I'm pretty sure I've seen this rule enforced somewhere before this season. Anyway, you're right. It's new to the NFL this year and this was the first instance of it a penalty being called under that rule.

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think I must have been thinking about college football, because I'm pretty sure I've seen this rule enforced somewhere before this season. Anyway, you're right. It's new to the NFL this year and this was the first instance of it a penalty being called under that rule.

It was definitely a new rule this season and they also mentioned it during the CBS broadcast as well. I had to check up on this rule and it's confirmed.

As of this season, this is illegal (specifically, it’s called Rule 9, Section 1, Article 3 (b) 2). And this was the first time the rule was implemented in calling a penalty in an NFL game.

Laces Out ? NFL on FOX Blog

Last edited by a moderator: