• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

I thought whining about the refs was all pure cope? When did this change?

The Oldtimer

Older than dirt!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because the end of the game calls have less time to recover from, thus they are much more important

Don't we have enough reviews to overturn calls? Obviously not, because they clearly got the call wrong. Isn't the point to get the right call? Or no?
An interesting take:

One person who has grown tired of the constant talk is Rams left tackle Andrew Whitworth, who called into The Rich Eisen Show to talk about the game. Whitworth called the arguments from the Saints and their players “an excuse” and pointed out how the Saints had plenty of chances to close out the game after the play, saying “the reality is, football was played after that snap.”

Whitworth echoed the sentiment many Rams fans have been sharing on social media, imploring people to look at “how many times the [play] clock was on zero when they snapped it, and the different face mask calls that were missed in the game.”

Whitworth said many calls were missed on both sides, and that the missed face mask call on Jared Goff at the Saints’ 2-yard line on the preceding drive arguably had a bigger impact on the game because if the Rams had scored a touchdown there, the Saints would’ve been down four.

“It’s hard to say that the last foul is the foul you want to argue about that’s missed, I mean if you’ve got to argue about that one, then you have to go back and fix the others,” Whitworth added.

Pure Steel

Hoopla Cash
$ 402.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just have to wonder what it is like to have a job where you can Fuck up this bad and still get a pay check. With my work, if it isn’t 100% right, I don’t get paid
Yup, I make sure all my hookers know this before our transactions.....

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So the popular narrative about the no-call seems to be that it costed the Saints the game. This all ignores the fact that the Saints got other favorable calls earlier in the game that could easily have changed the course of the game. It also ignores the fact that the Saints still took the lead to end that possession, their D allowed the Rams to drive for the game-tying FG with less than 2 minutes in regulation, how the Saints and Brees choked in OT whe they got the ball first, and the defense allowing L.A. to drive for the game-winning FG afterwards. It also ignores that the Rams DB was in great position to have made a pass deflection if not an INT on that play had he played the ball rather than rammed the Saints receiver, but they act like he tackled him from behind on a sure TD catch.

This was with the "elite, legendary" QB/HC combo of Drew Brees at home in New Orleans against a 3rd year QB and 2nd year HC in Jared Goff and McVay with a team that was a dumpster fire under Jeff Fisher just 3 seasons ago. This is the same Saints team and fans that told the Vikings to blame their own mistakes for their 2009 NFC championship loss despite several horrible calls/no-calls that went in favor of the Saints on the way to their Superbowl win, and that blaming the refs was just making excuses. But now, we're all supposed to cry a river of salt over 1 no-call for the Saints against L.A., despite the fact that their D allowed 2 more scores and their offense/Brees choked in OT, all after that play?

Yeah, let's blame the refs. Let's just ignore the fact that the Saints blew a 13-point lead in a home NFC championship game and gave up 2 scores plus choked their opening OT drive away on offense after that no-call. Yep, that was the only play of the game that mattered, and they totally got robbed of a Superbowl trip. Some of you have incredibly short memories.

Stay salty.

But who gives a shit about any of this? Officials make an obvious call correctly and they win. What does the OT drive have to do with anything? It never should have happened.

Yeah, they jumped out early, Rams came back and made it close. Then they won the damn game before it was taken away.

The bottom line is that the game should have been over after one of the worst missed PI's you could ever fathom.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
An interesting take:

One person who has grown tired of the constant talk is Rams left tackle Andrew Whitworth, who called into The Rich Eisen Show to talk about the game. Whitworth called the arguments from the Saints and their players “an excuse” and pointed out how the Saints had plenty of chances to close out the game after the play, saying “the reality is, football was played after that snap.”

Whitworth echoed the sentiment many Rams fans have been sharing on social media, imploring people to look at “how many times the [play] clock was on zero when they snapped it, and the different face mask calls that were missed in the game.”

Whitworth said many calls were missed on both sides, and that the missed face mask call on Jared Goff at the Saints’ 2-yard line on the preceding drive arguably had a bigger impact on the game because if the Rams had scored a touchdown there, the Saints would’ve been down four.

“It’s hard to say that the last foul is the foul you want to argue about that’s missed, I mean if you’ve got to argue about that one, then you have to go back and fix the others,” Whitworth added.

The TV play clock is not typically on point with the one officials use. This comes up every season it seems like and the explanation is quite simply the same every time.

There's missed calls in every game, sure. However, there is not historically horrific missed calls at the very end of games, which the opposition doesn't even dispute having been missed - which costs a team a trip to the Super Bowl. That is probably the worst no-call in NFL history. So... yeah... it carries more weight than 20 delay of games combined. lol

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was definitely a bad missed call but I do think there is a bit of an overreaction taking place

Especially in wanting to review OT

I hate the Pats but had the Chiefs won the toss and got a TD we wouldn't hear a tenth of the complaints about the OT rules.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But who gives a shit about any of this? Officials make an obvious call correctly and they win. What does the OT drive have to do with anything? It never should have happened.

Yeah, they jumped out early, Rams came back and made it close. Then they won the damn game before it was taken away.

The bottom line is that the game should have been over after one of the worst missed PI's you could ever fathom.
How do you know with 100% certainty that the Saint's don't somehow screw it up? Fumbled snap, a bad decision leading to an INT going for a TD instead of a FG, a missed FG...the list goes on and on.

1 play NEVER dictates a win/loss. In a vacuum, yes, that logic works, but in reality it negates an entire games' worth of decisions (good/bad) and plays (good/bad).

That play sucked, and the Refs blew it. But, there are far more factors than just that 1 call that lead to the Saints losing that game.

Time to move on.

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So would you have been upset if they called the Zeurline FG no good when it obviously was good?
It would only be one play of many in the game.
Bad comparison. PI is essentially an opinion based foul. Whether a FG passed between the uprights is either yes or no.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was PI and the Rams need to move back to St. Louis.

The Oldtimer

Older than dirt!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The TV play clock is not typically on point with the one officials use. This comes up every season it seems like and the explanation is quite simply the same every time.

There's missed calls in every game, sure. However, there is not historically horrific missed calls at the very end of games, which the opposition doesn't even dispute having been missed - which costs a team a trip to the Super Bowl. That is probably the worst no-call in NFL history. So... yeah... it carries more weight than 20 delay of games combined. lol
Apparently you don't get it!!! The Rams had the ball at the two yard line and the refs missed a "blatant" facemask call on Goff that would have given the Rams a 1st and goal on the one yard line. Again a "blatant" facemask call should have been called, but wasn't. A non-call at the end of a game "doesn't carry any more weight" than a non-call with three minute left at a team's two yard line.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think we will get a resolution to this anytime soon. What's done is done and frankly, I've already stated my opinion that the non call should never have come into play to begin with. Sean Payton oughtta be buying that ref a steak dinner for getting him off the hook for his bonehead play calling.
A couple of notes just for the fuck of it all.
The CFL has PI as a the one penalty that's a reviewable call but they also only allow one challenge and of course, the team is required to have a TO on the board. I think if the NFL wanted to adopt this, do not add any challenges. Make these teams use their challenges more wisely. Just my 2 cents here. I do think PI is also a very subjective call a lot of the time as well.
The one beef I have with the non call on Sunday has nothing to do with the PI. Yes, that was the crux of all the anger and BS but I was somewhat more concerned with the ref not calling the hit itself. It was helmet to helmet (actually more facemask to facemask) on a defensless receiver. Or at least, it's been called all year as that. Obviously, it wasn't a terrible hit but we've seen far lighter hits called. Not trying to stir up a new can of worms here and I am in agreement with others that plenty of calls were missed in the game both ways. It's just the leagues inconsistency that bothers me. And again, what's done is done and this mess is a black eye for Goodell and his cronies.
I'll take my leave of this conversation now because I'm just gonna be redundant if I continue.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How do you know with 100% certainty that the Saint's don't somehow screw it up? Fumbled snap, a bad decision leading to an INT going for a TD instead of a FG, a missed FG...the list goes on and on.

1 play NEVER dictates a win/loss. In a vacuum, yes, that logic works, but in reality it negates an entire games' worth of decisions (good/bad) and plays (good/bad).

That play sucked, and the Refs blew it. But, there are far more factors than just that 1 call that lead to the Saints losing that game.

Time to move on.

How do I know FOR CERTAIN? Well, I do know that field goals between 20-29 yards indoors are essentially automatic, that they wouldn't have called anything besides safe run plays, while running the clock down to 3 or 4 seconds... and that this results in a 99% win probability. So, if you want to cling to there being some absolute miracle? Fine, I guess...

1 play NEVER dictates a win/loss

It pretty much just dictated an outcome. The game came down to that play... it was called horrifically incorrect and it directly cost the Saints the game. Was it the ONLY factor? No, but it was the largest and most direct.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently you don't get it!!! The Rams had the ball at the two yard line and the refs missed a "blatant" facemask call on Goff that would have given the Rams a 1st and goal on the one yard line. Again a "blatant" facemask call should have been called, but wasn't. A non-call at the end of a game "doesn't carry any more weight" than a non-call with three minute left at a team's two yard line.

Of course, it carries a world's difference of weight. Three minutes left and if LA scores a TD... then NO has a world of time to go down the field and eradicate the 4 point deficit.

In the Saints case? They literally WON the game on that play and then had it stolen away by the refs. The game would have been over with a 99+% certainty.

You cannot say for certain ANYTHING directly towards the outcome if Goff's facemask gets called. Especially seeing as how effectively NO moved the ball. You CAN with near 100% certainty say New Orleans wins if the PI is called. That is why there is a WOOOORLD of difference here.

If you weren't a Rams fan, you'd get it.

The Oldtimer

Older than dirt!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course, it carries a world's difference of weight. Three minutes left and if LA scores a TD... then NO has a world of time to go down the field and eradicate the 4 point deficit.

In the Saints case? They literally WON the game on that play and then had it stolen away by the refs. The game would have been over with a 99+% certainty.

You cannot say for certain ANYTHING directly towards the outcome if Goff's facemask gets called. Especially seeing as how effectively NO moved the ball. You CAN with near 100% certainty say New Orleans wins if the PI is called. That is why there is a WOOOORLD of difference here.

Being a Rams fan has nothing to do with how I think the refs called a game, but I will leave it as it is. The game is over and time to move on.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How do I know FOR CERTAIN? Well, I do know that field goals between 20-29 yards indoors are essentially automatic, that they wouldn't have called anything besides safe run plays, while running the clock down to 3 or 4 seconds... and that this results in a 99% win probability. So, if you want to cling to there being some absolute miracle? Fine, I guess...

1 play NEVER dictates a win/loss

It pretty much just dictated an outcome. The game came down to that play... it was called horrifically incorrect and it directly cost the Saints the game. Was it the ONLY factor? No, but it was the largest and most direct.

What about all the other missed calls that could have led to scores? We can play this game all day long. Bottom line is, Saints need to take their own advice they gave the Vikings the year the went on to the S.B. Stop blaming the refs, own up to the mistakes that cost you the game, and move on.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And yet, you are very certain that nothing could have gone awry had they called the P.I.? Can't have it both ways. I've seen wackier things happen.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Refs do and can impact games, that's just reality whether people want to admit it or not... Refs will call the weakest PI calls where the DB barely touches the receiver, and then not call one where the DB doesn't play the ball, runs over the receiver while the ball is in the air, NO CALL !! That's the type of shit that drives fans crazy ... I think the league needs to seriously consider challenges for PI calls, we can't keep getting this so wrong when so much is at stake..

If PI gets opened up for review, why not personal fouls? Then the refs can go back and give the Rams the face mask on Goff the previous drive and 1st and goal inside the 1. How do you miss a face mask penalty against a QB? Tom Brady gets phantom roughing calls, but Goff can't get a facemask? Or Brandin Cooks earlier in the game? Or offensive holding and hands to the face on the same play that the pass interference/helmet to helmet got missed?

If you open up review for only one kind of penalty, then you have to open up them all. If a hands to the face or even an illegal formation nullifies a PI call and replays the down, how can you only review the PI? It's a can of worms the NFL can't afford to open up.

GhostOfPoverty

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So would you have been upset if they called the Zeurline FG no good when it obviously was good?

This is one of the most bizarre comparisons I've ever heard in terms of various football penalities/officiating calls. How many times in NFL history have the refs gotten the calls on whether or not a FG kick was good, especially if you narrow it down to when instant replay reviews came into the mix? There's also nothing arbitrary about whether a FG is good or not, either it went through the uprights to count according the specifications of the rules, or it's too far out to one side and/or short. With automatic reviews on all scoring plays being the standard now, it's inconceivable to think they could blow such a black and white ruling of a score even on the closest of FG kicks that are diffcult to call immediately watching it live.

Like I said, all of the teams deal with bad calls. It's a part of the game that is unfortunate, but tends to pretty much even itself out. This case is no different; there were several bad calls/no calls in favor of the Saints that game that could have easily changed the course of that last regulation Saints drive call everyone keeps whining about. It's also not like the receiver was in great position to make the catch regardless, as the DB had played it perfectly except for going after the receiver instead of the ball - if he plays the ball cleanly, 99% chance the DB either deflects the pass or intercepts it. So despite being a bad no-call, it's an especially strange instance for the "Put the yellow rags away and let 'em play! It's the playoffs, after all!" crowd when his interference likely costed him a shot at an INT if anything.

And once again, I just need to point out how painfully rich it is for Vikings fans in particular to hear all of this whining from the Saints. Most non-Saints fans, including a large portion of Packers fans still extremely rustled over Favre playing for the Vikes at the time, were able to admit that the Vikings got shafted pretty hard by upwards of 5-10 bad calls/no calls throughout that game. Included were several no-calls for RTP/late hits on Favre (the most important one which the NFL apologized for and admitted was wrong, which would have reversed his first INT and put the Vikes in FG range on 1st down in the 3rd quarter) and at least 3 bs calls in OT that kept the Saints offense moving for the FG sudden death win when they'd been stopped by the Minnesota D. To this day, it's the closest I've come in my lifetime to blaming the refs for a big loss for my team, but I still holds several of the team's own mistakes as the primary reasons they blew it. So spare me the crying over 1 call that didn't go your way that 3 drives before the game even ended.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can honestly say no I would not be upset because all scoring plays are reviewed and if it was obvious, the replay official overturns the call on the field. :D

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My point is that if you don't call that then why did you throw a single flag during the game. They fucked it up. I don't blame the Rams because it's not their job to officiate the shit and I have no love for the Shady Aints but that was just bad.