• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

I thought whining about the refs was all pure cope? When did this change?

steelerssb

Once banned on CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 297.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can think of another Saints game I'd like to see overturned because of bad officiating...

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we are pretty much on the same page. I think you lean a little more towards the "bad calls happen, no biggie" side where I lean a bit more towards the "big deals should be made when poor calls at critical times happen". But we are close. I too think that the Saints shouldn't have put themselves in position to lose that game.

Curious, did you feel the same when the Steelers were victims of multiple blown calls against the Chargers last month?

This one sealed the door shut on the playoffs for PIT....I'm telling you this is the NFL, but the back judge that made this call should not be working playoff games this yr...but he probably is.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This one sealed the door shut on the playoffs for PIT....I'm telling you this is the NFL, but the back judge that made this call should not be working playoff games this yr...but he probably is.

Yeah, that one was terrible for sure. I think Kamara sold it like a soccer player. When I saw it live, I thought it was PI too at first but when I saw the replay it obviously wasn't. A review could have overturned it. I would also be okay with the league implementing a flop rule in some cases. Receivers have got pretty adept at their acting skills.

GhostOfPoverty

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
13 point lead is less than two possessions. You really expect every single team that has a 13 point lead at some point in a game to win? That’s the dumbest shit ever.

You sure whine a lot. And conveniently ignored my other points.

But literally everything else aside, it was Sean Payton's stupid game management that cost the Saints that game above all else, and it's really not even close. It he just sticks to simple fundamental football game management by running on those downs just prior to no-call PI play, the Saints burn the clock down signficantly more whilst simutaniously forcing the Rams to take their lost time out (both of which they needed on their game-tying FG drive) before taking the lead by 3. So we'd literally be having an entirely different discussion with the Saints headed to the Superbowl had Payton simply not been a cheeky idiot acting like he was playing a Madden video game instead of a real game with a Superbowl trip on the line.

But by all means, keep up the spastic temper tantrums over the no-call that never would have happened in the first place had Payton not gone full potato mode.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You sure whine a lot. And conveniently ignored my other points.

But literally everything else aside, it was Sean Payton's stupid game management that cost the Saints that game above all else, and it's really not even close. It he just sticks to simple fundamental football game management by running on those downs just prior to no-call PI play, the Saints burn the clock down signficantly more whilst simutaniously forcing the Rams to take their lost time out (both of which they needed on their game-tying FG drive) before taking the lead by 3. So we'd literally be having an entirely different discussion with the Saints headed to the Superbowl had Payton simply not been a cheeky idiot acting like he was playing a Madden video game instead of a real game with a Superbowl trip on the line.

But by all means, keep up the spastic temper tantrums over the no-call that never would have happened in the first place had Payton not gone full potato mode.
Have we had other interactions that I don’t remember? I did drink too much last night.

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So salty we have people crying about a no call late in a game that went to OT. Where that same team got the ball first and lost.

Also crying about the other OT game because a “coin flip” determined the game even though a jackass DE was offsides by a mile and could have stopped the game with an INT.

And it’s the same hippies that do this crying every fucking Sunday and Monday. They have to be women

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fact that I can repost this in every NFL thread the day after Conference Championship day is a problem for the sport:

Bottom line is this: EVERY close game in the NFL you can look at a penalty or non-call that 'determined' the outcome. Here we are a day after 2 OT championship games, which should be talked about as really exciting and fun, and all anyone talks about is the refs.

This is the primary reason I do not follow football closely. That and the brain damage. But the ref thing is a problem.

I agree with this besides the fact the ref is a problem. I think the problem is women who can find anything wrong in any situation. You can look at every play and find a flag. Every trip up the court in b-ball and find a foul. Sometimes the refs miss some, sometimes they call too many fouls.

Either way some fans are just never happy. Like I said, I’m much more of a fan of no calls than a flag or whistle happy game. Let them play and call it even overall

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with this besides the fact the ref is a problem. I think the problem is women who can find anything wrong in any situation. You can look at every play and find a flag. Every trip up the court in b-ball and find a foul. Sometimes the refs miss some, sometimes they call too many fouls.

Either way some fans are just never happy. Like I said, I’m much more of a fan of no calls than a flag or whistle happy game. Let them play and call it even overall

You have a real problem with women though. You just get dumped?

packerzrule

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 30.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So the popular narrative about the no-call seems to be that it costed the Saints the game. This all ignores the fact that the Saints got other favorable calls earlier in the game that could easily have changed the course of the game. It also ignores the fact that the Saints still took the lead to end that possession, their D allowed the Rams to drive for the game-tying FG with less than 2 minutes in regulation, how the Saints and Brees choked in OT whe they got the ball first, and the defense allowing L.A. to drive for the game-winning FG afterwards. It also ignores that the Rams DB was in great position to have made a pass deflection if not an INT on that play had he played the ball rather than rammed the Saints receiver, but they act like he tackled him from behind on a sure TD catch.

This was with the "elite, legendary" QB/HC combo of Drew Brees at home in New Orleans against a 3rd year QB and 2nd year HC in Jared Goff and McVay with a team that was a dumpster fire under Jeff Fisher just 3 seasons ago. This is the same Saints team and fans that told the Vikings to blame their own mistakes for their 2009 NFC championship loss despite several horrible calls/no-calls that went in favor of the Saints on the way to their Superbowl win, and that blaming the refs was just making excuses. But now, we're all supposed to cry a river of salt over 1 no-call for the Saints against L.A., despite the fact that their D allowed 2 more scores and their offense/Brees choked in OT, all after that play?

Yeah, let's blame the refs. Let's just ignore the fact that the Saints blew a 13-point lead in a home NFC championship game and gave up 2 scores plus choked their opening OT drive away on offense after that no-call. Yep, that was the only play of the game that mattered, and they totally got robbed of a Superbowl trip. Some of you have incredibly short memories.

Stay salty.

^^^^^^
This guy gets it

GhostOfPoverty

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have we had other interactions that I don’t remember? I did drink too much last night.

Maybe I'm not fully understanding your position on the matter. The short version of my opinion on it is that bad calls happen, and there were enough other things about the Saints/Rams game to where I think it's pathetic to whine about that one call. The Rams got multiple bs calls too, but we're hearing very little about that part of it, or Payton's horrendous game management at the end of regulation, or even the fact that the Saints choked on all 3 remaining drives of the game AFTER the no-call PI.

But back to my point about the 2009 NFC championship - it's relevant because there were several extremely questionable calls in favor of the Saints in that game, including a high/low hit on Favre in the 3rd quarter that would have negated his first INT and automatically put the Vikings in FG range. The NFL even admitted to that huge no-call being wrong, and the favortism the Saints got on the sole OT drive to end the game was so bad that it directly forced the league to change OT rules so a FG doesn't automatically win the game for the first team to get the ball based on a coin toss.

Again, I stress - I blame the Vikings for that loss. If they had fumbled just 1 less time out of 4x or simply not gotten that horrendous 12-men on the field penalty to back them up out of Ryan Longwell FG range at the end of regulation, they almost certainly win that game and go to the Superbowl instead of going home losers frusterated over the officiating. But if we're going to judge that game's results based on the Vikings' own mistakes over the officiating, then the same logic has to apply to this Rams/Saints game. It's just extremely ironic to hear all this crying over 1 call from a team that needed several bad calls in their favor to get to their lone Superbowl title in the NFC championship in 2009. Either both the 2009 Vikes and the 2018 Saints got screwed, or they both lost of their own accord; it can't be both.

Battlelyon

2021 Super Bowl Champions Rams
Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's easy to blame the refs on your own shortcomings

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have a real problem with women though. You just get dumped?

Nah I’m married. And even my wife doesn’t cry about refs every Sunday and Monday.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, that one was terrible for sure. I think Kamara sold it like a soccer player. When I saw it live, I thought it was PI too at first but when I saw the replay it obviously wasn't. A review could have overturned it. I would also be okay with the league implementing a flop rule in some cases. Receivers have got pretty adept at their acting skills.

To be fair, the ref that threw the flag did not have the best vantage point...he probably saw Haden extend his arm out (it was almost like he was try to keep him from falling back on him...took that to be a push based on Kamara selling it like you said. I thought the ball was so far over his head that a young Kareem Adul Jabbar might have a shot at catching it, but nobody under 6'5 or 6'6' had a prayer of catching it.

But...that's damn near every week in the NFL, you will find several like this or worse.

lebron23james

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Calls are missed all game on both sides. With that said missed calls at the end of the game are always more important. If you have 1 missed call at the end of the game and the other team doesn't, that is a huge advantage.

A simple solution would be to let coachs challenge any play in the last 2 minutes. I have a feeling the reason they don't is because they like the endless debate...Kinda like how the college tournament should have 8 teams instead of 4. 8 is obvious, but they want the endless debate about it, instead of fixing it.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fact that I can repost this in every NFL thread the day after Conference Championship day is a problem for the sport:

Bottom line is this: EVERY close game in the NFL you can look at a penalty or non-call that 'determined' the outcome. Here we are a day after 2 OT championship games, which should be talked about as really exciting and fun, and all anyone talks about is the refs.

This is the primary reason I do not follow football closely. That and the brain damage. But the ref thing is a problem.

I'd argue MLB umpires have a more direct effect of the outcomes of games. There's a judgement call that can't be reviewed every time the bat isn't swung, and every umpire's strikezone is different with veterans getting a couple inches of buffer while rookies get squeezed.

Sam "infield fly" Holbrook can still eat a big ole dick.

GhostOfPoverty

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So salty we have people crying about a no call late in a game that went to OT. Where that same team got the ball first and lost.

Also crying about the other OT game because a “coin flip” determined the game even though a jackass DE was offsides by a mile and could have stopped the game with an INT.

And it’s the same hippies that do this crying every fucking Sunday and Monday. They have to be women

Yep, pretty much. It's very seldom that you can truly put a game's results primarily on the officiating in close games.

But above all else, what grinds me about all these salty tears the most is that you never heard a peep out of the Saints or their fans acknowledging that they got not one, but several iffy to outright horrendous calls in their favor throughout the entire game in their lone Superbowl title year against the Vikings in that 2009 NFC championship game. They almost unanimously talked about bad calls being "a part of the game" and cited the Vikings' own blunders as reasons for their loss.

But now with the shoe on the other foot, they cry about 1 unfavorable call against them in a close game in which there were plenty of their team's own failures that played a bigger role in the outcome. I also remember them getting all rustled over P.I. calls in favor of the Vikings in their 2017 divisional round playoff game that they ultimately lost on the Keenum/Diggs miracle TD play. Out of every fan base, I've never heard of another one whining so hard about the refs while also sticking their heads in the sand when poor officiating benefits them.

Trust me Saints fans, as a Vikings fan, I understand all too well that losing big games sucks. Especially when your team gives you hope throughout the entire game only to lose in heart breaking fashion. I'm a fan of a team that went 15-1 with the highest scoring offense of all time (at the time) that blew a home NFC title game they should have won by 2+ scores in 1998, got skunked and blown out by the Giants in an NFC championship in 2000, missed the playoffs on a last second Cardinals TD by some no-name WR in 2003, blew it to Philly in the playoffs looking like they weren't even trying in 2004, lost a massive heart breaker in the magical 2009 Favre year to your own Saints, lost at home in a record cold game on a Blair Walsh shanked FG, and got their chit pushed in by Philly on the cusp of being the first team to play in a home Superbowl game. So I get it, losing really sucks. But at least you guys have that 2009 Lombardi trophy to remember, some of us have basically nothing. So please, spare us the salt over 1 bad call. Every team deals with them, if you needed to rely on that 1 call to win your 13-3 team a home NFC championship game, then they didn't deserve to win any more than the Rams did.

lebron23james

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why can't plays be reviewed? You have 1 challenge...whats with the stingyness on reviews? lol

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Drew Brees has really started to show his age too.

Only deep ball he complete was a terrible throw, but the Rams DB made a terrible play on the ball that the receivers was camped under like he was fielding a punt.

GhostOfPoverty

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Calls are missed all game on both sides. With that said missed calls at the end of the game are always more important. If you have 1 missed call at the end of the game and the other team doesn't, that is a huge advantage.

A simple solution would be to let coachs challenge any play in the last 2 minutes. I have a feeling the reason they don't is because they like the endless debate...Kinda like how the college tournament should have 8 teams instead of 4. 8 is obvious, but they want the endless debate about it, instead of fixing it.

Again, why are missed calls at the end of games so much worse than ones earlier in the game of similar nature? Because you're arguing that everything but the last few minutes of football games are pointless in close games. So by that logic, why not just scrap the 4-quarter game format and go straight to OT type rules, except that both teams get at least 1 possession on offense even if the opening team scrores a TD? You're also assuming that things wouldn't change much in games based on earlier bad calls being made appropriately.

As for letting coaches challenge all plays in the final 2 minutes... don't we already have enough replay reviews to overturn calls as it is? Every scoring play and turnover is automatically reviewed, plus the coaches get at least 2 challenges per game besides those (3 if they win both of their first 2). Those last two minutes can already easily take 15+ minutes in real time depending on just how crazy things get in them, and you want to add to that at the end of both halves despite scoring plays and turnovers already being subject to automatic review? 60 minute NFL games would start taking 4+ hours apiece in a sport that non-football fans already deservedly complain about taking way too long with commercials/reviews/etc. compared to actual in-game action time.