• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

I thought whining about the refs was all pure cope? When did this change?

GhostOfPoverty

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The TV play clock is not typically on point with the one officials use. This comes up every season it seems like and the explanation is quite simply the same every time.

There's missed calls in every game, sure. However, there is not historically horrific missed calls at the very end of games, which the opposition doesn't even dispute having been missed - which costs a team a trip to the Super Bowl. That is probably the worst no-call in NFL history. So... yeah... it carries more weight than 20 delay of games combined. lol

Oh ryl? The worst no-call in NFL history, you say?

Saints high-low double hit on Favre @ 1:09, which the NFL even apologized to the Vikings for and admitted should have been called. Had they rightfully called RTP on this play, that first Favre INT is reversed and the Vikings automatically go to FG range on 1st down near the end of the 3rd quarter instead of having the Saints take the ball with the INT. This was just the worst no-call out of several others that should have been called as RTP or late hits on Favre in that game.

Now let's talk OT in that game. @ 2:02, the Vikings clearly cause a fumble before the Saints RB gets the ball to the 1st down, and he ends up falling short on 4th and inches by the time he regained possession. Even with booth review, the refs still gave that ridiculous spot to the Saints when it should have been Vikings ball via turnover on downs. Then @ 2:24, the Vikings LB is called for phantom PI when he was nowhere near touching the Saints receiver, on a ball that wasn't even catchable. @ 2:59, the Saints receiver clearly gets a trap ball, and the refs give them yet ANOTHER bogus call even after booth review to keep the Saints offense moving. The Saints then boot a routine 40-yard FG to end the game on sudden death OT rules at the time that allowed games to end with the first team to get the ball scoring only a FG.

Divisional Round of 1975 playoffs, Dallas vs. Minnesota. Dallas WR Pearson blatantly pushes off of Vikings DB Nate Wright for game-winning Hail Mary TD with just 14 seconds left on the clock. Even if you want to argue about whether or not that was a push-off, on that very same play, a Dallas O-lineman commits blatant holding by dragging Vikings DT Alan Page to the ground right as he was about to light Staubach up. At a minimum, the Cowboys should have been moved back 10 yards and had to replay the down.

My point with these examples isn't to whine about times the Vikings have been shafted in the past, but just to point how out ridiculously over-dramatic it is for people to be whining this hard over that Saints no-call PI. And everything else aside, why do the people crying so hard over that one play just conveniently forget the no-call face mask on Goff literally the drive beforehand that would have almost certainly resulted in the Rams taking a 4 point lead instead of tying the game, thereby completely changing the nature of that Saints drive? That no-call face mask on Goff literally stopped the Rams from taking a 4-point lead with a TD and instead had to settle for a game-tying FG, whereas the Saints still got the opportunity and did take a 3-point lead with their own FG after their no-call PI. Let's cut the revisionist history already.

GhostOfPoverty

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was definitely a bad missed call but I do think there is a bit of an overreaction taking place

Especially in wanting to review OT

I hate the Pats but had the Chiefs won the toss and got a TD we wouldn't hear a tenth of the complaints about the OT rules.

I'm as sick of seeing the Patriots in the Superbowl as anyone else outside of their fan base, but you're spot on. If the Chiefs had won that coin toss and scored a TD on their first drive to end it without the Patriots offense getting a chance to take the field in OT, the popular narrative would be focusing on the "Late game heroics of the young, future face of the NFL Patrick Mahomes as he bests the legend of Tom Brady". Instead, the Patriots pulled it off, so people are crying. Let's be honest, 95% of the people getting all bent out of shape about OT rules all of the sudden over that game would have found one reason or another to whine regardless of how the Pats won, so long as they won and the Chiefs lost. I say that as someone who was rooting for KC in that game.

As for the Saints no-call PI... to keep it simple, people are simply being emotional and over-dramatic to say things like it was "the worst no-call in NFL history!!!". Was it a bad call? Yes. But with that said, the Rams literally got the shaft out of a likely TD on the drive right before that, and the Saints still got the go-ahead FG 3-point lead after that no-call, followed by 3 more drives of football being played. That no-call PI wasn't even close to the most impactful officiating call/no-call in league history when you actually look objectively at the facts. People are acting like the Rams actually had that 4-point lead they'd have gotten had Goff gotten his rightful face mask call on the prior drive, and the clock struck zero as the Saints no-call PI play happened, thus ending the game right then and there for the Rams win.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm as sick of seeing the Patriots in the Superbowl as anyone else outside of their fan base, but you're spot on. If the Chiefs had won that coin toss and scored a TD on their first drive to end it without the Patriots offense getting a chance to take the field in OT, the popular narrative would be focusing on the "Late game heroics of the young, future face of the NFL Patrick Mahomes as he bests the legend of Tom Brady". Instead, the Patriots pulled it off, so people are crying. Let's be honest, 95% of the people getting all bent out of shape about OT rules all of the sudden over that game would have found one reason or another to whine regardless of how the Pats won, so long as they won and the Chiefs lost. I say that as someone who was rooting for KC in that game.

As for the Saints no-call PI... to keep it simple, people are simply being emotional and over-dramatic to say things like it was "the worst no-call in NFL history!!!". Was it a bad call? Yes. But with that said, the Rams literally got the shaft out of a likely TD on the drive right before that, and the Saints still got the go-ahead FG 3-point lead after that no-call, followed by 3 more drives of football being played. That no-call PI wasn't even close to the most impactful officiating call/no-call in league history when you actually look objectively at the facts. People are acting like the Rams actually had that 4-point lead they'd have gotten had Goff gotten his rightful face mask call on the prior drive, and the clock struck zero as the Saints no-call PI play happened, thus ending the game right then and there for the Rams win.

On OT: Couldn't care less who won that game (Was rooting for KC, but no real interest one way or the other).

I saw the other day, 66% of playoff games in OT since they changed the rule have been decided with the team winning the toss scoring a TD. That's 2/3rds of the playoff games with the other team NEVER touching the ball.

The NFL is the ONLY sport that has an OT where this occurs. The closest is NHL, but at least the faceoff is decided by the players, not a coin toss - you at least have a chance to control that. Every other sport has OT where each team gets a shot to score.

I don't have any great ideas to fix it...maybe make it like college, but it has to be TD or bust? Maybe like college but you start on your own 35 or 40 yard line? Just make it a FG competition - start at the 20 and keep moving back until only 1 kicker makes it: I don't know, but what I do know is that the current state of the NFL OT rule is broken and should be fixed.

It makes no sense to me that each year the NFL looks at ways to make the playing field more fair in each game with reviews, penalties, and new rules, but this rule never gets serious consideration.

But, for now, it is what it is...

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree and will even take it one step further. Had this been last year vs. the Jags, even if the Pats win the same way, there is a strong chance nobody bitches because nobody gives a shit about Blake Bortles not getting the ball. Plus, a lot of people would be happy to see Jalen Ramsey and the Jags D get shit on. The bitching is 99% based on popularity and superstar fandom, imo.

GhostOfPoverty

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On OT: Couldn't care less who won that game (Was rooting for KC, but no real interest one way or the other).

I saw the other day, 66% of playoff games in OT since they changed the rule have been decided with the team winning the toss scoring a TD. That's 2/3rds of the playoff games with the other team NEVER touching the ball.

The NFL is the ONLY sport that has an OT where this occurs. The closest is NHL, but at least the faceoff is decided by the players, not a coin toss - you at least have a chance to control that. Every other sport has OT where each team gets a shot to score.

I don't have any great ideas to fix it...maybe make it like college, but it has to be TD or bust? Maybe like college but you start on your own 35 or 40 yard line? Just make it a FG competition - start at the 20 and keep moving back until only 1 kicker makes it: I don't know, but what I do know is that the current state of the NFL OT rule is broken and should be fixed.

It makes no sense to me that each year the NFL looks at ways to make the playing field more fair in each game with reviews, penalties, and new rules, but this rule never gets serious consideration.

But, for now, it is what it is...

Honestly, you can blame the majority of games being decided by the first team scoring a TD in OT on the rules that ridiculously favor offense in general these days. Can you imagine implementing the current rules for the 2007 Pats, 1998 Vikes, those Montana/Jerry Rice 49'ers teams, etc.? They'd have slaughtered any teams in the league at will with the current rules back then.

But beyond that, I just don't give enough of a chit about the OT rules. I definitely felt that letting teams end it with an opening FG was bullchit, but defense is supppsed to matter too, and games aren't supposed to go down to OT regularly. Either hold them to a FG or less in OT to give your offense a shot, or beat them in regulation. I just don't see why everyone has a sore angus over the OT rules as they currently are. Fuk the college rules, they deviate from the standard rules and conditions of the game too much. The current rules are the perfect balance between fairness and getting games over with that are past regulation. That's my personal take on it.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly, you can blame the majority of games being decided by the first team scoring a TD in OT on the rules that ridiculously favor offense in general these days. Can you imagine implementing the current rules for the 2007 Pats, 1998 Vikes, those Montana/Jerry Rice 49'ers teams, etc.? They'd have slaughtered any teams in the league at will with the current rules back then.

But beyond that, I just don't give enough of a chit about the OT rules. I definitely felt that letting teams end it with an opening FG was bullchit, but defense is supppsed to matter too, and games aren't supposed to go down to OT regularly. Either hold them to a FG or less in OT to give your offense a shot, or beat them in regulation. I just don't see why everyone has a sore angus over the OT rules as they currently are. Fuk the college rules, they deviate from the standard rules and conditions of the game too much. The current rules are the perfect balance between fairness and getting games over with that are past regulation. That's my personal take on it.

I get what you are saying, and don't totally disagree...but if defense is supposed to matter, then why is it in 66% of the playoff games, one teams defense gets to sit on the bench and never take the field? Why aren't they "tested" to hold the other team to a FG, or without a TD?

I think some kind of variation of the college rule is the best way to: A. Allow both teams the ball and B. Keep the game from going on and on.

PickleRick

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have you seen these idiots trying to file lawsuits against the NFL to try and force a rematch of the nfccg? Cant make this up, new Orleans, please sober up.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
An interesting take:

One person who has grown tired of the constant talk is Rams left tackle Andrew Whitworth, who called into The Rich Eisen Show to talk about the game. Whitworth called the arguments from the Saints and their players “an excuse” and pointed out how the Saints had plenty of chances to close out the game after the play, saying “the reality is, football was played after that snap.”

Whitworth echoed the sentiment many Rams fans have been sharing on social media, imploring people to look at “how many times the [play] clock was on zero when they snapped it, and the different face mask calls that were missed in the game.”

Whitworth said many calls were missed on both sides, and that the missed face mask call on Jared Goff at the Saints’ 2-yard line on the preceding drive arguably had a bigger impact on the game because if the Rams had scored a touchdown there, the Saints would’ve been down four.

“It’s hard to say that the last foul is the foul you want to argue about that’s missed, I mean if you’ve got to argue about that one, then you have to go back and fix the others,” Whitworth added.
Witworth makes some valid points but shouldn't he be worrying about other things?

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:scratch: What is a "certain game"?
That's what I'm hoping for, he and his teamates worried about last week. Have the Rams held a practice yet this week? Reports mid-week were they hadn't.
Next week doesn't leave a lot of time for practice. For Ram fans I'm hoping Witworth and co. are prepared.

The Oldtimer

Older than dirt!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's what I'm hoping for, he and his teamates worried about last week. Have the Rams held a practice yet this week? Reports mid-week were they hadn't.
Next week doesn't leave a lot of time for practice. For Ram fans I'm hoping Witworth and co. are prepared.
Okay!!! :noidea:

DutchBird

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well,

I think much of all these issues about bad officiating seriously affecting the outcome of games could be avoided if a number of things were changed:

- Make refs younger: The NFL is seriously the only sports league out there where the officials are all but geriatrics. I see many refs out there at an age where in many other fast moving sports refs are labelled for mandatory retirement based on age (and satistics stating that the vast majority of them cannot keep up).

- Make the refs professional, from a younger age onwards.

- Better conditioning of the refs.

- Make ALL plays reviewable. Do figure out something concerning O-line fouls though; but the inconsistency concerning holding is a massive problem. On the one play, there are ticky tack calls on holds called, and just the next play complete tackles and strangulations are ignored.

- Hammer on consistency by officials. This is also one of the biggest issues; the near complete lack of consistency by NFL officials within a single game. A consistently bad referee can be dealt with by the teams; it is the inconsistency that is the biggest issue.

- Use technology. It is ridiculous that the play clock violations have to be observed by officials. Use he shot clock technology as present in the NBA for a while now.