• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

I thought whining about the refs was all pure cope? When did this change?

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Saints got screwed.
There were 2 refs within a couple feet of that PI no call. At minimum it was a helmet to helmet hit.
Then of course there was the other one.

So, in other words the Saints needed to be bailed out on a pass that had no chance of being completed due to some early contact? Why were the Saints throwing the ball instead of running (and forcing the Rams to use up their time outs)?Should we talk about uncalled facemask and horse collar fouls by the Saints earlier in the game? Had those been called, this situation may have been moot.

Complaining about missed calls always ends up a losing argument. Calls are missed all game long. It wasn't a scoring play and didn't cost your team points. It cost some time on the clock (which the Saints could've been chipping away at by running the ball instead of throwing incomplete passes while already in go-ahead FG range).

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Saints got screwed.
There were 2 refs within a couple feet of that PI no call. At minimum it was a helmet to helmet hit.
Then of course there was the other one.

Interesting....that was pi, no question.

No mentioned of them not taking advantage early in the game.

1st down @ LAR 22...they kick a FG.
They get a pick off Goff...1st down inside the Rams 20, they kick another FG
As Ghost mentioned...Payton passing the ball twice when they were up late allowing LA to preserve their last TO
Goff was clearly hit in the head in the pocket, no call

I always think there are too many other plays that were not executed to blame the loss on one play.

Myles

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting....that was pi, no question.

No mentioned of them not taking advantage early in the game.

1st down @ LAR 22...they kick a FG.
They get a pick off Goff...1st down inside the Rams 20, they kick another FG
As Ghost mentioned...Payton passing the ball twice when they were up late allowing LA to preserve their last TO
Goff was clearly hit in the head in the pocket, no call

I always think there are too many other plays that were not executed to blame the loss on one play.
I agree with most of this.
It's just that there were TWO officials within a few feet. If not PI, that play would have been called for the helmet to helmet contact 90% of the time in the regular season.
The Saints blew the game in other ways, but the refs blew it twice in the last couple minutes.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fact that I can repost this in every NFL thread the day after Conference Championship day is a problem for the sport:

Bottom line is this: EVERY close game in the NFL you can look at a penalty or non-call that 'determined' the outcome. Here we are a day after 2 OT championship games, which should be talked about as really exciting and fun, and all anyone talks about is the refs.

This is the primary reason I do not follow football closely. That and the brain damage. But the ref thing is a problem.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Things I'd blame the Rams loss on before the no-call PI if I were a Saints fan:

1. Blowing a 13-point lead at home

2. Sean Payton getting cute by passing on 1st and 2nd down just prior to no-call instead of running to burn the clock and Rams' time out.

3. The Saints D letting them score the game-tying FG with less than 2 minutes left in regulation.

4. Drew Brees and the Saints offense choking it away in OT with an INT when they got the ball first.

5. The Saints D allowing the game-winning OT FG by the Rams.

Cope harder. You're so salty, you'd wash away if it rained.
13 point lead is less than two possessions. You really expect every single team that has a 13 point lead at some point in a game to win? That’s the dumbest shit ever.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fact that I can repost this in every NFL thread the day after Conference Championship day is a problem for the sport:

Bottom line is this: EVERY close game in the NFL you can look at a penalty or non-call that 'determined' the outcome. Here we are a day after 2 OT championship games, which should be talked about as really exciting and fun, and all anyone talks about is the refs.

This is the primary reason I do not follow football closely. That and the brain damage. But the ref thing is a problem.

Yeah but another Cal QB is going to the Super Bowl! :thumb:

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, in other words the Saints needed to be bailed out on a pass that had no chance of being completed due to some early contact? Why were the Saints throwing the ball instead of running (and forcing the Rams to use up their time outs).

Because the almighty Peyton wanted the "kill shot" and never goes with common coaching sense!

NorEEzta

Behold: A Pale Horse
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Game of inches is it not? You go a whole game, forced to accept bad calls and making adjustments overcoming those bad calls, you'd think that an obvious call would be made. A bad call can kill momentum as much as a bad play.

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because the almighty Peyton wanted the "kill shot" and never goes with common coaching sense!

Reminds me of Steve Spurrier as FL coach . He was up what 40 points vs your birds and goes for a 2pt conv :L Karma

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with most of this.
It's just that there were TWO officials within a few feet. If not PI, that play would have been called for the helmet to helmet contact 90% of the time in the regular season.
The Saints blew the game in other ways, but the refs blew it twice in the last couple minutes.

The refs blew that call...imo the Saints blew the game.

DEF...you have a 2 possession lead 20-10 in the 3Q at home.

OFC...top 3 in the league and only score 3 more points thereafter...again on your home field.

I'm not disputing the refs blew that call, but they always miss calls...holding, p.i., I mentioned the blow to the head of Goff...we don't like seeing it, but just like players drop passes, make turnovers, etc there is a human element to the refs. If you miss too many you should be fired and get new ones in there, but they will miss calls too.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Refs do and can impact games, that's just reality whether people want to admit it or not... Refs will call the weakest PI calls where the DB barely touches the receiver, and then not call one where the DB doesn't play the ball, runs over the receiver while the ball is in the air, NO CALL !! That's the type of shit that drives fans crazy ... I think the league needs to seriously consider challenges for PI calls, we can't keep getting this so wrong when so much is at stake..

Myles

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The refs blew that call...imo the Saints blew the game.

DEF...you have a 2 possession lead 20-10 in the 3Q at home.

OFC...top 3 in the league and only score 3 more points thereafter...again on your home field.

I'm not disputing the refs blew that call, but they always miss calls...holding, p.i., I mentioned the blow to the head of Goff...we don't like seeing it, but just like players drop passes, make turnovers, etc there is a human element to the refs. If you miss too many you should be fired and get new ones in there, but they will miss calls too.
I think we are pretty much on the same page. I think you lean a little more towards the "bad calls happen, no biggie" side where I lean a bit more towards the "big deals should be made when poor calls at critical times happen". But we are close. I too think that the Saints shouldn't have put themselves in position to lose that game.

Curious, did you feel the same when the Steelers were victims of multiple blown calls against the Chargers last month?

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
13 point lead is less than two possessions. You really expect every single team that has a 13 point lead at some point in a game to win? That’s the dumbest shit ever.

I'll let him answer that, but I agree it's not realistic to expect a W from EVERY team.

That's not the situation at hand. What was at hand was a 14-3, one seeded team, with a top 3 OFC.

"13 point lead is less than two possessions"

Maybe I'm not reading this correctly thus the quotations...I thought the largest lead was 20-10...nonetheless, are you suggesting this deficit can be made up in one possession?

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll let him answer that, but I agree it's not realistic to expect a W from EVERY team.

That's not the situation at hand. What was at hand was a 14-3, one seeded team, with a top 3 OFC.

"13 point lead is less than two possessions"

Maybe I'm not reading this correctly thus the quotations...I thought the largest lead was 20-10...nonetheless, are you suggesting this deficit can be made up in one possession?
I’m saying you can overcome that deficit in two possessions, assuming the kicker doesn’t miss the extra points.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we are pretty much on the same page. I think you lean a little more towards the "bad calls happen, no biggie" side where I lean a bit more towards the "big deals should be made when poor calls at critical times happen". But we are close. I too think that the Saints shouldn't have put themselves in position to lose that game.

Curious, did you feel the same when the Steelers were victims of multiple blown calls against the Chargers last month?

I do think we're pretty close.

I think bad calls, missed calls will and do in every NFL game...just like a umpire is going to miss that pitch right at the knees that's a strike, but he calls it a ball. The human element of the game.

Now, I don't think it's no biggie...you get paid to make the right call...you miss a critical call that the league has to issue a statement (apologize but we blew this call) the league should be applying some type of punish.ment..a fine, not working playoff games next season...something.

Charger vs Steelers...good pick up. Oh the refs sucked for sure...for every game this season there is a folder in the Steelers folder...if you have some time feel free to see for yourself.

In case you don't, I mentioned the refs...almost as a side note. The venom was reserved for those truly at fault.