• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Realignment Thread

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nobody wants to fly to every game, at least not in the ACC. VT's biggest alumni beds are Richmond, Nova and the beach, which once again makes every division team outside of maybe Pitt a flight.

Did people not travel to VT games when yall were in the Big East?

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is how i would like it to work out
First Division
UNC
Duke
Wake
State
Clemson
Virginia
Georgia Tech

Newer Division
Florida State
Virginia Tech
Miami
Boston College
Syracuse
Pitt
Louisville

with what cross-division partners? You could almost drop that concept, but then look at UVA/VT... they are going to have to play each other every year.

This is pretty much academic, I know. I agree with 46 that it is unlikely ACC membership looks much like this for very long if ever.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WVU, Rutgers, Temple, UVA, Pitt were all drivable annual games.

It is all for naught. VT will be out of the ACC before Louisville joins, most likely. We MAY overlap for one season.

Gotcha

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
with what cross-division partners? You could almost drop that concept, but then look at UVA/VT... they are going to have to play each other every year.

This is pretty much academic, I know. I agree with 46 that it is unlikely ACC membership looks much like this for very long if ever.

46 is throwing that "we'll be gone before Louisville is here" biz like he KNoWS something ?? I hope they realign divisions and stick us in the north by tomorrow..we'd be heading to another conference by this time next week if that happened

But Swofford isn't that stupid

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
46 is throwing that "we'll be gone before Louisville is here" biz like he KNoWS something ?? I hope they realign divisions and stick us in the north by tomorrow..we'd be heading to another conference by this time next week if that happened

But Swofford isn't that stupid

Would you guys pay the $50 million buyout, and do you think Maryland will have to pay it? Would the ACC really get 250 million dollars if Virginia Tech, UVa, GT, Clemson, and FSU were to bolt?

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
WVU, Rutgers, Temple, UVA, Pitt were all drivable annual games.

It is all for naught. VT will be out of the ACC before Louisville joins, most likely. We MAY overlap for one season.

Ya think?

Just because UMD was replaced with Louisville (an upgrade in both football and basketball)?

VT would be a nice add-on for either the Big 10 or the SEC, but it is plausible that the ACC could be viable in both football and basketball, isn't it?

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would you guys pay the $50 million buyout, and do you think Maryland will have to pay it? Would the ACC really get 250 million dollars if Virginia Tech, UVa, GT, Clemson, and FSU were to bolt?

I don't think Maryland will pay the entire fine, and I don't believe the other teams would either. I thought I read somewhere that the Under Armour CEO (Maryland Alum.) cashed in a bunch of stock or something and may fork over a large amount of cash to help with this. I am sure the B1G may pick up some of the tab as well. I would be surprised if they have to pay any more than $30 mill. (which is still a ton of $$$). Be assured, alot of eyes are gonna be on what the ACC-MD settlement will be, because that may pave the way for the rest of teams (and give them a golden #) to bolt.

These shunned conferences don't want to get into a long, drawn out court battle where the departing team will go to court, they will argue that the conference is no longer viable to stay in from a financial standpoint, and probably get the fine knocked down considerably anyway. Not sure what anyone has to gain from that. The $$$ the ACC has spit out is nothing more than a scare tactic, and if a courting conference wants a team bad enough, the conference and team will negotiate behind closed doors, and the conference will come up with some $$ to help the cause.

Ex. If the SEC wants VT bad enough they will pay $10-$20 mill for their departure. VT may have to "borrow" or raise the rest which could be paid back (with interest). How much would the SEC TV contract increase with the addition of the DC/VA market?? I don't know, but I would say their investment would pay off...quickly.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think the SEC or B1G would pay any of the fee. However, they would happily float the money on an interest free or low interest loan and take it back from the bowl payouts over 7-8 years. Even if you took 7mil out per year, the payout would be more than the current ACC payout per team.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Maryland will pay the entire fine, and I don't believe the other teams would either. I thought I read somewhere that the Under Armour CEO (Maryland Alum.) cashed in a bunch of stock or something and may fork over a large amount of cash to help with this. I am sure the B1G may pick up some of the tab as well. I would be surprised if they have to pay any more than $30 mill. (which is still a ton of $$$). Be assured, alot of eyes are gonna be on what the ACC-MD settlement will be, because that may pave the way for the rest of teams (and give them a golden #) to bolt.

These shunned conferences don't want to get into a long, drawn out court battle where the departing team will go to court, they will argue that the conference is no longer viable to stay in from a financial standpoint, and probably get the fine knocked down considerably anyway. Not sure what anyone has to gain from that. The $$$ the ACC has spit out is nothing more than a scare tactic, and if a courting conference wants a team bad enough, the conference and team will negotiate behind closed doors, and the conference will come up with some $$ to help the cause.

Ex. If the SEC wants VT bad enough they will pay $10-$20 mill for their departure. VT may have to "borrow" or raise the rest which could be paid back (with interest). How much would the SEC TV contract increase with the addition of the DC/VA market?? I don't know, but I would say their investment would pay off...quickly.

The Under Armour CEO said he didn't support the decision and would not be helping them with the buyout, didnt he? Would the Big 12 help pay for Clemson and Florida State as well? Because, lets say both schools in NC, and VA plus GT, Clemson and FSU leave would the ACC really get $350 million from these schools?

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure it would depend on the situation at the time. Are they courting VT or is VT begging to be admitted to The XXX Conference?? Maybe that might be the difference in how much "help" they would get.

FWIW, They say that the B12 paid nearly 1/2 of WVU's $20 million exit fee to the Big East (approx. $9-10 mill). Also read that (as you said), 1/2 of the money was fronted, half of it was "forgiven" . I don't know if it or what has ever truly been confirmed, but numerous sources have said something of the sort.

EDIT: Must have heard some bad info. a few days ago at the scuttlebutt concerning MD and UA. Sounds like you have your finger on the pulse up there. I thought you lived in Pittsburgh...

Last edited by a moderator:

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I told you that I live in College Park which is only slightly safer than Tripoli, and I rep not one but TWO ACC schools, and I am a preppy white guy and all I get is "Thanks". Have you BEEN to College Park.

How about "Godspeed young man. Stay safe."

or

"How do you make it through the day?"

This is PG County!

;)