• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Realignment Thread

Lumbee09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ACC Sports ‏@ACCSports
ACC Will Vote On Expansion Wednesday Morning

People seem to think Louisville is the leading candidate now.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah. Probably the best option out there not named ND. Disney also reported that they are discussing UCONN and Cincinatti as well, but likely would not add them until their hand is forced.

Last edited by a moderator:

hokiehi21

DC sports are cursed
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@McMurphyESPN
BREAKING: ACC votes to add Louisville sources tell @ESPN. Cards will be 6th team to leave Big East for ACC

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll take Louisville over UConn any day. ACC now needs to develop some kind of conference network in effort to save the league.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I'll take Louisville over UConn any day. ACC now needs to develop some kind of conference network in effort to save the league.

+1

to be honest i would have traded MD for Louisville if given the option.

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Louisville is probably the best option that was on the table. The ACC is playing for time here. Would definitely like to see an ACC network, but is that even an option with our current ESPN deal?

rockhead44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not an option unless ESPN wants such a thing. We signed over all TV rights in the deal.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The bottom line is still this:

Until conference members start to beat SEC and Big Ten teams on a regular basis and have multiple top ten teams and 5-6 in the top 25, the conference will continue to fester in what it is. Will Louisville, Pitt and Cuse help us to that? I don't think so but who the hell knows. The ACC product on the field still sucks.

VTfoozball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The ACC is struggling just to stay within sight of the big 4 BCS conferences. IMO the Big East and ACC shouldn't even be automatic qualifier conferences. Just look at what has been happening on the field lately. Like has been said before by others I think we're heading toward a playoff system where only teams from 4 major conferences can get in. The ACC is not going to be one of those 4

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The conference is definitely playing for time. I don't see much of a scenario for the ACC to survive assuming there will be 4-16 team superconferences. I understand why they have not done it, but I wonder why they have not even attempted to pull a B1G and pozh a decent program from another conference, in particular the Big12. IMO that is the ONLY way the ACC survives in that scenario, is if some of the B12 teams start bolting for the Pac12 or SEC (namely Oklahoma and Oklahoma State, or Texas). None of those teams worried about being left out, nor should they be. That is a very, very unlikely scenario. It is just a matter of time before the first ACC domino falls.

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Am I missing something? The ACC would have zero chance of pulling a B1G or SEC team, so why even try? Same for the Big12 at this point, and none of their teams would be a good fit anyway.

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
in the meantime... what does the ACC do with Louisville, division- and partner-wise? Maryland's crossover partner was UVA. I doubt the prospect of playing Louisville as a crossover appeals to UVA anymore than playing BC appeals to us. I'm betting that's the way it will turn out, but wouldn't it be nice to see the ACC rework the divisions something like this:

Division A - Division B
------------------------
Syracuse - BC
Pitt - Louisville
VT - UVA
NC State - UNC
Wake - Duke
GT - Clemson
Miami - FSU

When it comes to basketball, Maryland had 2 primary partners in Pitt and UVA. UVA might not be too upset about swapping Louisville for UMd. But any excuse to move things around, right? I would rather see this (separated into pods):

BC - ND and Syracuse
ND - BC and Pitt
Pitt - ND and Syracuse
Syracuse - BC and Pitt

Louisville - UVA and VT
UVA - Louisville and VT
VT - Louisville and UVA

Duke - UNC and Wake
UNC - Duke and NC State
NC State - UNC and Wake
Wake - Duke and NC State

Clemson - FSU and GT
FSU - Clemson and Miami
GT - Clemson and Miami
Miami - FSU and GT

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
here's how things would look if Louisville just drops into UMd's old shoes, which is probably to be expected

Atlantic - Coastal
-------------------
BC - VT
Syracuse - Pitt
Louisville - UVA
NC State - UNC
Wake - Duke
Clemson - GT
FSU - Miami

basketball
------------
BC - Notre Dame and Syracuse
Clemson - FSU and GT
Duke - UNC and Wake
FSU - Clemson and Miami
GT - Clemson and Notre Dame
Louisville - Pitt and UVA
Miami - FSU and VT
UNC - Duke and NC State
NC State - UNC and Wake
Notre Dame - BC and GT
Pitt - Louisville and Syracuse
Syracuse - BC and Pitt
UVA - Louisville and VT
VT - Miami and UVA
Wake - Duke and NC State

Rocco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The bottom line is still this:

Until conference members start to beat SEC and Big Ten teams on a regular basis and have multiple top ten teams and 5-6 in the top 25, the conference will continue to fester in what it is. Will Louisville, Pitt and Cuse help us to that? I don't think so but who the hell knows. The ACC product on the field still sucks.

Louisville beats its SEC rival consistently.

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
i'm starting to think that 20 team conferences may happen .. think of it this way -- if it's about $$ and conferences increasing their footprint, why not INCREASE THE FOOTPRINT .. the drawback is that football is where the money is at and certain teams don't bring enough (football wise) to get an even slice of the pie ... the b1g has enough reach to get 6 more quality programs too though.

and 20 .. as funny as it sounds .. would just break back down to 10 team divisions (basically where it started from -- 10 team conferences) ... just named differently. play round robin in the division, division champs are in the conf champ game, and winner is in the playoff ... why the hell not?

there are a lot of reasons why this likely will not happen (quite like this) .. but there's some merit to a system like this.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is how i would like it to work out
First Division
UNC
Duke
Wake