• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ray Rice super thread.

fredmccallyRTR

Hoopla Cash
$ 490.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does the NFLPA absolutely have to defend him? I've seen a ton of current players come out and say he needs to be out of the league. So if the Ravens or the league took further action, could the NFLPA not defend him on the grounds that most of it's members don't want them to? Or could the NFLPA even kick him out?

By the way these are all serious questions, I'm genuinely curious as to the legal ramifications of this.

Even the union has to have some code of conduct policy, so not necessarily.

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We knew that SOMETHING had to have happened before the :censored:dragged her out of the elevator. Now we have the video. And It's beyond me why the airhead married him. Oh yeah. $$$

Anywaay. Ray Rice should be banned for life. And Goodell should should get canned.

Maybe she just married him so she could divorce him and take half his money. God know the a-hole deserves it.

I agree. Ray Rice should be banned for life.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does the NFLPA absolutely have to defend him? I've seen a ton of current players come out and say he needs to be out of the league. So if the Ravens or the league took further action, could the NFLPA not defend him on the grounds that most of it's members don't want them to? Or could the NFLPA even kick him out?

By the way these are all serious questions, I'm genuinely curious as to the legal ramifications of this.

I'd assume he paid his dues so they have to do something for him.

MISKO

STILLERS
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We all knew this was bad even before the video was released...now we know just how bad...I'm surprised the NFL made a judgement prior to knowing all the data...I was one saying Rice is paying the price, time to move on, but it would be difficult as a Ravens fan to support this guy after only sitting out 2 games.

their coach could bench him ...harbaugh has an 8pm presser tonight according to espn radio

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We all knew this was bad even before the video was released...now we know just how bad...I'm surprised the NFL made a judgement prior to knowing all the data...I was one saying Rice is paying the price, time to move on, but it would be difficult as a Ravens fan to support this guy after only sitting out 2 games.

I think the NFL actually believed the video would never leak out, or if it did well after everyone associated had moved on.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
their coach could bench him ...harbaugh has an 8pm presser tonight according to espn radio

Probably BS just like his brother...able to cast stones and opinions until it is actually his team that would take the hit.

Dolemite censored

Bigfoot is real
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In a court of law the fact that one of the attackers is a female is completely irrelevant to the situation.

And the fact of the matter is that the "victim" in this case threw the first blow and was attempting to strike the defendant when the final and decisive blow was thrown. And the prosecutor would have the "victim" on the stand testifying for the defense saying that she started it and was attempting to fight when she was hit.

And in New Jersey there is a law on the books that automatically downgrades a simple assault charge down to petty disorderly if the fight was consensual. Which it clearly was. Meaning there is little to no chance of convicting Rice of assault with this video.

Again not trying to condone his actions....just talking about how the law would view it. This video in a lot of ways shows the prosecutor was smart to plead him down.

She starts the fight, gets her ass kicked, he gets arrested.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NFL handed out its punishment. It cannot go back and re-punish him. We live in a fucking democratic society with rules, people. The NFL has had this policy for domestic violence before, but NOW because everybody saw the video he has to be punished worse? Fuck off. I really am getting tired of this shit with TMZ. Part of Rice's plea bargain was that the footage from inside the elevator would never be shown. And you know what? I'd be perfectly okay with it getting leaked if someone inside the dept. was generally disgusted by what they saw, but chances are it's somebody with an ulterior motive and could give a shit less about Rice's wife. The same goes for TMZ. Their video is bringing in shitloads of views. But all this gets overlooked if you get a strong enough public reaction. Same thing happened with Sterling. The way TMZ's material (in Sterling's as well as Rice's cases) were obtained was through illegal means.

Be very careful. Like I've said in the past, yes, these guys need to be punished, but we have to go by the book. We can't just allow popular sentiment to trump what our rules are.

NP - hopefully the Ravens either cut him or bench him for the entire year. If not - then whatever comes his way from fans, players, etc is fair game. Is that completely fair? Perhaps not but neither is cold cocking a woman when nobody else is around. BTW - your take on Sterling is flawed - he is a public personality & the rules are much different in that case.

fredmccallyRTR

Hoopla Cash
$ 490.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NFL handed out its punishment. It cannot go back and re-punish him. We live in a fucking democratic society with rules, people. The NFL has had this policy for domestic violence before, but NOW because everybody saw the video he has to be punished worse? Fuck off. I really am getting tired of this shit with TMZ. Part of Rice's plea bargain was that the footage from inside the elevator would never be shown. And you know what? I'd be perfectly okay with it getting leaked if someone inside the dept. was generally disgusted by what they saw, but chances are it's somebody with an ulterior motive and could give a shit less about Rice's wife. The same goes for TMZ. Their video is bringing in shitloads of views. But all this gets overlooked if you get a strong enough public reaction. Same thing happened with Sterling. The way TMZ's material (in Sterling's as well as Rice's cases) were obtained was through illegal means.

Be very careful. Like I've said in the past, yes, these guys need to be punished, but we have to go by the book. We can't just allow popular sentiment to trump what our rules are.

My friend. Democracy means exactly not shit when it comes to a private organization like the NFL. Also, who cares about the motive of the person who released the video? It in no way changes what happened. - Also, the idea in a 'democracy' is that when authorities fuck up like in this case they can be held responsible.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I certainly hope that you are joking. If this moron had a half a brain he would have simply either stayed off the elevator or got off on the next floor. Just take a breather & go somewhere else for a while. Doesn't take a genius to figure that out.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My friend. Democracy means exactly not shit when it comes to a private organization like the NFL. Also, who cares about the motive of the person who released the video? It in no way changes what happened. - Also, the idea in a 'democracy' is that when authorities fuck up like in this case they can be held responsible.

That's what I'm thinking as well. The NFL is his employer, or at least the Ravens are. They can end his contract for any reason whatsoever. We have seen plenty of public figures fired from their contracted jobs because of sponsors and viewer backlash.

Will be interesting to see how all the NFL sponsors feel about this new video. THAT is where the action could be forced.

fredmccallyRTR

Hoopla Cash
$ 490.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a complaint summons. It's stated in capital letters at the top.

Its essentially the same thing except the accused is released immediately instead of having to post bail.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Agree on re-trying (so to speak) what's done is done by the NFL...but...the fact they NFL made a ruling here w/o knowing all the details is what makes them look shoddy.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's what I'm thinking as well. The NFL is his employer, or at least the Ravens are. They can end his contract for any reason whatsoever. We have seen plenty of public figures fired from their contracted jobs because of sponsors and viewer backlash.

Will be interesting to see how all the NFL sponsors feel about this new video. THAT is where the action could be forced.

I agree, but I'm not so sure that it would be as easy as you might think as the union would be involved in some capacity, I'm sure.

Not saying it's right/wrong, but when you have unions, nothing is every straight forward in situations like these.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rice is going to be cut. No way they keep him after this.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

and here he is... unbelievable. :L There are probably a small % of isolated incidents where a woman initiates and engages in a physical altercation with a man and a deserves a smack. Even in those case the physical reaction from the guy should not exceed what is necessary. But this is not one of those case... not even close and I feel sorry for any woman involved with someone who thinks otherwise.